Pages:
Author

Topic: Recover founds old multisig coinbase wallet - page 2. (Read 498 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 68
Freedom speech and decentralized places. 💕
November 21, 2023, 11:32:49 AM
Haven't heard anything from here in a while. Just checking in from curiosity if anyone knows how the situation ended up? I hope OP did get access to his coins already.

Thanks in advance.
 - Regards BabyB. 👼

legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
That's a fake sense of security. I realized the same when offering my Fork claiming service: if either one of the parties moves the funds, it's impossible for the other party to prove anything. So it really comes down to trust.

Yes, and the blowback if something goes wrong could be big.
Even if it's nobody's 'fault'
Nobody thinks you are going to cut and run over such a small amount, but I would think it would be better if one of us sooner or later puts up a webpage with that tool and let people do it themselves.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I would prefer to use PGP encryption since I can decrypt the message on my airgapped device.
Good point, that is more secure.

everything is in the open and to minimize any risk of scam accusations from either side.
That's a fake sense of security. I realized the same when offering my Fork claiming service: if either one of the parties moves the funds, it's impossible for the other party to prove anything. So it really comes down to trust.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
for give you one adress, like my normal adresss in Coinbase to receive any bitcoin is good ? its starting by number 1 if I remember good
Yes, I could send the coins to that address.

If you do this, will you post a full HOWTO? It's ridiculous Coinbase killed this service, but it would be nice for future reference, even many years from now.
Certainly, but it's really as simple as cloning the repo at https://github.com/dlajarretie/multisig-tool, installing the necessary dependencies, and then following the instructions given. You can check the changes that fork has made compared to the Coinbase master, and see all it does is replace the defunct API and nothing malicious.

I've used this for seed phrases for my Fork claiming service:
I can do this if OP is happy with this, but I would prefer to use PGP encryption since I can decrypt the message on my airgapped device. The hot wallet which runs on the internet connected device I would use for this has never been hacked, but obviously the risk still exists.

-snip-
Good advice, and this is why I moved the conversation back here after OP PMed me - so everything is in the open and to minimize any risk of scam accusations from either side.
Activity: 238
Merit: 68
Freedom speech and decentralized places. 💕
Hey OP. I hope you will get your bitcoin "back" ASAP and this thread make me glad to see people come along and trying to help out. 🙏
But I just wanted to tell you that you should be aware of scammers/imposters here. I am glad to see people trying to help you and this people only want to help you, but be careful for people trying to be them in PM or Telegram.

I mean for example:  o_e_l_e_o would for sure not scam you and he/she only want's to help you, but be careful maybe someone trying to pretend to be o_e_l_e_o for later steal your funds.

- Regards BabyB. 👼
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I would be willing for him to send me his seeds and password and I can sign and broadcast a transaction sending the coins from this address to another address of his choosing.
If you do this, will you post a full HOWTO? It's ridiculous Coinbase killed this service, but it would be nice for future reference, even many years from now.

Don't send private keys from a standard email that doesn't encrypt messages.
The easiest way to send private keys (or seed words, depending on your wallet) is if you create a Protonmail account.
~
This way, the email has end-to-end encryption and should be secure. There's of course always the risk of your (or my) computer being compromised.
Alternatively, you can send half of each private key to my Protonmail email, and the other half by Bitcointalk PM. This way the parts don't end up on the same email account.
I've edited out my own email address, obviously both parties need to use Protonmail for the email to be encrypted.
Activity: 21
Merit: 12
OP has PMed me his three xpubs, which I have entered in to the tool locally and discovered an address containing coins which fits exactly with the story he has given in his first post.

The next steps will be for him to decide. Either we can help him try to set up the tool locally (preferred option!), or if that fails and if OP chooses then I would be willing for him to send me his seeds and password and I can sign and broadcast a transaction sending the coins from this address to another address of his choosing. Obviously any sensitive data being sent will need to be encrypted first, which will pose another challenge.

I'm posting this here in the interests of transparency.

Hello again o_e_l_e_o

I dont have any word to say thanks to you!!!

I dont have a very good level in computer.... I preferred the second option, but I undestand that means I need to have a lot a lot of confiance in you. and to be honest, from few years ago im very sad about this situation, because I havce some money but I cant recover it!

for give you one adress, like my normal adresss in Coinbase to receive any bitcoin is good ? its starting by number 1 if I remember good.

1J7sNfSwSa4d4Fc5sd9Fgc5SVUizYH3hbV

Im at your disposal, thank you Smiley

edit to put a picture from my coinbase exchange, with my bitcoin adress ( I think so)

https://postimg.cc/30j3zT7q
legendary
OP has PMed me his three xpubs, which I have entered in to the tool locally and discovered an address containing coins which fits exactly with the story he has given in his first post.

The next steps will be for him to decide. Either we can help him try to set up the tool locally (preferred option!), or if that fails and if OP chooses then I would be willing for him to send me his seeds and password and I can sign and broadcast a transaction sending the coins from this address to another address of his choosing. Obviously any sensitive data being sent will need to be encrypted first, which will pose another challenge.

I'm posting this here in the interests of transparency.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
I dont know how to put linux on my computer...
I'm afraid I rarely use Windows so I don't know how you would get this tool running on Windows. You could perhaps try running Windows System for Linux. Alternatively, run a VM or grab an old laptop or something you can install Linux on.

It should definitely work on Windows System for Linux, all you have to do is download a Linux distro from the Store (or whatever it's called now) like Ubuntu or something and it will install itself, then you can open a terminal and start working.

On Windows 10 this feature actually has to be enabled manually, from Apps and Features, but Windows 11 should have it already enabled.
legendary
I dont know how to put linux on my computer...
I'm afraid I rarely use Windows so I don't know how you would get this tool running on Windows. You could perhaps try running Windows System for Linux. Alternatively, run a VM or grab an old laptop or something you can install Linux on.

There are some posibilities about me for that?
If you simply want to check how much bitcoin is in your wallet, then you can PM me your xpubs and I can look up the relevant addresses for you using the tool on my end. As long as you don't send any of the seeds or passwords, then there is no chance of me being able to steal your coins and the only risk is in revealing to me how much bitcoin you own.
Hey OP, I've helped a couple of users in the past in the exact same situation as you. The issue is that the Coinbase recovery tool uses a now-defunct API, so it cannot access the balance on your addresses and then won't progress to letting you try to sign transactions.

There are a couple of options available to you. The most straight forward one is here: https://github.com/dlajarretie/multisig-tool
This is a direct fork of the Coinbase tool with the defunct API replaced with a working one.
Here's a user who successfully used this tool: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61722006

If you are struggling to get this tool to run, then this thread might be of help to you: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61907765

Thank you for your help!

I saw this message from you in the post you sent me,

Have you at least managed to identify the addresses and balances you are trying to gain access to here? You mentioned to me in your PMs that you are not sure how much bitcoin is stored in this vault.

Since we are struggling to get this to work for you, if you like you could send me your three xpubs (not private keys) and I could at least look up the addresses and balance for you. The only thing you lose by doing so is privacy by account of me knowing the addresses - there is no way for me to steal your coins from only knowing your xpubs. At least then we would know if you are wasting all this time trying to recover a very small amount of money. If you like I can provide you with my PGP key so you can encrypt any communication.

And moving forward, since we can't seem to get this tool working for you, then we could instead try going down the path of manually extracting the necessary xprv from your two keys and then recreating the multi-sig wallet in Electrum.

There are some posibilities about me for that?   Im agree if a need to share with you my xpub, I have only this 10 euros, (now 800) in the bitcoin and Im not a advanced user only I would like to close this chapitre for me... because Im not relax, I have also the final adresse where there are the bitcoin

Thank you again!!!

Have a good day.
Hey OP, I've helped a couple of users in the past in the exact same situation as you. The issue is that the Coinbase recovery tool uses a now-defunct API, so it cannot access the balance on your addresses and then won't progress to letting you try to sign transactions.

There are a couple of options available to you. The most straight forward one is here: https://github.com/dlajarretie/multisig-tool
This is a direct fork of the Coinbase tool with the defunct API replaced with a working one.
Here's a user who successfully used this tool: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61722006

If you are struggling to get this tool to run, then this thread might be of help to you: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61907765

Hello o_e_l_e_o  !!

This information its really very good for me, but.... Its very dificult for me to use the tool, I tried to do step by step all the processus to putted in the link on bitcointalk but... its not possible for me because... I dont know how to put linux on my computer...  I think this is for advanced users and I only a home user.... there is a way more easy to use this tool with the good API Huh also i dont speak english so its not easy for me on this way...

Really thank you very much to all peaople to are replying me.... I hope I will find this money one day....

Have a good day!!!
legendary

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
Please check the video I provided above that is how I withdraw funds out from the vault.
That's coinbase vault, not coinbase multisig vault.

Coinbase vault (which is used by you) is a custodial service and coinbase has full control over the fund. There is no real co-signer in coinbase vault. When you approve the withdrawal through your email address, you only tell coinbase that the withdrawal request has been made by the real owner and it's not that you are the co-singer.

Coinbase multi-sig vault (which is no longer supported and we are talking about that in this thread) was a 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet in which the user had access to two of the keys and had full control over the fund.

From Coinbase help:

Quote from: help.coinbase.com
Note that the multisig vault is different from the regular Coinbase vault, where we handle security on your behalf so you don't have to. If you don't want to maintain your own private keys, you can use the regular vault
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
Are you saying you have fund in coinbase multi-sig vault and you are able to withdraw your fund from that just with entering the 2FA code and email verification? How is that possible? As already said, they no longer supports multi-sig vault.
I feel you are confusing coinbase mutli-signature wallet with their custodial wallet.
No there is no email verification but only an approval link but it asks for 2FA, I'm using their vault and I usually use it to save a few sat before it always requires approval in my Coinbase account I can approve the withdrawal from the vault but it is still pending and it needs a 2nd approval by a co-signer/secondary email I receive an email from Coinbase(as a secondary email) and the email asks for my secondary approval by clicking the approve button the vault funds will be out within 24hours and will transfer to the main wallet.

Please check the video I provided above that is how I withdraw funds out from the vault.
legendary
@OP I don't think it would ask for a password because mine only asks for a 2FA code when withdrawing after entering the 2FA it will ask if you gonna approve the transaction or not and then the 2nd email will receive a link to approve the transaction.
Are you saying you have fund in coinbase multi-sig vault and you are able to withdraw your fund from that just with entering the 2FA code and email verification? How is that possible? As already said, they no longer supports multi-sig vault.
I feel you are confusing coinbase mutli-signature wallet with their custodial wallet.
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.

https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/managing-my-account/other/the-multisig-vault

Coinbase multisig vault is 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet.

One of the keys is owned only by the user. One of them is stored by coinbase and the user has no access to that. One of the keys (which is encrypted) is owned by both coinbase and user.
If you own two of the keys, you must be able to spend your fund without relying on Coinbase and without any need to 2FA or email verification.

It's weird I didn't receive any update about the vault and they never gave me any keys when I set up my vault. My vault was created in 2015 with 2FA and a secondary email they didn't send me any keys for recovery only the primary and secondary email is my backup to recover my vault.
This is weird and now they do have vault recovery on Github that asks for Coinbase, shared, and user xpub keys.

@OP I don't think it would ask for a password because mine only asks for a 2FA code when withdrawing after entering the 2FA it will ask if you gonna approve the transaction or not and then the 2nd email will receive a link to approve the transaction.

Or check this video below how to withdraw from the vault

- https://youtu.be/hM4o-TThT28?si=vHRcWP0sL32y_xcb

Try this NO IDEA IF IT WORKS OR NOT:
Go to https://github.com/pilsnerbeer/multisig-tool-fixed and under code download the zip file
Unzip the file to it's own folder by default by default it should put it in a folder called multisig-tool-fixed-master
In there there is a file index.html

If you do not have the chrome browser installed, get it from https://google.com/chrome

Once installed run it with the --allow-access-from-files parmamter and the index.html file

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18586921/how-to-launch-html-using-chrome-at-allow-file-access-from-files-mode

-Dave

I tried this, but not working I think its me who are not good in that because.... I need a wallet starting by number 3.... I dont know how can i get one adresse bitcoin starting by the number 3. and also I think Im not done with the all acces files to chrome i dont know really how its works the cmc.exe or something like that. its very hard for me.... today I spent all my sunday to get some information on the net.... 12 hours since this morning and I have nothing so maybe I need to forget this money....

Thanks all you!! really!!! if one day you have a solution for  my problem tell me Smiley))))))))

edit,  I have also the final adresse where I have the founds, its a adresses starting by 3KN.......  i dont know if that can help

Good afternoon to all, thank you very much
legendary
- An encrypted key which is owned by both coinbase and the user.
Which I supposed they can decrypt? Can't they? What is the point of an encrypted key in the first place if the user cannot decrypt it?
Right. OP has the encryption password and he/she should be able to decrypt the shared key, but the question is how the key should be decrypted, what's the encryption algorithm and what tool should be used for that.

Also, I am not even sure if the user share OP is talking about is a master private key or a seed phrase.
I have never also used Coinbase multi sig vault, through search I found out that you need to actual have some extended private key and if you have that then you can follow this guide to restore it in electrum https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20875786
The guide provided by Abdussamad in that thread won't help OP.
OP should recover a 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet. That thread is about recovering a 2 of 2 multi-signature wallet and is not related to OP's issue.

The weird thing is there is no announcement from Coinbase that they are going to terminate Vault Wallet and honestly creating a Vault Wallet does not generate a private key it requires only 2FA and another email as co-signer.
See this:

https://www.talkimg.com/images/2023/10/29/TiRVa.jpeg
https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/managing-my-account/other/the-multisig-vault

Coinbase multisig vault is 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet.

One of the keys is owned only by the user. One of them is stored by coinbase and the user has no access to that. One of the keys (which is encrypted) is owned by both coinbase and user.
If you own two of the keys, you must be able to spend your fund without relying on Coinbase and without any need to 2FA or email verification.

Yes I think i`ts that, I have all the information but how can I use them?

Thank you
Pages:
Jump to: