Pages:
Author

Topic: [PULL] Wallet Private Key Encryption - page 4. (Read 16634 times)

Activity: 755
Merit: 515
May 18, 2011, 09:39:10 AM
It will still show up on the process list ('ps aux') at least for some duration.
Hence the "Doesn't mean the point isn't valid but still..."

I would be concerned with the timeout mechanism creating a race condition. A virus/trojan is going to be able to spend the coins faster than the user. But I guess it could just be added to the already-long list of JSON-RPC problems to be addressed by any contending protocol.
If you are concerned about getting the security that tight, there are way more pressing problems.  Memory dumping bitcoin, replacing the bitcoin binary which makes the rpc calls, etc, etc, etc.  But yea, you would have to enter password the way they were originally, and I agree with gavin, that is not nearly as good.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186
May 18, 2011, 09:34:32 AM
This will avoid your password to be stored in history files
If you dont want something in .bash_history (probably works for others too) you can just prefix the command with a space.
Doesn't mean the point isn't valid but still...
It will still show up on the process list ('ps aux') at least for some duration.

I would be concerned with the timeout mechanism creating a race condition. A virus/trojan is going to be able to spend the coins faster than the user. But I guess it could just be added to the already-long list of JSON-RPC problems to be addressed by any contending protocol.
May 18, 2011, 09:32:05 AM
This will avoid your password to be stored in history files
If you dont want something in .bash_history (probably works for others too) you can just prefix the command with a space.
Doesn't mean the point isn't valid but still...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
May 18, 2011, 09:05:49 AM
Would it be good enough if I volunteered to write a little perl or python or php or bash script that reads the passphrase from a file descriptor and then posts the right JSON-HTTP request?

If the consensus is to teach bitcoind to read arguments from file descriptors, somebody please figure out if there's a standard for how other unix apps do that.  Here's what curl does:
If you start the data with the letter @, the rest should be a file name to read the data from, or - if you want curl to read the data from stdin.
legendary
Activity: 1072
Merit: 1174
May 18, 2011, 08:29:29 AM
I'd like to see a way to pass the passphrase through a file descriptor instead of on the command-line, so it isn't visible on the process list.
Activity: 540
Merit: 500
May 18, 2011, 08:05:15 AM
I would suggest :
walletpassword [password]

If password is not on the command line, bitcoin will prompt for it. This will avoid your password to be stored in history files (or anything else) and still allow putting all in 1 command if you prefer. Same for walletpasswordchange rpc.
May 18, 2011, 07:37:29 AM
walletpassword
A walletpasswordchange seems like it would be very handy, too.
Added, committed, rebased, pushed.
May 17, 2011, 08:22:06 PM
walletpassword

... which would store in memory for seconds.  If you know your server is secure, you'd give a very long at startup.
Ah, good idea.  Hadn't really given any real thought towards RPC stuff, just kind of did it, I suppose just doing it at 1 AM is never the right approach.  The fact that that that fits perfectly with the current method of password handling is also quite nice Smiley.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
May 17, 2011, 08:15:01 PM
Random thought RE: passwords and RPC:

I was thinking a better way of handling the password might be a new RPC command:

walletpassword

... which would store in memory for seconds.  If you know your server is secure, you'd give a very long at startup.

That same mechanism might be very handy in the GUI (somebody who knows more about password security might have something intelligent to say about the tradeoff between the risk of storing hashed-password in memory versus the convenience of not having to constantly re-enter it).

A walletpasswordchange seems like it would be very handy, too.

Tacking onto the beginning of RPC argument lists seems like the wrong thing to do.
May 17, 2011, 07:34:29 PM
I suppose the title speaks for itself, but here is the commit blurb:
Add wallet privkey encryption.

This commit adds support for ckeys, or enCrypted private keys, to the wallet.
All keys are stored in memory in their encrypted form and thus the passphrase
is required from the user to spend coins, or to create new addresses.

Keys are encrypted with AES-256-CBC through OpenSSL's EVP library. The key is
calculated via EVP_BytesToKey using AES256 with (by default) 1000 rounds and
a random salt.

By default, the user's wallet remains unencrypted until they call the RPC
command encryptwallet or, from the GUI menu, Options->
Encrypt Wallet.

When the user is attempting to call RPC functions which require the password
to unlock the wallet, an error will be returned unless they call
walletpassword

Pull request is at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/232
https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/352
Now rebased on wallet class + mostly based off of Pieter's suggested model.

EDIT: New commit blurb to match changes.
Pages:
Jump to: