Pages:
Author

Topic: [Ref] Hey theymos I've got a brilliant idea (honest!) & other symbols of use - page 2. (Read 776 times)

legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
Why not have a corresponding symbol for Ether
No, let's not do that. I had to look at coinmarketcap.com to even know what's used for it, turns out it's a pile of triangles. The Bitcoin symbol is widely known and accepted, all altcoins are only created to make the creator rich and will never reach the level of recognition Bitcoin has.
What's next, separate symbols for Forkcoins? That'll be even more confusing for Newbies.

Just writing ETH makes it perfectly clear what you mean. Only Bitcoin should get special treatment on a forum about Bitcoin.
copper member
Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504
Spear the bees
Am just putting these here as well for people to use:

£ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™

Other Symbols people have trouble with:

½ ¼ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

Yet more symbols:

№ Ω ₤ ♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Native symbol support seems like a trite use of time considering 99.5% of forum users won't even bother because they're too busy spamming 3-minute posts.

For the rest of the 0.5% that do spend more time on their posts, I'm sure they have time to look up symbols that they'll seldom use in their replies. Currency symbols are usually localized if you get your keyboard from the respective nation and if not the common equivalent would just be the currency acronym (e.g. GBP, USD, SEK, etc.)

Fractional symbols I'd argue actually make it worse for readability. I can view 1/2, 1/4 much more easily than a scrunched-up version with a diagonal divider (which a lot of mathematicians dislike) and mobile/small-screen users will definitely struggle with the symbol. These are the worst: ⅓ ⅔
One thing that we open up with the introduction of more and more symbols is the idea of confusables. Obviously, your additional of an [eth] symbol doesn't reach this but the introduction of further symbols starts to teeter towards the plagiarism dodging.

Example: p ; ρ  | o ; ɒ  (source)
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 2218
💲🏎️💨🚓
Concerning the non coin related symbols, my screenshot of the bounty section was just an example. If you would make the every-day user aware of the possibility, that they are able to use many different buttons or symbols in their posts, I am sure many more people would use these. Posts would get unbelievably messy and hard to read. I don't believe anyone wants to read posts all day, that look like the todays posts in the bounty section.

My point was that that is an unrelated issue (and IIRC there's a separate thread for discussion on removing or limiting their use here on BCT)

If we (bitcoiners) get involved in creating a symbol for ETH, then why not do it also for other coins Huh

I've seen an often used Ether symbol in various places, that's the symbol I'm referring to.  I'm not suggesting we introduce symbols for any or all alts, I'm just talking about one piece of BBCode which users can, or don't use as they wish.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 4417

Thanks for your input, however your reasoning is flawed - show me a topic that has the BitCoin symbol embedded in the title.  (There are none) You are confusing the ability to put symbols via Android (and Apple??) from mobile devices.  I'm talking about utilising BBCode to show other alt coins, specifically just Ether (for the moment at least)

It looks like you got me wrong on my first post. I am talking about two different things. I am aware that there are no Bitcoin symbols embedded in the title. Nevertheless I think adding symbols for other Altcoins isn't a good idea for the reasons I mentioned above (above the line in my first post).

Concerning the non coin related symbols, my screenshot of the bounty section was just an example. If you would make the every-day user aware of the possibility, that they are able to use many different buttons or symbols in their posts, I am sure many more people would use these. Posts would get unbelievably messy and hard to read. I don't believe anyone wants to read posts all day, that look like the todays posts in the bounty section.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 6524
Fully-fledged Merit Cycler|Spambuster'23|Pie Baker
I voted also for "No", as ETH doesn't have any symbol accepted by a consensus of its users.

For developing a BTC symbol multiple debates were needed inside the forum (and outside of it as well), discussions carried out by Bitcoin community.

If there was such a debate inside the ETH community topic ([ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning), which has 1239 pages already, then either I'm not aware of or they didn't reach a consensus.

Thus, I don't see why the Bitcoin community would get involved in ETH community bussines. They should come with such idea, not bitcoiners.

If we (bitcoiners) get involved in creating a symbol for ETH, then why not do it also for other coins Huh
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓

Thanks for your input, however your reasoning is flawed - show me a topic that has the BitCoin symbol embedded in the title.  (There are none) You are confusing the ability to put symbols via Android (and Apple??) from mobile devices.  I'm talking about utilising BBCode to show other alt coins, specifically just Ether (for the moment at least)
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 4417
I would prefer a "thumbs down"-Button instead, to put it here. Isn't this place called Bitcointalk.org?  Cheesy

Okay that was it little bit harsh maybe, please forgive me. But let me explain why I don't think adding more "Altcoin-symbols" is a good idea, even it is only for Ether for now:

If we start adding a new symbol for Ether, other people will quickly come up with new suggestions for their Alt-(Shitcoins). At the beginning their suggestions might be somewhat reasonable, because their coin might have a huge userbase or is widely spread, but after a while idiot people and scammers will ask to add symbols for obvious scams like BSV or shilled shitcoins like XRP. Do we really want this? I doubt it.

I voted for the "No - Just BitCoin" option in the poll.

Other non-coin related buttons and symbols could be useful though. Nevertheless these would need to be selected very carefully. We don't want the whole forum to look like this:

Link to the Altcoin section. Don't click it. You will find a lot of bullshit.
Activity: 868
Merit: 185
Roobet supporter and player!

Why not have a corresponding symbol for Ether [ETH] and some of the other symbols that are used in the currency exchange/lending and other places around the forum?

You have a brilliant suggestion. Having different symbols in various cryptocurrency is way too good because we can use it in altcoin discussion and so on.

But I think the reason behind bitcoin is only a cryptocurrency that has symbol here, is that it is the brand of the forum. It may also an acknowledgement for Satoshi since bitcointalk.org is made to discuss all about bitcoin and he was founded this forum. See how, theymos gave a brief history of bitcoin founders, here °

I voted for no, since I want an special treatment in bitcoin here even other cryptocurrency accepted and have been discussed in this forum. For me, having that symbol for bitcoin only represents an honor for Satoshi. He founded this forum without the help of Vitalik. So, it must be appreciated even in just a symbol.

However, this is just my opinion. And I can't do anything if Mr. Theymos will accept your offer.
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓
legendary
💲🏎️💨🚓
Hey theymos - I've got a brilliant idea... (honest!)

I've made this a poll so others can vote and make their opinion known to @theymos.  Comments welcome.

Background:

We have a symbol for BitCoin by typing [BTC] which gives us:

BTC

Why not have a corresponding symbol for Ether [ETH] and some of the other symbols that are used in the currency exchange/lending and other places around the forum?

[ETH]

Am just putting these here as well for people to use:

£ $ ₹ € ¥ ¢ ≠ ÷ ™

Other Symbols people have trouble with:

½ ¼ ¾ ⅓ ⅔ ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

Yet more symbols:

№ Ω ₤ ♀ ♂ ♠ ♣ ♥ ♦

Thanks for reading.

Post # 5,600
Pages:
Jump to: