Pages:
Author

Topic: RAM-Reduction & Backup Center Testing (version 0.89.99.16) - page 7. (Read 41280 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Version 0.89.99.14-testing: Now with message signing and fragmented backup tester!

Ubuntu/Debian 32-bit
Ubuntu/Debian 64-bit
Mac/OSX (flaky with 10.9)
Windows (32- and 64-bit)
pvz
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Linux 32-bit Users
Works! Not any noticeable difference in time.
Also adding (read-only) wallets (rescan) works without any errors.
Noticed the message during startup stating max 75 connections.
Thank you Allan!
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.
Here's a new tentative build to try and get Armory running on Vista and XP.

Disclaimer: This my build (goatpig), not etotheipi's. This is only for testing purpose on older Windows platforms. A lot of optimizations have been taken out in an attempt to achieve a failsafe build, so this will be slow. Starting Armory in offline mode is enough to prove compatibility. Adventurous ones, you may wanna try and build the DB (at your own risk)

https://mega.co.nz/#!0chE2J4C!RoE8WUfmPPqU1HStumsfh3bKGtJPu-toxzRhcM7_zVY

Still not working on XP. Same error message in the log.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer

Disclaimer: This my build (goatpig), not etotheipi's. This is only for testing purpose on older Windows platforms. A lot of optimizations have been taken out in an attempt to achieve a failsafe build, so this will be slow. Starting Armory in offline mode is enough to prove compatibility. Adventurous ones, you may wanna try and build the DB (at your own risk)

That worked.

Vista or XP?
Activity: 24

That worked.
legendary
Armory Developer

Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
There also seems to be an issue with LevelDB and OS X.  Armory crashed, and could not restart, it claimed that the database was corrupted.  It could start in offline mode, and I could ask it to rebuild the database, but unfortunately Armory looks at the database before rebuilding it, and it then crashes.  Removing the database directory works, of course.

Code:
-INFO  - 1384414404: (BlockUtils.cpp:1570) SetBtcNetworkParams
-INFO  - 1384414404: (BlockUtils.cpp:3580) Executing: doInitialSyncOnLoad_Rebuild
-INFO  - 1384414404: (BlockUtils.cpp:3604) Number of registered addr: 998
-WARN  - 1384414404: (leveldb_wrapper.cpp:31) ***LevelDB Error: Corruption: no meta-nextfile entry in descriptor
-ERROR - 1384414404: (leveldb_wrapper.cpp:168) Failed to open database! DB: 1

I suspect it is a LevelDB problem rather than an Armory problem, for Bitcoin-Qt had reported database corruption a few hours earlier, and I have also seen Bitcoin-Qt report that on my previous MacBook.

EDIT:  Yes, there are leveldb corruption problems:
https://code.google.com/p/leveldb/issues/detail?id=197
legendary
Core Armory Developer

Linux 32-bit Users:

I just built a version that I believe works on 32-bit Linux without the "Too many open files" error.  Either build the latest "testing" branch, or download the debian package.   If you still get the error, you can manually set the number of files LevelDB is allowed to open using the --maxfiles=X argument when you run it.  I have set it to 75 for (Linux && 32bit), but I suppose it might actually need to be lower for some systems (though I doubt it).    My testing shows that it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of speed of database building or scanning.  I was tempted to just do it for all OS/arch.  Meh.  Please let me know if it works. 

Tomorrow i should 0.89.99.14 which includes CircusPeanut's integration message signing&verifiaction (created under a bounty by JackJack).  That may be one of the last testing versions, unless more people pop up with serious issues.  It appears to work pretty reliably on all OS except OSX, and there's nothing I can do about that right now (it appears to be a a problem with OSX 10.9 + PyQt, we might just have to wait it out). 

There was explicit notes on the lack of WinXP compatibility with the code I used, but nothing about Windows Vista. Please install .NET framework 4.5 and tell me if it works. I'll investigate that matter.

I tried that. It didn't work.
els
Activity: 41
Windows users!

Thanks again to goatpig.  He made us a custom port of one of the leveldb DB dependencies and it appears it may have fixed the loading issues.
Looks good so far, it was great to see the splash screen come up. It's starting at 98% sync with the network now, I'll update my post if I run into any problems or have any additional comments. Thanks goatpig and Alan!

same for me on Win 7 Home Premium.  looking good!  will report when sync'd up.

online, with balances, quick check looks great!
els
Activity: 41
Windows users!

Thanks again to goatpig.  He made us a custom port of one of the leveldb DB dependencies and it appears it may have fixed the loading issues.
Looks good so far, it was great to see the splash screen come up. It's starting at 98% sync with the network now, I'll update my post if I run into any problems or have any additional comments. Thanks goatpig and Alan!

same for me on Win 7 Home Premium.  looking good!  will report when sync'd up.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
By the way, you might have to use "Help"->"Rebuild and Rescan Databases".  Some of the database behavior changed ever so slightly since 0.89.99.3.  It may not be necessary, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cleared up any weird/buggy behavior in the app.
I did have a built database in my app data I was keeping around for when Armory was fixed. It looks like it decided to rebuild it automatically. The reason I know this aside from the progress bar starting at 0% is because my virtual disk was starting to get full and when I was checking to see if I was running out of space and a lot of space was suddenly available.

Here are some stats in case you are interested. First run took 33 mins to sync to the network from 98% and the database took over an hour to rebuild the database (I wasn't able to finish timing it accurately). The second run took a little over 2 minutes to sync the 1 incoming block and scan the DB. I have 4 AMD cores at 4GHz allocated to the VM. I didn't see the memory usage go over 300 MB while I was watching it.

I feel as though the Bitcoin sync was primarily network bound, but the database build & scan seemed like it might have been IO bound and benefited from residing in memory a bit more. At least the 4 cores were never running full tilt perhaps varying between 35%-65% across all 4. Then again, I'm not sure I trust task manager, it seems threads jumping across cores cause it to average out the utilization on the graphs.

Looks like a good build for Win7 users, thanks again!
legendary
Armory Developer
Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to work on Vista.   The same effort required to get it working on XP would be required by Vista (goat: correct me if that's wrong).

There was explicit notes on the lack of WinXP compatibility with the code I used, but nothing about Windows Vista. Please install .NET framework 4.5 and tell me if it works. I'll investigate that matter.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Windows users!

By the way, you might have to use "Help"->"Rebuild and Rescan Databases".  Some of the database behavior changed ever so slightly since 0.89.99.3.  It may not be necessary, but I wouldn't be surprised if it cleared up any weird/buggy behavior in the app.

I'm on Windows Vista 32-bit. I'm still getting this error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 22, in
  File "psutil\__init__.pyc", line 85, in
  File "psutil\_psmswindows.pyc", line 15, in
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 12, in
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is going to work on Vista.   The same effort required to get it working on XP would be required by Vista (goat: correct me if that's wrong).
Windows users!

els & Rogue Star:  please try again!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1139081/ArmoryTestingReleases/ArmorySetup-0.89.99.12-beta_win32.exe

P.S. - This version also includes the fragmented backup tester.  Try it out!

I'm on Windows Vista 32-bit. I'm still getting this error:

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ArmoryQt.py", line 22, in
  File "psutil\__init__.pyc", line 85, in
  File "psutil\_psmswindows.pyc", line 15, in
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 12, in
  File "_psutil_mswindows.pyc", line 10, in __load
ImportError: DLL load failed: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Windows users!

legendary
Core Armory Developer
Windows users!

els & Rogue Star:  please try again!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1139081/ArmoryTestingReleases/ArmorySetup-0.89.99.12-beta_win32.exe

P.S. - This version also includes the fragmented backup tester.  Try it out!
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Due to popular demand and the fact that I needed more tests for the fragmented backups, anyway:

I refactored some of our unit-test code so that it could be used directly into the fragmented backup tester. Should have this implemented along with message sign&verify very soon!
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
Never heard of that coin, can't really help you there =O
Yeah, it's new. But it's being backed by some rich bald dude who now lives in my country. He's running a business around it, but he's letting the coin grow on it's own and won't mine it. It's scrypt.
Pages:
Jump to: