Pages:
Author

Topic: Raspberry Pi 2 Node - page 3. (Read 4359 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
January 27, 2016, 08:42:17 AM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.

That's why I thought about using an HDD. How does it need to be plugged, on th GPIO ports ?
You can buy an adapter for a HDD and plug the USB onto raspberry pi. There's even a guide here but you would need a powered USB hub. IIRC, Banana Pi Pro have a Sata port.

This would be a good idea for a node in the past but not so much now, mainly due to the blockchain size and it's efficiency. The mempool was much slower in the past with lower transaction volume and hence it could run with lower ram and more connections. With the increased mempool, you would need to tweak the client slightly by using several optimizations. As shorena said, consider verifying the entire blockchain on your own computer before moving it to the raspberry pi. By copying the entire directory, you won't have to synchronize and verify from the beginning.
It seems that Microsoft are selling with an embedded Windows 10
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/distribution-world/microsoft-starts-selling-raspberry-pi-2016-01/

not that I would suggest using Windows 10. Smiley
Windows is definitely not the recommended one with their memory footprint.

Than you for your advice. So you would recommend to use a Linux computer instead of a Raspberry Pi 2. And what about a cluster of RPi 2 ? This way the RAM and the CPU capacities could be increased in keeping the bill low.
Raspbian runs on Linux so I was recommending to use Linux instead on Windows on raspberry pi 2.

I've never heard of someone daisy chaining raspberry pis to run a Bitcoin node. Daisy chaining[1] is sure possible but it isn't for an average users. If you're thinking about daisy chaining raspberry pis, it makes more sense to buy an old low profile computer to run the node on.

[1] http://www.zdnet.com/article/build-your-own-supercomputer-out-of-raspberry-pi-boards/

What frightens me in the "old low profile computer" is that, since is old, he can "die", especially his HDD. I know that I might change it, but this way I prefer buy a new computer, since the price difference will be really low, and this lead to a big bill, so I want to build it on a (few) Raspberry Pi 2(s), so the cycle restart Undecided...
legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 2444
https://JetCash.com
January 27, 2016, 08:33:05 AM
Is cpu power a consideration when running a node (as long as it's reasonable)? The storage requirement could be reduced by running a pruned node with 0.12. A 128GB usb stick with the blockchain stored on it could be used to initialise the node. I'm thinking of doing this instead of struggling with my Chromebook.
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
January 27, 2016, 08:09:14 AM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.

That's why I thought about using an HDD. How does it need to be plugged, on th GPIO ports ?
You can buy an adapter for a HDD and plug the USB onto raspberry pi. There's even a guide here but you would need a powered USB hub. IIRC, Banana Pi Pro have a Sata port.

This would be a good idea for a node in the past but not so much now, mainly due to the blockchain size and it's efficiency. The mempool was much slower in the past with lower transaction volume and hence it could run with lower ram and more connections. With the increased mempool, you would need to tweak the client slightly by using several optimizations. As shorena said, consider verifying the entire blockchain on your own computer before moving it to the raspberry pi. By copying the entire directory, you won't have to synchronize and verify from the beginning.
http://www.electronicsweekly.com/blogs/distribution-world/microsoft-starts-selling-raspberry-pi-2016-01/

Than you for your advice. So you would recommend to use a Linux computer instead of a Raspberry Pi 2. And what about a cluster of RPi 2 ? This way the RAM and the CPU capacities could be increased in keeping the bill low.
Raspbian runs on Linux so I was recommending to use Linux instead on Windows on raspberry pi 2.

I've never heard of someone daisy chaining raspberry pis to run a Bitcoin node. Daisy chaining[1] is sure possible but it isn't for an average users. If you're thinking about daisy chaining raspberry pis, it makes more sense to buy an old low profile computer to run the node on.

[1] http://www.zdnet.com/article/build-your-own-supercomputer-out-of-raspberry-pi-boards/
legendary
January 27, 2016, 08:05:18 AM
It's a pity that the USB ports are only usb2. Maybe the next version will be usb 3 and allow ssd disks to be connected.
legendary
January 27, 2016, 07:58:27 AM

legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
January 27, 2016, 07:23:02 AM

legendary
January 27, 2016, 07:06:25 AM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.

staff
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8419
January 27, 2016, 06:55:10 AM
You would need a 128GB SD card now. The performance will be very poor, it's just on the margin of workable.  SD cards usually don't have good write endurance either.
legendary
January 27, 2016, 05:54:43 AM
I have tempted by running a full node on my Rapsberry Pi 2 for a while. If someday I have something big enough to store the blockchain (64 GB (128 ?) SD card, HDD...) and that I know how to use, I'll do it. I already have the HDD, now I still need to learn how to plug in it Roll Eyes...
legendary
January 27, 2016, 05:43:34 AM

Activity: 318
Merit: 260
January 27, 2016, 01:34:04 AM
Without GPIO hacking ATA or other: USB->SATA converter with ARM drivers integrated. Between pagefile and 3xMBps bus speed of USB 2.0 you'll be annoyed.

You can also put a storage server on your NAT. Still pagefile and like 60% CPU utilization though..
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
January 27, 2016, 01:19:57 AM
Is there any reason one could not run a full bitcoin node on a Raspberry Pi 2? I see these are very cheap now, just $37. Add a 32GB SD card and you have a fully functioning node right?

32GB is not enough, but yes people run full nodes on a raspi. It takes ages to download and verify, mainly due to the slow CPU. You might want to get the blockchain with a different machine and copy it.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1006
January 27, 2016, 01:04:06 AM
Is there any reason one could not run a full bitcoin node on a Raspberry Pi 2? I see these are very cheap now, just $37. Add a 32GB SD card and you have a fully functioning node right?
Pages:
Jump to: