Pages:
Author

Topic: Recover founds old multisig coinbase wallet - page 3. (Read 498 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
- An encrypted key which is owned by both coinbase and the user.
Which I supposed they can decrypt? Can't they? What is the point of an encrypted key in the first place if the user cannot decrypt it?
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
To spend them, install Electrum on an air-gapped device and re-create the same wallet but use xpriv.
OP has now two of the keys, but the the problem is that the one that is shared with coinbase is encrypted and there is no way to import that to electrum.

In coinbase multi-sig wallet, there are 3 keys and they are as follows.

- An unencrypted key which is owned by the user and coinbase has no access to that.
- An unencrypted key which is owned by coinbase and the user has no access to that.
- An encrypted key which is owned by both coinbase and the user.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
Of course I have all the information neccesary, like the 3 xpub, encripted share, user share and my wallet password i have all the information I printed on 2016 from my wallet when I created it.
If the wallet is 2-of-3 multi-sig, and you do own two master private keys and three master public keys, then you have all the permission needed to spend coins.

Here's what I'd do if I were you:
- Install Electrum on an Internet connected device. It'd be advisable to use Electrum with proxy (i.e. Tor), unless you run your own full node and can connect there. Otherwise, Electrum servers can link your coins, and your privacy will be invaded. (Which has already happened as you used Coinbase, but anyway)
- Create new wallet -> "Multi-signature wallet" -> Enter 2-of-3 -> Enter all your xpub keys.
- Now the watch-only wallet will be initiated. Check if you can see your coins there. You can click the "Coins" tab to view the UTXOs.
- If you do see them, then great, the coins are there. To spend them, install Electrum on an air-gapped device and re-create the same wallet but use xpriv. You can create a transaction from the Internet connected device which can be signed by the air-gapped.

Obviously verify the signatures of Electrum binaries.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
Try this NO IDEA IF IT WORKS OR NOT:
Go to https://github.com/pilsnerbeer/multisig-tool-fixed and under code download the zip file
Unzip the file to it's own folder by default by default it should put it in a folder called multisig-tool-fixed-master
In there there is a file index.html

If you do not have the chrome browser installed, get it from https://google.com/chrome

Once installed run it with the --allow-access-from-files parmamter and the index.html file

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18586921/how-to-launch-html-using-chrome-at-allow-file-access-from-files-mode

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
I have never also used Coinbase multi sig vault, through search I found out that you need to actual have some extended private key and if you have that then you can follow this guide to restore it in electrum https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20875786
The guide provided by Abdussamad in that thread won't help OP.
OP should recover a 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet. That thread is about recovering a 2 of 2 multi-signature wallet and is not related to OP's issue.

The weird thing is there is no announcement from Coinbase that they are going to terminate Vault Wallet and honestly creating a Vault Wallet does not generate a private key it requires only 2FA and another email as co-signer.
See this:

https://help.coinbase.com/en/coinbase/managing-my-account/other/the-multisig-vault

Coinbase multisig vault is 2 of 3 multi-signature wallet.

One of the keys is owned only by the user. One of them is stored by coinbase and the user has no access to that. One of the keys (which is encrypted) is owned by both coinbase and user.
If you own two of the keys, you must be able to spend your fund without relying on Coinbase and without any need to 2FA or email verification.
Activity: 21
Merit: 12
The vault tool from Coinbase no longer works:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5316286

But if you read to the bottom: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5316286

Someone did make a working version at least as of 6 moths ago or so.
I can't comment on the safety of it or if it still works but it did back then.

Once you run the tool if it does work move your coins ASAP.

-Dave

Hello Dave!!

Thank you very much for your reply, I saw this but I have no idea how its working...

The usage is 1:1 same as with the old tool. For complete instructions, visit https://github.com/coinbase/multisig-tool/blob/master/README.md

In short:

download & run the project with npm install and make run (also you will need python3 to be able to run local server)
input your xpubs in step 1, then (optionally) go offline and input the rest for step 2. NOTE: For destination address, use P2SH address (starting with "3"). Native SegWit (bech32) addresses (starting with bc1) reportedly do not work.
raw transaction will be generated. It will send 100% of your funds (minus the fee) to the destination address. You can use https://coinb.in/#verify to verify that it's looking good, mainly if the destination address is matching.
broadcast raw transaction using any bitcoin client (for example, run broadcast("....") in Electrum console)
you are done!

what is npm install? python3 Huh?  run local server I dont understand??? where is the link to download the project? I'm not very good with computers and internet so all this information its new for me  Huh Grin

Thanks again, maybe we found a solution for me !!!!!! Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
October 29, 2023, 09:21:41 AM
The vault tool from Coinbase no longer works:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5316286

But if you read to the bottom: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--5316286

Someone did make a working version at least as of 6 moths ago or so.
I can't comment on the safety of it or if it still works but it did back then.

Once you run the tool if it does work move your coins ASAP.

-Dave
October 29, 2023, 09:10:44 AM
It seems you got an email from a scammer.
Are you sure we talking about Coinbase?
Another thing is why the email from Coinbase said you can only access the vault funds if you have these two keys?

The weird thing is there is no announcement from Coinbase that they are going to terminate Vault Wallet and honestly creating a Vault Wallet does not generate a private key it requires only 2FA and another email as co-signer.

Hello, thank you for your answer Smiley

A scammer is someone who try to stole you? I dont think so, because this was the answer after I putted a message in "Contact us" by coinbase exchange.

I dont really understud the email from coinbase... the answer for me was no really clair.

at the moment (2018) i dont see all the emails from coinbase stopping vault multisig, but I found one email, you will see, they informe me... Sad

Dear Valentin,

Following up on our previous message and blog post, we will be ending support for existing multisig vaults on Coinbase on April 19, 2018. Please remove all funds stored in your multisig vault prior to April 19, 2018.

Because this product is user-controlled, you can move funds with the two keys in your control but you will not be able to access the third key that Coinbase holds after this period. Please ensure that you have access to both keys.

After April 19, 2018, access to the multisig address associated with your vault will not be available on Coinbase.

If you have any issues, please see the FAQ at the bottom of this message.

Kind regards,

The Coinbase Team

FAQ

How do I access my multisig vault?
- Log in to your Coinbase account at www.coinbase.com. You cannot access your multisig vault using the mobile app.

- Navigate to the “Accounts” tab from the top of the screen.

- Select your multisig vault from your list of accounts.

- Press the “Withdraw” button on your multisig vault.

- Select one of your other non-multisig Bitcoin accounts to transfer your funds to, enter in the amount to transfer, and any two factor authentication codes if needed. Then press the “Continue” button.

- On the next screen, enter your vault password into the password field, then press the “Approve” button.

- Once approved, your withdrawal will enter the 48-hour waiting period before the funds are transferred. There is no way to bypass this waiting period.

What if I don’t know my vault password?
If you don’t know your vault password, you can instead copy/paste the user seed into the password field. This will allow you to approve your withdrawal. The user seed was provided to you when you created your multisig vault.

Where do I find my vault password or user seed?
Your vault password is the phrase you chose when you created your multisig vault. The user seed is a string of numbers/letters that was provided to you during the creation of your multisig vault. You should have stored or saved both of these pieces of information when you created your vault.

What if I forgot/lost my vault password or user seed?
Unfortunately, Coinbase cannot provide or recover your vault password or user seed to your multisig vault. This has always been the case for multisig vaults. The multisig vault specifically puts you in control of your own security, and Coinbase does not have access to your vault credentials.

Because the vault cannot be accessed without these credentials, if you have forgotten/lost BOTH the vault password AND the user seed, your vault funds will be inaccessible. We apologize that there is nothing further we can do to help in that case.

What if I use a group multisig vault?
If your multisig vault is a group vault, it requires multiple approvals from different people for each withdrawal. Once you initiate your withdrawal, you should contact the other people who are approvers on your vault and make sure they log in to Coinbase to approve the withdrawal.

To see a list of the people who are approvers on your multisig group vault, press the “...” button next to your vault and select “Vault Details.”

What will happen when Coinbase removes the multisig vault from my account list?
Once Coinbase removes multisig vaults from the account list, it will no longer be possible to access funds using the Coinbase interface. However, this open-source multisig tool will remain available and you can use that to withdraw your funds:

https://coinbase.github.io/multisig-tool/

Please note that the open-source multisig tool does not support group vaults.

If you have any additional questions, please reply directly to this message and we will be happy to help.

the problem the open-souce multisig tool is not working, so.... I dont know what to do.... I was silly to put the btc on a multisig, I'm not a PRO I dont know for what I did this....

but I would like to say once again, I have all my passwords... seeds... all... only I need the way to put then in a normal wallet.

I apreciate your help
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
October 29, 2023, 09:02:14 AM
It seems you got an email from a scammer.
Are you sure we talking about Coinbase?
Another thing is why the email from Coinbase said you can only access the vault funds if you have these two keys?

What I guess is you receive an email from a scammer and the scammer might be asking for your backup keys and password.
If they ask then don't send any keys because Coinbae never asks for any sensitive data(like private keys and password).
October 29, 2023, 08:52:11 AM
I have never also used Coinbase multi sig vault, through search I found out that you need to actual have some extended private key and if you have that then you can follow this guide to restore it in electrum https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.20875786

But if you don’t have them then read through this thread it might be similar to your problem https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58999396

I see on my coinbase account that I have around 800€ but no idea how can I put out to my bankaccount.
If you "see" your funds: are you talking about the wallet, or Coinbase the exchange? If it's Coinbase, you can sell your funds. If it's "the wallet", than I guess you have access already and can send your funds to an exchange to sell it.

Probably might be seeing the balance from an explorer by checking is address there, I doubt he has access already because he is asking of recovering the wallet

But if you don’t have them then read through this thread it might be similar to your problem https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58999396

I see on my coinbase account that I have around 800€ but no idea how can I put out to my bankaccount.
If you "see" your funds: are you talking about the wallet, or Coinbase the exchange? If it's Coinbase, you can sell your funds. If it's "the wallet", than I guess you have access already and can send your funds to an exchange to sell it.

Probably might be seeing the balance from an explorer by checking is address there, I doubt he has access already because he is asking of recovering the wallet

thanks you for your help, this post you sent me is may helping me a lot but.... I dont have any "xprv"   i saw in this forum maybe I need to "change" to convert to xprv but what I need to conver? how? I dont know if I explain you well or not with my english Smiley

thank you, good day to you
October 29, 2023, 08:44:04 AM
First: I've never used Coinbase Wallet, so I can't speak from experience.

Question:

Suggestion: sell some, but never sell everything. You have 8000% profit now, what if it goes up a lot more?

https://ibb.co/0FpsQG6

when I'm going in on coinbase, the exchange, I dont know if you can notive in my picture (first time I putted a picture on a forum) I see like my "account" is on 800€ but its not avaible to do some sell...

I already contacted coinbase exchange but no had any more reply from help.coinbase. Sad((((( it's for that I understud like Im alone for doing all that and im not really someone who are working on the sillicon valley with a lot a of competences Smiley

Valent
mar, 21 feb, 23:14
para Coinbase

Thank you for your answer.

Yes I have the two keys, can you give or explain me how can I recover my founds? The online recovery tolls is not working.

Thanks.

Valentin.

El lun, 20 feb 2023 a las 20:18, Coinbase Support (<[email protected]>) escribió:
Hello Valentin,

In 2018, Coinbase ended its offering of the Multisig Vault service. Coinbase provided all customers using that service with repeated written notice of this termination of service. Customers were directed to remove all their funds before Coinbase permanently shut down Multisig Vault service. At all times, customers in possession of their two multisig vault keys were and are able to remove their BTC. Customers who are no longer in possession of their two keys are not able to access and remove their funds.

Unless you have access to your two keys, there is no access to the funds you left in the multisig vault.

Thanks,
Coinbase Support

in the email they told like i can take my founds i have all my seeds and paswords... I have all but only I dont know how, using the coinbase exchange its not posible they stop  working with this product..

thank you again for all your answers!
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
October 29, 2023, 08:06:45 AM
I think he talks about the vault wallet from Coinbase and actually, there is no tool that you can use to recover the Coinbase vault.

If your Coinbase account was created in 2016 then to withdraw your funds from the vault is by providing your 2nd email(co-signer).
Based on my experience when I withdraw my funds from the Vault Coinbase emails me on my two emails with a link "Approve withdrawal" You should click approve withdrawal if you want to take your BTC out of the vault.

If you can access your Coinbase account you should be able to withdraw funds from the vault but the problem is if you still have control of your 2nd email?
Activity: 672
Merit: 855
October 29, 2023, 07:57:20 AM

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
October 29, 2023, 07:47:33 AM
First: I've never used Coinbase Wallet, so I can't speak from experience.

Question:

Suggestion: sell some, but never sell everything. You have 8000% profit now, what if it goes up a lot more?
October 29, 2023, 07:34:45 AM
Hello hello,

Im Val, and I have some troubles from few years ago...

On 2016 I bouth 10 euros bitcoin, and I putted then in a multisig coinbase wallet, now I see on my coinbase account that I have around 800€ but no idea how can I put out to my bankaccount.

I saw a lot of messages here, like the tool recovery is not working and its true, it's not working and for me never had worked.

I tried electrum.... and some other programs but Im not very good on the net, and also Im not a englishspoken, today I decided to write you a message otherwise I will forget this money because a lot of time wasted already for nothing,

Of course I have all the information neccesary, like the 3 xpub, encripted share, user share and my wallet password i have all the information I printed on 2016 from my wallet when I created it.

Can someone else, give some information?  I dont know really a lot of information.

Thank you very much!!!!
Pages:
Jump to: