Pages:
Author

Topic: Realistically does bitcoin have any competition ? - page 2. (Read 6314 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
Realistically does bitcoin have any competition ?
Nope.
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
I understand there are 600 other coins and that banks might be involved in trying to put in place there own mechanisms based on the blockchain but now that bitcoin has become as big as it has is there even a 10% chance that anything could replace bitcoin in the next few years.

Bitcoin is nowhere yet. Maybe have 10% chances to actually replace something . Forget about something to replace Bitcoin.

Bitcoin doesn't need to replace anything, well except Western Union. There are huge gaps in the today's financial markets that Bitcoin can easily fill and even improve some current solutions.

This being said, Bitcoin still has to improve a lot and earn a lot of trust in order to get a chance of doing so. The road is still long ahead, this is where I agree with you!
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
I understand there are 600 other coins and that banks might be involved in trying to put in place there own mechanisms based on the blockchain but now that bitcoin has become as big as it has is there even a 10% chance that anything could replace bitcoin in the next few years.

Bitcoin is nowhere yet. Maybe have 10% chances to actually replace something . Forget about something to replace Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1184
Merit: 1013
Couple that with the fact there's been no major improvements to the protocol since 2009 or 2010

Do we really need any major changes?
Exactly, changes are taking place whenever they are needed and we dont do major protocol changes just for fun.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
Has anyone seen this GNU Taler thing? They say make pretty big claims taler.net

Never heard of it before now.

Sounds like yet another tokenised fiat payment system with some bells and whistles like every other supposed 'Bitcoin killer'. As ever it's not the same thing at all. Maybe a Ripple killer but I've no idea how Ripple works so wouldn't know.

Activity: 187
Merit: 100
Has anyone seen this GNU Taler thing? They say make pretty big claims taler.net
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
It has lots of competition, obviously, but within the digital world itself? I would say very little. It has dominated this space.

Mention me a single coin that is competition to Bitcoin? Not even the XT fork was any competition. I don't see a single reason to use anything but Bitcoin (and solving the discrepancies inside Bitcoin Core through BIPs). Maybe Ethereum, maybe, could have a solid reason to exist in the future, and it wouldn't still be competition, ETH and BTC would compliment each other.
Activity: 196
Couple that with the fact there's been no major improvements to the protocol since 2009 or 2010

Do we really need any major changes?
Activity: 770
Merit: 284
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
Cash!   Smiley

Lol indeed. I miss the feeling to have money in my pocket. That's way I print paper wallets to got that feeling.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
It has lots of competition, obviously, but within the digital world itself? I would say very little. It has dominated this space.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030
Twitter @realmicroguy
The powers that be seem to be finding great success is regulating Bitcoin to the fringes and making it impractical for use as a mainstream currency. Couple that with the fact there's been no major improvements to the protocol since 2009 or 2010, and you have a recipe for disaster.

If core can't agree on a single 1-line code edit, how can bitcoin possibly compete in this world of rapid technological change.
Activity: 546
Merit: 501

I think it's much higher than a 10% chance.  Yes, Bitcoin is a propelling proposition, given the limited supply and the amount of people willing to pay to have a share of the it, but you might be underestimating what the central banks and other centralized powers will do to take control as far as a global currency goes.  If fiat currencies become unpopular, and people resort to gold and bitcoin, who knows what governments will do to control inflation.
Activity: 210

As much as I know the original rival of the btc is the paper money or the cash and thats it I dont think it is a big deal really.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
I liked this blog post http://tpbit.blogspot.ca/2015/09/the-dawn-of-great-crypto-extinction-and.html ... Copy-coins themselves aren't much competition although some of them do have community (Dogecoin) and good dev teams / adoption (Litecoin). Crypto2.0 coins do offer more competition like Ethereum and Ripple which go beyond the original code base.

Isn't Ripple supposed to be what Monero was based off of? If I'm not mistaken I remember reading that Ripple was supposed to be the first of the "cryptonote" coins to come out.  I haven't even done much research on the alts because I'm lazy and want to stick to talking about something that I know a little more about like bitcoin in general.

Nop.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
I liked this blog post http://tpbit.blogspot.ca/2015/09/the-dawn-of-great-crypto-extinction-and.html ... Copy-coins themselves aren't much competition although some of them do have community (Dogecoin) and good dev teams / adoption (Litecoin). Crypto2.0 coins do offer more competition like Ethereum and Ripple which go beyond the original code base.

Isn't Ripple supposed to be what Monero was based off of? If I'm not mistaken I remember reading that Ripple was supposed to be the first of the "cryptonote" coins to come out.  I haven't even done much research on the alts because I'm lazy and want to stick to talking about something that I know a little more about like bitcoin in general.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Any platform that is a clone of Bitcoin with only a few small tweaks, can't ever really take a serious market share away from Bitcoin.  

completely disagree. btc got alot right, why change the tried and tested, so its a good place to start.

many seem to think here original code written after btc automatically means better then btc...yet to see any that's an improvement on btc.
Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
Activity: 910
Activity: 854
Merit: 658
rgbkey.github.io/pgp.txt
I do not think that other altcoin have any chance to remove bitcoin and become in its place because these coins are only a copy from the original thing with is bitcoin
And I think banks can not control bitcoin because it is decentralized
Any platform that is a clone of Bitcoin with only a few small tweaks, can't ever really take a serious market share away from Bitcoin. 
I agree, the direct clones of bitcoin aren't going to make any waves, but the innovative platforms might make a difference.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1058
If you talk about future if any government issues their own crypto,bitcoin will face some serious competition but that is not possible to happen in this decade so I dont see any competition for btc for next 10-15 years

Creating own cryptocurrency by any bank or Government is not a problem for bitcoin. The real competitor for bitcoin would be current fiats. Bitcoin needs to out perform them to be widely accepted and to be proffered one. When every service available for bitcoin, it means bitcoin defeated all it's competitors.
Pages:
Jump to: