Pages:
Author

Topic: Pywallet 2.2: manage your wallet [Update required] - page 34. (Read 207931 times)

kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024
On the command line, use the importprivkey command.

EDIT: Using this utility? or the bitcoind utility?  bitcoind --help doesn't show any options for importing a private key.

I'm not 100% prepared to use a 3rd party utility unless/until someone confirms it works with the latest official bitcoind client and an unencrypted wallet.

In the standard client.  Don't use --help, just use help--help means you are asking about startup parameters.  help means that you are asking about RPC calls / daemon commands.

It really is just
Code:
bitcoind importprivkey 

but you may need to play with quotes and escapes, depending on your system.  The WIF key is the one labelled Privkey: in vanitygen's output, it starts with a 5.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0

EDIT: Using this utility? or the bitcoind utility?  bitcoind --help doesn't show any options for importing a private key.

I'm not 100% prepared to use a 3rd party utility unless/until someone confirms it works with the latest official bitcoind client and an unencrypted wallet.
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024
I am in the same boat.....trying to export private keys for use in blockchain.info wallet which says it will import the json dump file from pywallet.

The pywallet.py --dumpwallet was running and showing all of the data on screen. I could not find any exported .json file in either of the two Bitcoin locations on Windows. Also tried --datadir as well and didn't make a difference.
I'm not sure if this is why I'm having trouble but I did pywallet.py --dumpwallet >C:\myexp.json and it would generate everything in the format that is in the previous post with the output in a file.

When copying this text and pasting into the blockchain.info import screen it says it could not decode data. I am running the 0.6.2 client with the legacy wallet format.

Is it looking for a different format?

Read this thread and all others (that my search turned up), and still can't exactly figure out how to get my vanity addresses loaded into a Wallet. Even a Clean wallet. (Using the latest, patched official client).

Basic steps?

Activity: 46
I am in the same boat.....trying to export private keys for use in blockchain.info wallet which says it will import the json dump file from pywallet.

The pywallet.py --dumpwallet was running and showing all of the data on screen. I could not find any exported .json file in either of the two Bitcoin locations on Windows. Also tried --datadir as well and didn't make a difference.
I'm not sure if this is why I'm having trouble but I did pywallet.py --dumpwallet >C:\myexp.json and it would generate everything in the format that is in the previous post with the output in a file.

When copying this text and pasting into the blockchain.info import screen it says it could not decode data. I am running the 0.6.2 client with the legacy wallet format.

Read this thread and all others (that my search turned up), and still can't exactly figure out how to get my vanity addresses loaded into a Wallet. Even a Clean wallet. (Using the latest, patched official client).

Basic steps?
Activity: 289
Merit: 250

Activity: 67
Merit: 130
I just added ECDSA compressed keys support, introduced in 0.5.99.
https://github.com/joric/pywallet (pure python)
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
If Pywallet is still in development, suggestions for future versions:

1. Please implement backwards compatibility with previous versions of the Bitcoin client (such as v0.3.20.2) to enable Pywallet's use without closing the client.
2. Create a GUI, to simplify its use and enable a wider audience to be able to appreciate the easy functionality of Pywallet.
3. Add an option to combine two or more wallets.

Excellent Essential Tool. +1
Activity: 228
Merit: 100
Hello,

I've played a bit with vanitygen and I want to import the privkey now, but when I
 run pywallet the following exception is thrown:
Code:
  File "pywallet.py", line 10
    from bsddb.db import *
       ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

I'm running ubuntu 11.10 and I've installed all the dependencies that are listed on github.
Any help is very appreciated Smiley

regards, talpan
Activity: 42
Merit: 1000
For LTC use this combination of flags:
--otherversion=48 --importhex
--importprivkey=

I have imported several LTC keys so far
 they correctly appear in the GUI,
but cuz i have not bother to download blockchain
i dunno will the coins transfer away  or not Smiley

Let me know, if you can spend yours Smiley
Activity: 13
Oh, wow! Thank you (and everyone else who has worked on it) for this awesome tool. It totally saved me, I was able to use it to dump JSON of my wallet. For some reason Bitcoin-qt would never actually open my wallet.

Then I realized it has a super awesome web interface via localhost.
This is brilliant.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
Very nice tool. Can this be used for litecoin wallets?
If it uses the same type of wallet, yes.
Anyway, make a backup of your litecoin wallet and make a try
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Very nice tool. Can this be used for litecoin wallets?
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Watching.
Activity: 504
so i've been spammed with dust on namecoin and my wallet is 200mb... and won't load any more

i've tried deleting all transactions but there are still a lot of addresses made (200mb worth? the wallet size didn't change with deleting transactions...)

any idea on a solution? i think i will need to use pywallet so i'm asking here because it would be the best place to find people that know how to use it and what it can do...
The problem is that Namecoin download all the transactions when you launch it (it uses it to calculate the balance)
The better thing to do is to create a new address, send all your namecoins to this address, and import this address in a new wallet

i couldn't send without getting into it first...

but i found an old pre spam backup and deleted the spammed address, all fine now
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
so i've been spammed with dust on namecoin and my wallet is 200mb... and won't load any more

i've tried deleting all transactions but there are still a lot of addresses made (200mb worth? the wallet size didn't change with deleting transactions...)

any idea on a solution? i think i will need to use pywallet so i'm asking here because it would be the best place to find people that know how to use it and what it can do...
The problem is that Namecoin download all the transactions when you launch it (it uses it to calculate the balance)
The better thing to do is to create a new address, send all your namecoins to this address, and import this address in a new wallet
Activity: 504

mrx
Activity: 86
IDK why but I tried to import public key first and it said "bad private key" too. Re-check what are you trying to import and try this with addrtype = 138 (line 23). It worked for me. Unfortunately it's not possible to autodetect (wallet doesn't contain addresses, only public keys).
Code:
pywallet.py --importprivkey=MXTf98yWq9KEovooAGDSjEWkVbYF5eiFZWKvWL6VX6vhpLZj7m
Address: xt5y9PhK1wnTT4fnf4SLVDaTCyMgAuNPXR
Privkey: MXTf98yWq9KEovooAGDSjEWkVbYF5eiFZWKvWL6VX6vhpLZj7m
Imported successfully

It works, thanks.

However new pywallet can't use this method, still says bad key. Sometimes simple things works better than complex things.
well thanks, now it can dump the wallet without problem with SecretToASecret and reverse modified, but still can't process privkeys, insists saying "Bad private key".
IDK why but I tried to import public key first and it said "bad private key" too. Re-check what are you trying to import and try this with addrtype = 138 (line 23). It worked for me. Unfortunately it's not possible to autodetect (wallet doesn't contain addresses, only public keys).
Code:
pywallet.py --importprivkey=MXTf98yWq9KEovooAGDSjEWkVbYF5eiFZWKvWL6VX6vhpLZj7m
Address: xt5y9PhK1wnTT4fnf4SLVDaTCyMgAuNPXR
Privkey: MXTf98yWq9KEovooAGDSjEWkVbYF5eiFZWKvWL6VX6vhpLZj7m
Imported successfully
mrx
Activity: 86
Let me see, ixcoin - first commit aug 16 2011, showwallet - authored jul 12 2011.
Have no idea why they used addrtype 138 it's their problem now.
I believe 7-th bit has been reserved for "private addresses".
By the way, showwallet is already in the master branch (0.5.99).

Actual code (base58.h):
Code:
void SetSecret(const CSecret& vchSecret)
{
    SetData(fTestNet ? 239 : 128, &vchSecret[0], vchSecret.size());
}
There's no explicit 7-th bit anywhere though, so you may pick any byte you like.
With arithmetic overflow it would be chr((addrtype + 128) & 255) == 10.

well thanks, now it can dump the wallet without problem with SecretToASecret and reverse modified, but still can't process privkeys, insists saying "Bad private key".
Let me see, ixcoin - first commit aug 16 2011, showwallet - authored jul 12 2011.
Have no idea why they used addrtype 138 it's their problem now.
I believe 7-th bit has been reserved for "private addresses".
By the way, showwallet is already in the master branch (0.5.99).

Actual code (base58.h):
Code:
void SetSecret(const CSecret& vchSecret)
{
    SetData(fTestNet ? 239 : 128, &vchSecret[0], vchSecret.size());
}
There's no explicit 7-th bit anywhere though, so you may pick any byte you like.
With arithmetic overflow it would be chr((addrtype + 128) & 255) == 10.
Pages:
Jump to: