Pages:
Author

Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16) - page 16. (Read 41280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Oh this is fun (for you C++ Linux devs)!  I didn't know this existed:

Code:
touch foo.c ; g++ -dM -E foo.c; rm foo.c;

That prints a full list of all pre-processor symbols defined by default in your g++ compiler.  I noticed a bunch of things I didn't know were normally compiler defined.  Just some samples from my system (Linux Mint 15, 64-bit):

Code:
#define __BYTE_ORDER__ __ORDER_LITTLE_ENDIAN__
#define __INT_LEAST32_TYPE__ int
#define __INT32_TYPE__ int
#define __UINT64_TYPE__ long unsigned int
#define __SIZE_TYPE__ long unsigned int
#define __DBL_EPSILON__ double(2.22044604925031308085e-16L)
#define __DBL_MIN_EXP__ (-1021)
#define __FLT_MIN__ 1.17549435082228750797e-38F
#define __VERSION__ "4.7.3"
#define __SIZEOF_SIZE_T__ 8
#define __SIZEOF_INT__ 4
#define __SIZEOF_POINTER__ 8
#define __SIZE_TYPE__ long unsigned int
#define __x86_64__ 1
#define __LP64__ 1
#define __FLT_HAS_INFINITY__ 1

legendary
Core Armory Developer
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates recently.  I am still trying to get my brain back on track now that my in-laws have left Smiley  So I haven't had a chance to fix any of the startup bugs, but goatpig did make me a nice script for fixing the build issues.  It has been tested on a couple versions of Linux and seems to work great.  

Basically, it's a script that is run as part of the makefile, which attempts to locate the correct libpython dependencies and writes the correct values to a pypaths.txt file.  That file is then included in the Makefile.  I mention those details, because if it doesn't work, you'll probably have to manually set the paths in pypaths.txt, and then comment out the line in the Makefile (near the top) that executes the "whereispy.sh" script.  But hopefully no one will have to do that Smiley

If you are a linux user, especially one that had compile issues with 0.89.99.5, please try it again.  Checkout a fresh copy and try building.   The last build issue to be resolved on Linux is a redefinition error in log.h, where two functions appear to be the same when compiled on 32-bit systems.  I just have to find the right preprocessor for it and that should be resolved, too.  

So if you are on 64-bit Linux, the new Makefile should work, on all versions of Ubuntu, and I think goatpig tested Fedora, too.  If you are on 32-bit linux, you might have to comment out three "redefined" functions in log.h, but then it should compile fine.  
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
Version 0.89.99.5 has been running for 2 days now without crashing.

Gentleman, congratulations!
Activity: 389
Merit: 250
I have 4G of Ram. Is their an online version of Armory that will work with 4G? Or should I just wait?  

Works like a charm for me with 4GB.

MY computer goes into hibernation when downloading the Block Chain for the first time. Unless I am using the computer. Then has to start over each time. Computer is so slow when running it.

Adjust it in the power settings in your control panel.

That seems to have worked. I was going to try that but I didn't know where it was on windows 7. Thanks.

I wonder if a Chrome book will work for an offline wallet? Their only $200.  

We will eventually have something that works on the Android platform.  Until then, it's not going to work.  But it is a natural fit:  I was able to get the Craig 10" Chromebook, CLP281 for $40!  I haven't seen a deal that good since then, but it looks like you can still get one for $80-$100.  That might end up being cheaper than a HW wallet too (Trezor, BitSafe).  More flexibility, but not quite as convenient.

Btw, I'm not currently using it:  I impulse purchased it assuming I could wipe it and put linux on it, but it turned out to be a royal PITA to do that.  Instead, I'll just have to use its presence in my house as motivation to work on the Android app Smiley

This looks pretty close. It has windows 7 but it might not be 64 bit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-inch-Windows-7-Notebook-1-5GHz-LCD-4GB-ROM-Camera-WiFi-Pink-White-black-/331035876688?pt=Laptops_Nov05&var=&hash=item4d13469d50

I could probably just put an operating system on a thumb drive like others are doing instead. If it goes bad it won't matter. just reload onto another thumb drive  and use back ups.  
legendary
Core Armory Developer
I have 4G of Ram. Is their an online version of Armory that will work with 4G? Or should I just wait? 

MY computer goes into hibernation when downloading the Block Chain for the first time. Unless I am using the computer. Then has to start over each time. Computer is so slow when running it.

That seems to have worked. I was going to try that but I didn't know where it was on windows 7. Thanks.

We will eventually have something that works on the Android platform.  Until then, it's not going to work.  But it is a natural fit:  I was able to get the Craig 10" Chromebook, CLP281 for $40!  I haven't seen a deal that good since then, but it looks like you can still get one for $80-$100.  That might end up being cheaper than a HW wallet too (Trezor, BitSafe).  More flexibility, but not quite as convenient.

Btw, I'm not currently using it:  I impulse purchased it assuming I could wipe it and put linux on it, but it turned out to be a royal PITA to do that.  Instead, I'll just have to use its presence in my house as motivation to work on the Android app Smiley

Activity: 226
Merit: 100

I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.

I think the paper backup should have an option to have no identifying information other than the codes.  If someone finds the paper backup it clearly states it is a backup for a Bitcoin wallet.  If it is just a string of numbers of letters most people are not going to know what it is if they find it.

Should be configurable though. The backup slip which is going into the inheritance needs to be clear on beeing a cryptocurrency key backup.
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.
Activity: 302
Is it possible to install 0.89.99.5 on an offline machine to use as the offline component, as I would like to generate backups using the new m of n backup system, but don't want to do this on my online machine...

My offline (netbook - very low power) is running Ubuntu 10.04 currently, but this could be changed if needed...

Would it just be a case of installing all the dependencies and then compiling and running the app from the terminal as I have been doing on my VM (which I talked about earlier in the this thread), or would I be able to compile on my (fast) online machine and then transfer the binaries over to the offline machine and run like that...?

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am learning a lot of this as I go along...  Cheesy

So questions:
Will this run on ubuntu 10.04?
Can I precomplie on a different (more powerful) machine and transfer over binaries or .deb files or something to my crappy netbook
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
The Build database and scan doesn't make it to 100%.

At some point, it crashes and I gotta start again Sad

The stand alone version crashed a bit less

I'm running Windows 8 if that helps.

I don't know if this is the problem, but you can run it with "--rebuild" which will delete the database and start over from scratch (Bitcoin-Qt DB will still be there, so it will only take 1-2 hours to do a rebuild).  I'm curious if doing a full rebuild fixes it for you.  So far, I haven't seen any one need it yet, but if you have no other choice, you should try it.

That did the job! Program hasn't crashed on me either.  I gotta say, I'm pretty happy!

legendary
Core Armory Developer
There is no problem using the new/testing version to create transactions to be signed offline and then broadcast.  The nice thing about the offline system is that you can always keep an old, stable version on there, and it will notice if something is wrong.  For instance, if online Armory does not construct the addresses properly, the offline system will throw an error, or display a different address than you were expecting. 

The online-offline split provides an extra layer of protection against both malicious attacks, and bugs!   But so far I've used it for multiple online and offline transactions, and I have other people helping test with no reports of issues beyond the usability ones.  If you're really paranoid, just make sure you read the confirmation dialogs closely and verify the addresses match.  Those dialogs haven't changed at all, so they are reliable at reporting what is actually in the transaction you are about to execute.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
It's tough getting my brain back into the game after 2-3 weeks of vacation!

Off topic if I may, but I'm curious: how did you learn of the SR news? Smiley (assuming you did!)
I don't know if this is the problem, but you can run it with "--rebuild" which will delete the database and start over from scratch (Bitcoin-Qt DB will still be there, so it will only take 1-2 hours to do a rebuild).  I'm curious if doing a full rebuild fixes it for you.  So far, I haven't seen any one need it yet, but if you have no other choice, you should try it.

Seems to do the job for me. Tried 50 times before and always stuck at 1%. Now already at 3% after 3 min. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for identifying how much more work I have to do to get this version stable Undecided

I was going to write before that I wish that you had a nice honeymoon. Then I thought: I cant do that because I don't know if it was already over. Anyway. Hope you and your wife had a good wedding and enjoyed the time off.
legendary
Core Armory Developer

Seems to do the job for me. Tried 50 times before and always stuck at 1%. Now already at 3% after 3 min. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for identifying how much more work I have to do to get this version stable Undecided

legendary
Core Armory Developer
The Build database and scan doesn't make it to 100%.

At some point, it crashes and I gotta start again Sad

The stand alone version crashed a bit less

I'm running Windows 8 if that helps.

Is this version already safe to use for managing (creating & broadcasting) offline transactions?

Or should I wait until the final release!?

It's safe to use for executing offline transactions.  I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.
Pages:
Jump to: