Pages:
Author

Topic: Recommendation for multi-crypto software wallets that support BIP-39 passphrase - page 2. (Read 541 times)

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
Thanks, for the suggestions, but unfortunately both Unstoppable Wallet and Mycelium are mobile apps and I wasn't able to find any indication that crypto.com desktop app supports BIP-39 passphrase, just tried installing it and it only accepts the seed phrase when recovering wallets.
So you already have a passphrase-protected wallet that you created elsewhere, and now you want to recover it, am I right?

How many altcoins are we talking about? Is it too many to recover the seed + passphrase in separate wallets instead of one multicoin wallet?
I would first recover my bitcoin and move it elsewhere before starting to recover the alts. After that, start with the most valuable altcoin stash. I think you will have to lower your expectations here and use a closed-source wallet, but only do it after your BTC is safe.   
Activity: 854
Merit: 772
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim
Sorry, forgot to mention another key requirement which is being a desktop app (or at least browser extension) that can be run on Linux, so Unstoppable Wallet doesn't fit under that requirement.
What about to use free open-source Android Emulator for Linux?

Thanks, for the suggestions, but unfortunately both Unstoppable Wallet and Mycelium are mobile apps and I wasn't able to find any indication that crypto.com desktop app supports BIP-39 passphrase, just tried installing it and it only accepts the seed phrase when recovering wallets.

So the question is still there whether there are any open-sourced alternatives to Coinomi that will fit the bill.
You will probably find it hard to fulfill your requirement and will have to change some plans. I wouldn't only rely on open-source criteria, wallet has to be famous, demandable and frequently inspected by developers but there is no such wallet that unites many altcoins and also supports Linux or Windows. Or your best bet is to use android emulator. Another option, and I would say it's a good option, is to use hardware wallets. Trezor hardware wallet is probably better than many other software wallets that float online.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 4313
🔐BitcoinMessage.Tools🔑

So the question is still there whether there are any open-sourced alternatives to Coinomi that will fit the bill.
I wouldn't recommend using desktop versions of multicurrency wallets because they often contain much more vulnerabilities than regular Bitcoin-only wallets, but the closest thing I found that meets your criteria is this one: https://coin.space/. It has a Linux version, claims to have "a BIP39 passphrase encryption on wallet creation, hardening the security of your wallet right out of the gate", and is likely open-source since I managed to find their GitHub page: https://github.com/CoinSpace/CoinSpace. It could be that, however, they are confusing concepts by referring to a mere seed phrase as a wallet passphrase, so it needs verifying.

The other option is to switch to Windows or use emulators like Wine to run Unstoppable Wallet on a Linux machine. Or just ditch these pesky altcoins altogether.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom

Looks like AirGap would fit your requirements. It is open source,  multi-crypto, BIP39 compliant wallet and  has a Linux flavor .

I personally didn't use it but have come across many   good opinions about this wallet.

One of the opt with AirGap is a setup of  the cold storage on desktop

Here you can find a dedicated thread.
Interesting, this is the first time I have seen this name and after some research, it fulfills all the requirements of OP but the Airgap doesn't seem to be an actual wallet cause they mentioned it watch only a wallet for their product Airgap Vault.

Also, they focused on creating wallets for Android and IOS, I tried to click Windows and other platform download files but it only redirected me to the APK file nothing else that could find download links of .exe.
Activity: 714
Merit: 1298
Cashback 15%
Can anybody recommend a desktop software wallet (that can run on Linux) that natively supports BIP-39 passphrase ("13th/25th seed word") and multiple blockchains at the same time (at least Bitcoin and Ethereum)?

Sorry, forgot to mention another key requirement which is being a desktop app (or at least browser extension) that can be run on Linux,

Looks like AirGap would fit your requirements. It is open source,  multi-crypto, BIP39 compliant wallet and  has a Linux flavor .

I personally didn't use it but have come across many   good opinions about this wallet.

One of the opt with AirGap is a setup of  the cold storage on desktop

Here you can find a dedicated thread.
Activity: 3
Merit: 2

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
Coinomi is fine to me but since it's closed-source this wallet can't be trusted.

If you still looking for other alternative than the above suggestion I think Mycelium also supports multiple coins since you said "at least Bitcoin and Ethereum" then Mycelium support them check the guide below on how.

- https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/6v33jn/add_a_bip39_passphrase_to_your_12_words_wordseed/?rdt=53933

Sorry, forgot to mention another key requirement which is being a desktop app (or at least browser extension) that can be run on Linux, so Unstoppable Wallet doesn't fit under that requirement.

If that's what you looking for the only wallet that I know is AtomicDex which has open-sourced code but I never tested this wallet.

You don't have any other option but to use a hardware wallet that supports BIP39 with a passphrase like Trezor.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
You've got Unstoppable wallet[1][2] and Crypto.com desktop wallet[3]. I know their extension supports Bitcoin, so the desktop version should be no different.

EDIT: Crypto.com wallet may not be for you either. It doesn't look like it supports passphrases either.

[1] https://github.com/horizontalsystems/unstoppable-wallet-android
[2] https://unstoppable.money/
[3] https://github.com/crypto-com/chain-desktop-wallet
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
Unstoppable wallet is open source and support many altcoins. If you want to generate a wallet with seed phrase and passphrase, you can use Unstoppable wallet for it.

Unstoppable wallet {User experiences}
Can anybody recommend a desktop software wallet (that can run on Linux) that natively supports BIP-39 passphrase ("13th/25th seed word") and multiple blockchains at the same time (at least Bitcoin and Ethereum)?

Most of the hardware wallets like Trezor or Ledger support passphrase, but the only software multi-crypto wallet that I was able to find with passphrase support is Coinomi which is closed-source and has a bad reputation. The rest of the software wallets seem to be Bitcoin-only or Ethereum only (like MyCrypto).

Edited: added that it needs to be runnable on desktop, not a mobile app
Pages:
Jump to: