Pages:
Author

Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16) - page 2. (Read 41280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
I forgot to make the RAM usage for that first build configurable (or at least dynamically adjustable based on available RAM).  But right now it should only use 1 GB to build the DB.  However it is likely to slow things down because it's doing very heavy disk accessing. But after that process is done, it should only use 200-300 MB, and start up very quickly. And not station the system much at all.

Please let us know if your experience differs significantly.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
I had been eagerly awaiting the new version, thinking that it wouldn't bog down my computer like the old one did, but it still seems to be doing that.  Granted, I only have 5 GB of RAM, which is why I essentially stopped using Armory for a while, but in theory that wasn't supposed to be an issue any more.

Is this just something that happens the first time it's loaded in a while, or is even a computer with 5 GB of RAM too slow to properly use Armory?  I waited until it finished building databases, but since I'm going to sleep soon and didn't want to wait another hour, I didn't wait to see how it'd behave after it finishes scanning transaction history.

The first time that new version starts (0.89+), it has to build its database. This is a heavy process. Once it is past that point, restarting Armory should take less than a minute + whatever time it'll take BitcoinQt to sync with the network (at this point the time it take to scan the new blocks is obsolete).
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
I had been eagerly awaiting the new version, thinking that it wouldn't bog down my computer like the old one did, but it still seems to be doing that.  Granted, I only have 5 GB of RAM, which is why I essentially stopped using Armory for a while, but in theory that wasn't supposed to be an issue any more.

Is this just something that happens the first time it's loaded in a while, or is even a computer with 5 GB of RAM too slow to properly use Armory?  I waited until it finished building databases, but since I'm going to sleep soon and didn't want to wait another hour, I didn't wait to see how it'd behave after it finishes scanning transaction history.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is this version out of the testing phase now?

Asking this because I see a beta version 0.90 available for download on the Armory website, and don't recall seeing it there a couple days ago.
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL
Yes, but the quoted statement from etotheipi suggested the possibility that the fragmented-backup format might yet change between testing version and release version.  That ambiguity hasn't been removed by a clear statement, although it seems unlikely that the format is going to change given how close we are to release of a new non-testing version.

I think he was making reference to the new paper backup format, exporting only the root key instead of root key + chaincode. M of N backups were not available to public at the time of that post, if memory serves right.

M of N backups were available to the public at that time.
legendary
Armory Developer
I created a new wallet on my offline computer and printed a 5 of 6 backup. I then deleted the wallet and restored from the printed backups. There where no problems and the addresses that I created were the same as before. Are you saying that I have missed something and that I should not rely on that paper wallet for my small-country-sized-savings?

Let me put it to you from our perspective. Recently we are getting a wave a new users who download Armory, shove their coins into it and then figure out they don't know how to use it, then spam us with emails like "help me please".

As with any new feature relating to wallets, please be sure to test it extensively, get familiar with the feature and acquire a solid understanding of how to use it before resorting to hold your funds with it.

While the testing phase on the M-of-N backups is satisfactory, even knowing that it'll be part of the next release, do not forget that the current builds are, as the name says, for testing purpose. I hope this clarifies the point.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Yes, but the quoted statement from etotheipi suggested the possibility that the fragmented-backup format might yet change between testing version and release version.  That ambiguity hasn't been removed by a clear statement, although it seems unlikely that the format is going to change given how close we are to release of a new non-testing version.

I think he was making reference to the new paper backup format, exporting only the root key instead of root key + chaincode. M of N backups were not available to public at the time of that post, if memory serves right.

Regardless, the current M of N backups are only available as part of test builds, you're better off waiting for a release build before shoving the GDP of Zimbabwe into one of those babies =P. You're welcome to abuse them with cheap change or testnet coins, however.

I created a new wallet on my offline computer and printed a 5 of 6 backup. I then deleted the wallet and restored from the printed backups. There where no problems and the addresses that I created were the same as before. Are you saying that I have missed something and that I should not rely on that paper wallet for my small-country-sized-savings?
legendary
Armory Developer

Regardless, the current M of N backups are only available as part of test builds, you're better off waiting for a release build before shoving the GDP of Zimbabwe into one of those babies =P. You're welcome to abuse them with cheap change or testnet coins, however.
Activity: 287
Merit: 250
I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

When will you decide this? I would love to use the m-of-n paper backup.

Have you decided this now?

M-of-N backups are available in the current testing release
legendary
Armory Developer
I'm just not 100% confident that the backups will be the same as the final version.  I know it creates a frustrating dynamic, because I need people to help test the backups, but I have to tell them not to rely on them yet.

M-of-N backups are available in the current testing release
legendary
Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003
9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

legendary
Core Armory Developer
Right-click on the transaction and "View on Blockchain.info".  If the transaction was broadcast properly, you'll see it on blockchain.info.  If not, go to "Help" -> "Clear all unconfirmed" and then send/broadcast your transaction again.
Activity: 175
I have an interesting problem.  I am running 0.89.99... on Debian v2.26.32

I created a send transaction and after 70 minutes the status for the transaction "Not in the blockchain yet".  The transaction never gets sent.

What's up?
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Just noticed that the version in git displays version 0.90 now. Is this the official release?

Semi-official.  I'm going to let this release ferment silently for a few days, and make sure I got everything right, before pushing out notifications.  I was planning to push them out right away, but I've had too many instances of stupid things that need to be fixed and I don't want to spam users any more than necessary.

Probably push notifications and official announcement on Friday or Monday.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Just noticed that the version in git displays version 0.90 now. Is this the official release?
Activity: 210
@goatpig, @cp1

I tried starting Armory using this command line, in settings the default dir was changed that way. Loading seemed somewhat faster in one instance, in others it was equally slow as starting Armory the regular way.

With a little patience I can get Armory to work however, so it isn't a pressing problem. I am worried though that other people might lose their wallet if they have moved the blockchain or install folder in a similar fashion, although I am not sure if a good solution is available.
cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
You mean the switches in the Armory settings themselves? I tried that, but it didn't work. See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3616125

I made the links following this instruction: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.748224

No, sending them as arguments to the windows shortcut:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Armory-testing\ArmoryQt.exe" --satoshi-datadir=I:\bitcoin --datadir=I:\armory
legendary
Armory Developer
Code:
parser.add_option("--settings",        dest="settingsPath",default='DEFAULT', type="str",          help="load Armory with a specific settings file")
parser.add_option("--datadir",         dest="datadir",     default='DEFAULT', type="str",          help="Change the directory that Armory calls home")
parser.add_option("--satoshi-datadir", dest="satoshiHome", default='DEFAULT', type='str',          help="The Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind home directory")
parser.add_option("--satoshi-port",    dest="satoshiPort", default='DEFAULT', type="str",          help="For Bitcoin-Qt instances operating on a non-standard port")
parser.add_option("--dbdir",           dest="leveldbDir",  default='DEFAULT', type='str',          help="Location to store blocks database (defaults to --datadir)")
parser.add_option("--rpcport",         dest="rpcport",     default='DEFAULT', type="str",          help="RPC port for running armoryd.py")
parser.add_option("--testnet",         dest="testnet",     default=False,     action="store_true", help="Use the testnet protocol")
parser.add_option("--offline",         dest="offline",     default=False,     action="store_true", help="Force Armory to run in offline mode")
parser.add_option("--nettimeout",      dest="nettimeout",  default=2,         type="int",          help="Timeout for detecting internet connection at startup")
parser.add_option("--interport",       dest="interport",   default=-1,        type="int",          help="Port for inter-process communication between Armory instances")
parser.add_option("--debug",           dest="doDebug",     default=False,     action="store_true", help="Increase amount of debugging output")
parser.add_option("--nologging",       dest="logDisable",  default=False,     action="store_true", help="Disable all logging")
parser.add_option("--netlog",          dest="netlog",      default=False,     action="store_true", help="Log networking messages sent and received by Armory")
parser.add_option("--logfile",         dest="logFile",     default='DEFAULT', type='str',          help="Specify a non-default location to send logging information")
parser.add_option("--mtdebug",         dest="mtdebug",     default=False,     action="store_true", help="Log multi-threaded call sequences")
parser.add_option("--skip-online-check", dest="forceOnline", default=False,   action="store_true", help="Go into online mode, even if internet connection isn't detected")
parser.add_option("--skip-version-check", dest="skipVerCheck", default=False, action="store_true", help="Do not contact bitcoinarmory.com to check for new versions")
parser.add_option("--keypool",         dest="keypool",     default=100, type="int",                help="Default number of addresses to lookahead in Armory wallets")
parser.add_option("--rebuild",         dest="rebuild",     default=False,     action="store_true", help="Rebuild blockchain database and rescan")
parser.add_option("--rescan",          dest="rescan",      default=False,     action="store_true", help="Rescan existing blockchain DB")
parser.add_option("--maxfiles",        dest="maxOpenFiles",default=0,         type="int",          help="Set maximum allowed open files for LevelDB databases")

List of Armory switches, as seen in the source. I am currently working on unicode support in Windows and the 'dir' arguments work just fine.
Activity: 210

You must not be doing the symlinks correctly.  It's probably best to avoid that, just use the satoshidir and datadir switches.

You mean the switches in the Armory settings themselves? I tried that, but it didn't work. See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.3616125

I made the links following this instruction: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.748224
Pages:
Jump to: