Pages:
Author

Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required] - page 30. (Read 207945 times)

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1025
Deleting a transaction from your wallet does not remove it from the rest of the network.  If it is still floating around out there, your node will get it back from the network and put it back in your wallet.

For best results, you need to unplug your network cable before starting bitcoin after deleting the transaction.  Then you can create a new transaction.  Be absolutely sure that the new transaction uses at least one input used by the old transaction, or you'll end up paying double.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
Hi! I've tried to use pywallet (current jackjack-jj master) to delete some long unconfirmed transactions from my 0.8.1 wallet.dat, per the instructions at...

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.944529

After the deletions, the client no longer reports the transactions in 'listtransactions' or 'gettransaction'... so far so good. But, it doesn't seem to have rediscovered the still-unspent old outputs. A launch with '-rescan' didn't help.

Did I miss a step? Does something else about the 0.8.1 indexing need to be reset/rebuilt?

So you deleted the tx, you made the rescan, and after that the client still doesn't show the deleted unconfirmed transaction?
If so, the client should definitely count your unspent coins in your balance
Did you check on blockchain.info if the transaction really never broadcasted?

Deleted the txns (several in a chain), allowed the rescan to complete. The client still shows the balance depleted, as if it still had the unconfirmed transactions. But, requesting the unconfirmed transaction by txid gives nothing.

I actually pushed the problem txns directly to blockchain.info, in the hopes that'd help them get mined... but over 16 hours later, no luck on any of the chain of 6+ txs (each dependent on the one before).

I've now also tried a full -reindex=1 -txindex=1 launch... still no luck. The needed prior output doesn't reappear in 'listunspent'... whatever pywallet did to delete the transaction didn't undo the record of that output being used... nor does -rescan, -reindex, etc.

I was hoping pywallet would leave things in a state where I could issue a fresh, higher-fee transaction as if the unconfirmed txns never existed... but now think I may have to do that with the raw txn api... and consider this wallet damaged by the pywallet txn-deletions.
i had this problem too but luckily my tx got included some hours later. unfortunately i didnt find a way to fix it.
Activity: 59
Merit: 0
Hi! I've tried to use pywallet (current jackjack-jj master) to delete some long unconfirmed transactions from my 0.8.1 wallet.dat, per the instructions at...

After the deletions, the client no longer reports the transactions in 'listtransactions' or 'gettransaction'... so far so good. But, it doesn't seem to have rediscovered the still-unspent old outputs. A launch with '-rescan' didn't help.

Did I miss a step? Does something else about the 0.8.1 indexing need to be reset/rebuilt?

So you deleted the tx, you made the rescan, and after that the client still doesn't show the deleted unconfirmed transaction?

Deleted the txns (several in a chain), allowed the rescan to complete. The client still shows the balance depleted, as if it still had the unconfirmed transactions. But, requesting the unconfirmed transaction by txid gives nothing.

I actually pushed the problem txns directly to blockchain.info, in the hopes that'd help them get mined... but over 16 hours later, no luck on any of the chain of 6+ txs (each dependent on the one before).

I've now also tried a full -reindex=1 -txindex=1 launch... still no luck. The needed prior output doesn't reappear in 'listunspent'... whatever pywallet did to delete the transaction didn't undo the record of that output being used... nor does -rescan, -reindex, etc.

I was hoping pywallet would leave things in a state where I could issue a fresh, higher-fee transaction as if the unconfirmed txns never existed... but now think I may have to do that with the raw txn api... and consider this wallet damaged by the pywallet txn-deletions.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

legendary
People are boring... maybe if I uploaded the wallet.dat file to some public space ... gotta make it look a little interesting. Perhaps the DDoS attacks will stop as "they" will attempt cracking this.
Sadistic but funny!
Activity: 59
Merit: 0

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
People are boring... maybe if I uploaded the wallet.dat file to some public space ... gotta make it look a little interesting. Perhaps the DDoS attacks will stop as "they" will attempt cracking this.
legendary
Not bad
Not many people seem to be interested though
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
That definitely will be useful (at least for me)
I have a truecrypt'd wallet that I never open

Good news: trying to spend the coins doesn't corrupt the wallet

So cold storage addresses are out.
Nope. You can use a cold PC to 'calculate' the public key from the private key

I meant, cold addresses that do not belong to you. (like cold addresses of other people.) If it's yours, of course you have private key and can derive the public key using brainwallet or bitaddress.

Trying to spend coins results in an error. Of course, you don't have the private key.

So there are two uses for this that I see:
1. Watch your own wallet
2. Watch other people's wallet (if they've spent coins already)

Without needing to check on hosted wallets or hosted block chains.

Edit: Having too much fun. I got tired after importing less than 100 addresses:

legendary
That definitely will be useful (at least for me)
I have a truecrypt'd wallet that I never open

Good news: trying to spend the coins doesn't corrupt the wallet

So cold storage addresses are out.
Nope. You can use a cold PC to 'calculate' the public key from the private key
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
1. Imported a couple of "rich" addresses that had the public key in the blockchain.
2. bitcoin-qt -rescan (this took awhile.)
3. hmmmmm... interesting, I now have a local copy of all the transactions from those "rich" addresses. Of course, I can't spend any of it.

4. Time to add everything I can and create a nice "fat" wallet. (It's easier to just photoshop the pictures if you want to fake 3 million bitcoins.)
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
oh. okay. I was going to try and import the richest bitcoin addresses. It seems you were able to do that with one of the early blocks? As long as whoever controls that public key has spent anything, then we should be able to get the public key in the format that pywallet needs?

So cold storage addresses are out. But any address that spent anything or ever went online are in.

Will do another experiment later.
legendary
 Grin

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/5590/satoshit.png
(May Satoshi excuse that lame filename...)
legendary
You can send a satoshi (or even 0) to the address and look at http://blockexplorer.com/address/1youraddress to find it.

As of 0.7.0, "Transactions with zero-value outputs are considered non-standard". Release notes: http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/project/bitcoin/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.7.0/README.txt
Wow I didn't know, thanks

The public key is only revealed when spending from an address, so you'd need to send coins to a given address, then spend them again in order to see the public key in blockexplorer.
Yeah absolutely, I should sleep a bit more I guess
And that would mean that you have the private key in one of your wallets, so it's easier to dump the public key with pywallet or anything else (does the satoshi client do that?)
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
You can send a satoshi (or even 0) to the address and look at http://blockexplorer.com/address/1youraddress to find it.

As of 0.7.0, "Transactions with zero-value outputs are considered non-standard". Release notes: http://kent.dl.sourceforge.net/project/bitcoin/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.7.0/README.txt

The public key is only revealed when spending from an address, so you'd need to send coins to a given address, then spend them again in order to see the public key in blockexplorer.
legendary
7.1: I'll fix that soon
12: Yes, sadly you need the public key, the address is not enough. You can send a satoshi (or even 0) to the address and look at http://blockexplorer.com/address/1youraddress to find it.
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
1. Back up existing wallet.
2. Close bitcoin-qt.
3. Delete old wallet (it is backed up already.)
4. Open bitcoin-qt, new wallet created. Encrypt wallet with password "testing"
5. Close bitcoin-qt.
6. Download pywallet (PWI_0.0.3.exe)
7. Do the dance, click yes/go/next/i agree/ok/are we there yet?/etc.
7.1 Didn't work yet, need twisted.
8. Download twisted. Installed. (Twisted-13.0.0.win32-py2.7.exe)
9. pywallet.py --datadir=. --web --passphrase=testing
10. Dump. Works.
11. Dump keys. addr,sec. Works. Just what I wanted for paper wallets.
12. hmmmmm.. It needs the public key in 04-hex format? I can't just add it the way I see addresses? in base58 I mean.

I look at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_Bitcoin_addresses

And the address testing suite at http://gobittest.appspot.com/Address

It seems I'd need to brute force the 04 public key if all I have is the base58 public key (or bitcoin address.)

Well, at least I get my key list.
legendary
I didn't think about this but yeah it can be fun!

I just pushed the new version that can import read-only addresses in encrypted wallets
Tell me how it's going
legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
This is going to be fun. I can go add someone else's address and monitor their wallets (you can already do this just by looking at blockchain explorers and other apps that access those web hosted blockchains.)

You'd have people uploading random wallet.dat files with non-accessible bitcoins and hackers are going to wasting time trying to crack the encryption, and when they do, it's the wrong password, or the wrong private key.
legendary
Yep, that works!
I'll make a form to add read-only addresses soon
Pages:
Jump to: