Pages:
Author

Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 Node - page 2. (Read 4359 times)

Activity: 318
Merit: 260
January 29, 2016, 01:51:57 PM
60GB doesn't actually mean anything. Storage is easy.. Pagefile and RAM and bandwidth and CPU clock&threads matter for this.. A PI2 with 1GB DDR3 and USB or 802.11n+ at tens of megabytes a second will suffice. The Banana PI M3 or a Braswell ITX with SATA or even PCIe will without question handle it even in the future.

I'm going to go with PI2 at $35 and make a script to turn it into a hardware wallet isolated from host machines instead of paying hundreds for the rushed-development hardware wallet offerings out there now..
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
January 29, 2016, 11:51:41 AM
Is there any reason one could not run a full bitcoin node on a Raspberry Pi 2? I see these are very cheap now, just $37. Add a 32GB SD card and you have a fully functioning node right?

Blockchain is currently over 60gb.....
.. and constantly growing.

If you really wanted to run a node on something like a Raspberry Pi / Odroid / Banani Pi you could look at hooking up an external HDD to the unit to hold the blockchain, or running the blockchain off of a NAS (if you have the spare resources to do so).

I'm also surprised that the Bitseed hasn't been mentioned yet either. It's pretty expensive compared to buying your own small board computer and external HDD, but it looks like a decent plug n' play solution for a bitcoin node.

This is actually possible to run Bitcoin Core on a RPi 2 and to store the blockchain on a NAS ? This could (or maybe not, I d'ont know) be a good idea.
legendary
Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000
January 29, 2016, 11:31:59 AM

The board that costs the same as a Braswell ITX but has ARM power-management and slower bus? Yeah.. It has SATA though.

Thanks for mentioning that. As you have probably gathered, I'm still finding my way around Bitcoin. I'm running a full node on an HP core i5 notebook, which seems to work really well, but it only gives me 4-5 hours between charges. One of my project is to find a mini-system that will work off 12 volts, be fanless ( in the UK ), and include WiFi so that it can be used to run a full node ( pruned with 0.12). The Banana pi M3 looked quite promising, although the SATA and USB didn't look to be the best. Some of the Braswell boards look as if they might indeed be a better choice. Improved SATA and USB 3.0 are an advantage. I had a quick look at some of the boards and couldn't find any WiFi support, but that may not be too much of a disadvantage - a directional receiver connected via USB may be better than a low power on-board solution ( for me anyway).

Apologies to the OP, as I seem to have hijacked his thread. I'll do a bit more reading, and start a new one in a day or so.

you can buy an usb wifi dongle for less than 10$ USD.
http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454081512&sr=1-4&keywords=wifi+usb
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
January 29, 2016, 01:27:35 AM

The board that costs the same as a Braswell ITX but has ARM power-management and slower bus? Yeah.. It has SATA though.

Thanks for mentioning that. As you have probably gathered, I'm still finding my way around Bitcoin. I'm running a full node on an HP core i5 notebook, which seems to work really well, but it only gives me 4-5 hours between charges. One of my project is to find a mini-system that will work off 12 volts, be fanless ( in the UK ), and include WiFi so that it can be used to run a full node ( pruned with 0.12). The Banana pi M3 looked quite promising, although the SATA and USB didn't look to be the best. Some of the Braswell boards look as if they might indeed be a better choice. Improved SATA and USB 3.0 are an advantage. I had a quick look at some of the boards and couldn't find any WiFi support, but that may not be too much of a disadvantage - a directional receiver connected via USB may be better than a low power on-board solution ( for me anyway).

Apologies to the OP, as I seem to have hijacked his thread. I'll do a bit more reading, and start a new one in a day or so.
Activity: 373
Merit: 252
January 28, 2016, 10:26:43 PM
Is there any reason one could not run a full bitcoin node on a Raspberry Pi 2? I see these are very cheap now, just $37. Add a 32GB SD card and you have a fully functioning node right?

.. and constantly growing.

If you really wanted to run a node on something like a Raspberry Pi / Odroid / Banani Pi you could look at hooking up an external HDD to the unit to hold the blockchain, or running the blockchain off of a NAS (if you have the spare resources to do so).

I'm also surprised that the Bitseed hasn't been mentioned yet either. It's pretty expensive compared to buying your own small board computer and external HDD, but it looks like a decent plug n' play solution for a bitcoin node.
Activity: 1092
Merit: 520
January 28, 2016, 08:23:01 PM

January 28, 2016, 08:20:56 PM
Do you guys not like the banana pi? I has wifi, more memory, and an octa-core processor. It's a bit more expensive, but all these boards are pretty cheap in reality.

Are you hi? It's never had or been announced a octa-core processor, it's actually dual-core which is two cores less. Same RAM, less IO, higher price..

hxxp://www.bananapi.org/p/product.html

They are obviously talking about the m3
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
January 28, 2016, 02:14:52 PM
Do you guys not like the banana pi? I has wifi, more memory, and an octa-core processor. It's a bit more expensive, but all these boards are pretty cheap in reality.

Are you hi? It's never had or been announced a octa-core processor, it's actually dual-core which is two cores less. Same RAM, less IO, higher price..

They are obviously talking about the m3
January 28, 2016, 01:26:17 PM

legendary
January 28, 2016, 03:59:31 AM
January 28, 2016, 12:25:07 AM
Hey Sir, the answer to your question is no.

The recommended setup would be a raspberry pi 2 + 2 usbs that hold /tmp /var and other partitions that get written a lot and then use an external HDD to hold the blockchain and an extra micro-sd for the /home and the root /, this way you'll preserve the micro-sd life and will be able to hold a node for more than 4-7 years.

Or again use an inline SATA converter at 14MBps-36MBps which takes minutes to setup.. It'd probably still faster than the SD which, by the way isn't really standardized and slow but even if it was, by about 15MBps. Even 802.11n 5Ghz is probably faster than SD using a WIFI enclosure.

If anyone is wondering, the fastest thing you can possibly-realistically do is class 10 CF on GPIO at around 100MBps. If people all the sudden care about wear-leveling(OMG next gen games on an SSD) it's SATA converter or fail.

Public license ARM chips have no PCIe or other fast bus and that's probably years off.
legendary
Activity: 1143
Merit: 1000
January 28, 2016, 12:00:21 AM
Hey Sir, the answer to your question is no.

The recommended setup would be a raspberry pi 2 + 2 usbs that hold /tmp /var and other partitions that get written a lot and then use an external HDD to hold the blockchain and an extra micro-sd for the /home and the root /, this way you'll preserve the micro-sd life and will be able to hold a node for more than 4-7 years.
January 27, 2016, 05:12:47 PM
I'm actually thinking of getting a PI2 at $35 and hacking it's hacked USB implementation to make a secure wallet where there is transparent signing of transactions and key storage. A lot cheaper than any of the hardware wallets. I'll repo the code for it. If this isn't already done..

Another thing that sounds cool is a CGI solution to use the PI2 as a hack-proof solution for a hosted website where full root on the webserver doesn't compromise bitcoin wallets.
legendary
Activity: 2459
Merit: 1057
Don't use bitcoin.de if you care about privacy!
January 27, 2016, 04:01:27 PM
I have written an instruction to run bitcoin Core with Banana Pi. It is in german but you can still copy paste the instructions to install Core (See Post 3).
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/banana-node-unterstutze-das-netzwerk-973628

The Bananian Os uses only around 50MB of Ram so that there is 950MB for Bitcoin Core.
https://www.bananian.org/

Rokos seems like a good option for the RPI 2.

If you like to run something more future proof Intel Nuc or MinnowBoard Turbot (both x86) is another option.
http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_Turbot
legendary
January 27, 2016, 03:27:50 PM
banana pi has a sata port. but I gather it runs it though the usb chip. so it isn't very fast
January 27, 2016, 12:30:41 PM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.

I haven't run a full node in years so wasn't sure about the storage requirement. A USB 2.0 HDD would work as others have pointed out. Probably in the future we will have a faster Raspberry Pi with SATA ports and USB 3.0 for sure.

None of the OSH friendly ARM chips, like the TI cortex a7, have any fast buses. Some ARM chips have PCIe 2.0 but are closed license.

I don't think you can do high frequency over I2C or SPI without converting it down either. So basically something like class 10 CF is as fast as it gets. USB 2.0 is slower.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006
January 27, 2016, 11:55:18 AM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.

I haven't run a full node in years so wasn't sure about the storage requirement. A USB 2.0 HDD would work as others have pointed out. Probably in the future we will have a faster Raspberry Pi with SATA ports and USB 3.0 for sure.
January 27, 2016, 11:40:05 AM
Or you could just do what I said in my post and save a lot of time and money. PI-2 has no fast-bus so it's network storage or some USB converter solution. Not sure why you'd use SD the write-cycles would be gone in months..
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Young but I'm not that bold
January 27, 2016, 09:16:02 AM
there is an OS is created for raspberry pi to run a bitcoin core. It called Rokos, I did not try it but you can get more info from these links:

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/04/the-rokos-core-os-turns-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-bitcoin-node/
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/official-rokos-core-bitcoin-full-node-raspberry-pi-p64-iot-feedbackdiscussion-1312616
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
January 27, 2016, 09:06:49 AM
Is cpu power a consideration when running a node (as long as it's reasonable)? The storage requirement could be reduced by running a pruned node with 0.12. A 128GB usb stick with the blockchain stored on it could be used to initialise the node. I'm thinking of doing this instead of struggling with my Chromebook.
CPU(IIRC) and ram usage gets higher with more peers and initial synchronization. Pruned nodes in 0.12 would only relay new blocks to compatible peers[1]. It probably won't help with the synchronization fully, just the relaying of new blocks and transactions.

What frightens me in the "old low profile computer" is that, since is old, he can "die", especially his HDD. I know that I might change it, but this way I prefer buy a new computer, since the price difference will be really low, and this lead to a big bill, so I want to build it on a (few) Raspberry Pi 2(s), so the cycle restart Undecided...
Quite true. As I said, it probably isn't necessary for more resources to run Bitcoin Core unless you need lots of connections. You can always build your own computer with parts that require low energy if you need it. It isn't easy to daisy chain raspberry pis, at least to me.

[1] https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/0.12/doc/release-notes.md
Pages:
Jump to: