Pages:
Author

Topic: Recognizing Gambling Disorders, Symptoms of Severe Gambling Addiction - page 7. (Read 897 times)

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1176

Source : https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gambling-disorder/what-is-gambling-disorder

In the last few hours I personally do self-introspection and analyze these symptoms may be in myself, family or friends. and as a result there are some of my friends who do seem to have these symptoms ;
1. Should I shut up and watch him continue gambling.
2. Or risk the friendship to fall apart by suggesting him to go to a psychiatrist, because because in my place people who go to a psychiatrist are identical to people who have mental disorders.

Unfortunately you can give advice but you cannot change somebody who does not want to change. Often it takes a certain self realization that what they are doing is futile and wasteful, a conclusion that they have to establish themselves in order to start on the road to recovery. Pretty much everything you specified applies to other addictions like alcohol and drugs. You can always try to explain in logical ways - like the fact that Las Vegas wasn't paid for by winners, but some people simply do not understand the mathematics behind it or will constantly chase the dream that they deserve to be the lucky one. People who do things like chase losses will often concoct some bizarre sequence that they will soon win, when in actual fact every bet is totally independent from previous bets and the odds are almost always against them. The best you can do is try to help when they want to break free but definitely do not give them cash or anything that could be used to further fund an uncontrolled habit.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1118
...gambling responsibly. Do not be addicted.
thanks for the advice and maybe I will wait for the right time to talk about it, and maybe there should be a little humor in conveying it later Grin, I really should take her for coffee in her favorite cafe, but if I have to invite  her to drink beer, maybe I should also see a psychiatrist  Grin, because to be honest beer is a drink that is forbidden in my religion and family. Smiley
I do not think there is any problem to say the truth, it is only just a matter of telling him politely in a way he will not be offended. I think if your friend is a gambling addict, he will know that something is wrong about himself, but the stop is the issue, but you that have read about it will be able to tell him about the dangers there and about the reason he should stop, not that you are commanding him to stop but just you wish him to stop because quiting it for time being will help him. Just be polite about this and that you do not want what is not good for him is the reason you are advising him. As simple as that, it is not about bear or not imo.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 268
Binance #SWGT dan CERTIK Audited
Intervention would always be the best choice, however do it in a way that your friend will not be offended and will understand that your intentions are good. It’s in the way of delivering the bad news in a manner that the receiver will understand, and will not be triggered by the sudden rush of emotions that will result from the bad news that you uttered.

Just a few small talks and some beers may help you explain things in an unoffensive and personal manner. Better to have a small, temporary rift between you and your friend than to let him/her fall apart due to gambling.
thanks for the advice and maybe I will wait for the right time to talk about it, and maybe there should be a little humor in conveying it later Grin, I really should take her for coffee in her favorite cafe, but if I have to invite  her to drink beer, maybe I should also see a psychiatrist  Grin, because to be honest beer is a drink that is forbidden in my religion and family. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
Intervention would always be the best choice, however do it in a way that your friend will not be offended and will understand that your intentions are good. It’s in the way of delivering the bad news in a manner that the receiver will understand, and will not be triggered by the sudden rush of emotions that will result from the bad news that you uttered.

Just a few small talks and some beers may help you explain things in an unoffensive and personal manner. Better to have a small, temporary rift between you and your friend than to let him/her fall apart due to gambling.
It's a complicated issue when you want to give advice for his own good, but he won't listen, and sometimes there will be aggression towards you. Well, for me, if he isn't asking for help, I won't talk about it too deeply. If he wants to ruin his life, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do about it. Why should we care so much about our friend? It's his privacy after all. But in case you really want to help, tell his family about his problem and ask them to keep silent. Only his wife, son, parents, can talk to him.
Maybe I won't care what other people do, but not with my best friend whom I have considered a brother. But what I'm thinking right now is how to convey it without destroying the friendship that has existed since childhood, and honestly its emotional nature makes me have to think twice about conveying it without causing other problems.
copper member
Activity: 2324
Merit: 2142
Slots Enthusiast & Expert
It's a complicated issue when you want to give advice for his own good, but he won't listen, and sometimes there will be aggression towards you. Well, for me, if he isn't asking for help, I won't talk about it too deeply. If he wants to ruin his life, I'm afraid there is nothing you can do about it. Why should we care so much about our friend? It's his privacy after all. But in case you really want to help, tell his family about his problem and ask them to keep silent. Only his wife, son, parents, can talk to him.
This morning I read a scientific article that discusses the symptoms of a gambling disorder or behavior that is classified as severe gambling addiction.
And according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition: DSM-5, there are several symptoms that indicate the behavior of someone who is addicted, including:

• The individual with the disorder feels the desire to gamble and uses more and more money to get the pleasure he craves.

• Finds himself agitated and annoyed when he tries to gamble less or halt altogether.

• He has tried time and again to curb, lessen or halt gambling, but has not been able to.

• Many times, he obsesses about gambling, such as thinking about his past gambling involvement; preparing for another gambling session; and devising how to get the money he needs for gambling.

• When he feels unhappy, distraught, remorseful and hopeless, he gambles

• When he is defeated during gambling, he tries to make up for the loss of money by going back to gamble again, trying to win back what he lost.

• He is dishonest about his gambling, trying to cover up how much he participates in it.

• His gambling has caused an important relationship, academics, current career or future chance of a job to be in serious peril.

• He depends on other people to give him the money he needs to resolve serious problems he is having (paying the mortgage, utilities, loans, car payments).

• The gambling is not because of a manic episode.

• Stealing or cheating for money to gamble

Source : https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/gambling-disorder/what-is-gambling-disorder

In the last few hours I personally do self-introspection and analyze these symptoms may be in myself, family or friends. and as a result there are some of my friends who do seem to have these symptoms ;
1. Should I shut up and watch him continue gambling.
2. Or risk the friendship to fall apart by suggesting him to go to a psychiatrist, because because in my place people who go to a psychiatrist are identical to people who have mental disorders.

Note : This is my first topic in the gambling thread, and it may still have many shortcomings, but my intention is just to share a little information with everyone here and hopefully it will be useful. thank you...!

Pages:
Jump to: