Pages:
Author

Topic: Ransomware, the best thing that has happened to Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 2963 times)

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000
No way this is good for bitcoin long term.. Sure, some people buying a few bitcoin bumps price, but the effect is so minor to the general negative publicity.

I'd rather see no ransomware floating around.

Sure that is good. Like Silk Road. And like the actual other Silk Roads which are active and not yet closed by the Authorities. I wanted to see you if your son, or daughter, or you wife, or your brother or sister are users of such kind of sites, buy and use the pure drugs sell by those only with bitcoin (and this make good to bitcoin), or are victims of your ransomware and must pay the amount of money equal the value of your home. I want to see you if you will be victim of ransomware and the request made to you put you in a debt which must make you to work all the life to pay the "tax" you will be tighten to pay to the owners of ransmoware. And after all to show you my quoted (your) post in order that you finally understand how idiot you are. Bah, even this word is very few for you...
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
i actually got the cryptowall virus couple months ago. it locked up all my documents like docx,txt,png,jpeg,pdf and all those file formats. it doesnt really affect your windows though, only encrypts your information files. i didnt have many important files so i decided not to pay the $500 ransom and just reinstalled windows Sad.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283
I'm sorry but saying that Ransomware is the best thing that ever happened to Bitcoin is just inaccurate.
Ransomware is one of the more scummy ways to scam people and for that to be associated with Bitcoin can never be a good thing.
Activity: 345
Merit: 250

The OP's comments are a tad confusing still. He/she implies that the rise of bitcoin price and adoption is due to ransomware existing...which obviously wouldn't be true.

Are you so sure about that? According to the FBI 1% of ransomware victims pay it. So, if there are 10 million victims, then there would be 100,000 new bitcoin users. That is quite a lot of buying activity. According to the FBI they have received ransomware complaints totaling $18 million dollars. One estimate of how much the hackers are making is as much as $300 million. That is $300 million in bitcoin purchases.
Around 1.3 percent based on this. Its actually more like 3 million. It doesn't feel right to make people use Bitcoin for ransom. It doesn't make sense at all. You are literally only attracting people to buy Bitcoin and use it once, never again and wouldn't trust that it's a good thing to use it. IMO, it's much better to attract long term users.

Ransomware doesn't only use Bitcoin for ransom payments, it uses other electronic money systems. PCworld says the victims of the TeslaCrypt virus paid in PayPal My Cash cards, and Bitcoins. Other viruses only accepted Money Pak and PayPal My Cash. Ransomware will use other electronic payment systems besides Bitcoin and taint their reputations too.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2923532/in-desperation-many-ransomware-victims-plead-with-attackers.html

The FireEye researchers discovered and tracked 1,231 Bitcoin addresses used by the TeslaCrypt gang between February and April. TeslaCrypt generates a unique Bitcoin address where the ransom must be paid for every infection, meaning that each of the 1,231 addresses represents one victim.

After analyzing transactions involving those addresses, the FireEye researchers believe that 163 victims, or 13 percent, paid the ransom in Bitcoin. Another 20 victims paid with PayPal My Cash cards.
Activity: 994

The OP's comments are a tad confusing still. He/she implies that the rise of bitcoin price and adoption is due to ransomware existing...which obviously wouldn't be true.

Are you so sure about that? According to the FBI 1% of ransomware victims pay it. So, if there are 10 million victims, then there would be 100,000 new bitcoin users. That is quite a lot of buying activity. According to the FBI they have received ransomware complaints totaling $18 million dollars. One estimate of how much the hackers are making is as much as $300 million. That is $300 million in bitcoin purchases.

Well that's really bad for these people, they had no other choices.
But kaspersky is offering their free service to scan and decrypt these files.
About the price maybe it can be increased but after these people buy bitcoin they will never get back to use bitcoin.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
Here we go, Bitcoin to stratospheric prices and general public adoption due to the need to get their data back.

What we need now is an app that lets people automatically pay their ransomware taxes.

Not really.
For people to get into Bitcoin and regularly use it, they should be able to have a good and smooth experience, not the opposite.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange

Around 1.3 percent based on this. Its actually more like 3 million. It doesn't feel right to make people use Bitcoin for ransom. It doesn't make sense at all. You are literally only attracting people to buy Bitcoin and use it once, never again and wouldn't trust that it's a good thing to use it. IMO, it's much better to attract long term users.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
No way this is good for bitcoin long term.. Sure, some people buying a few bitcoin bumps price, but the effect is so minor to the general negative publicity.

I'd rather see no ransomware floating around.
Activity: 338
Merit: 253

In my opinion ramsonware is very bad for bitcoin, it could increse price of bitcoin if lot of people want to restore its documents, but these users will not see bitcoin as a good payment system. We need good news related with bitcoins, not bad publicity like hackers stoling your money.

Another bad thing for these people is that if they want to buy bitcoins.
If they start/want to buy bitcoin they will look for an exchange then they are required to submit government documents.
And i think that this makes people more afraid to purchase bitcoin, but yeah the price normally should increase but not to much.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
In my opinion ramsonware is very bad for bitcoin, it could increse price of bitcoin if lot of people want to restore its documents, but these users will not see bitcoin as a good payment system. We need good news related with bitcoins, not bad publicity like hackers stoling your money.
Ransomware will make people passionately hate bitcoin and forever associate it with crime. OP needs to explain themselves.

By this bitcoin is becoming popular and famous in the black way. [not good]
Since its advertised by thiefs, hackers this is bad for bitcoin.
The hacker couldn't accept paypal because we know the chargebacks and what information needs paypal.
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 4418
Crypto Swap Exchange
-snip-
I think this virus is detectable by most of the antivirus, so keep your antivirus open folks Wink
There are many variants of this malware and anti viruses are not so accurate. Based on this, the behavior is no different from legit programs till it encrypts the files. Many viruses do not get detected by antiviruses as there are many crypters out in the market which uses a stub and merge it with the virus for it to deter antivirus detections.
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
Ransomware will make people passionately hate bitcoin and forever associate it with crime. OP needs to explain themselves.

Exactly this. If we would start developing applications like this, this would give regulators all the rights to ban us completely.

This is a very stupid idea! Let people use Bitcoin as they wish but don't encourage them in this way or another for what and how to use it.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1016

I guess OP is trolling right?
Because I can not believe he is really serious that ransomware can be anything good for Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1036
Well i found that Kaspersky is offering free service about this case
It is a website for this and who is victim please visit it as it is RANSOMWARE DECRYPTOR
The ransomware authors are arrested and all existing keys have been added to our database.

https://noransom.kaspersky.com/

October 28 update: ALL Coinvault and Bitcryptor keys (14k+) added to the database
April 29 update: 13 decryption keys added to the database
April 17 update: 711 decryption keys added to the database
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1014
In Satoshi I Trust
So what is ransomware?

(I shouldn't have to google it since you brought it up and want to discuss it.)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin
Affiliating bitcoin with such things is the last thing bitcoin needs right now. When already a lot of people know about it and are investing, why would we want to be associated
with any mallware ?! .  The only people that ransomware softwares are attracting are criminals, doubt any victim of it would want to have anything to do with it.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
Who in their right mind wants to advocate Ransomware as a tool to increase adoption? Do you really think people will start using Bitcoin, if they had to go through all that stress to

get their information hijacked and then to be forced to pay for their own data to be encrypted? I would hate Bitcoin if that happened to me. How many people has lost their data

and valuable pictures of their family and friends because of this. I make daily backups of my value data on DVD's and CD's because of this nonsense... because any other re-writable

media is useless, because it can be infected too. Please do not advocate or support this nonsense.... We do not need this kind of thing to increase adoption.  Angry  ... It's like holding

a gun to people's head and forcing them to adopt Bitcoin. Ridiculous concept.  Shocked
Pages:
Jump to: