Pages:
Author

Topic: Regarding risers and PSU cables - page 3. (Read 3638 times)

Activity: 1400
Merit: 505
May 24, 2017, 03:41:36 PM
Hi,

I'm going to order 8 or so risers (will only use 6 GPU's but wanted two extra spares just in case) but I'm not quite sure what to pick. I've also got a question for you experienced miners regarding PSU cables for the risers. So here goes.

Should I order risers with 6-pin connectors? If so, can I power 1 GPU and 1 riser with the same cable from the PSU? If not, then the cables on the PSU won't be enough.

Or should I order risers with molex connectors? If so, can I power two risers with one cable from the PSU? Also, the EVGA G2 1300 that I've purchased only have two cables with molex, would it be possible to take another one from my EVGA G2 750 that I'm not using? I'm assuming it's the same cables. Can I plug the third molex cable (on the PSU side) into one of the ones that are supposed to be for the sata cables (there are only two peripheral slots on the PSU)?

Thank you!

most PSU these days have limited molex connector, and have a tons of sata connector
and most sata cable will be burned out to flame on RX GPU, so there are no place for sata in mining rig to be safe
since pcie 6-pin cables are limited, and even more limited molex, it still better to use pcie 6 pin cables since their spec is designed to deliver up to 150w (molex is only 50w, sata is only 35w)

so the solution is just use PCIE 6-pin splitter, one end for riser, and another one for gpu, so each gpu+riser only use one cable from PSU

Activity: 378
Merit: 250
May 24, 2017, 02:46:39 PM
The PSU I've purchased has six dedicated cables for the GPU's, so if I can use each cable for one GPU and one riser, then it's all good and I'll go with that.

If that's not recommended, then I'll have to use the molex's but the PSU only has two dedicated molex cables. So with six risers, I'd need an extra molex cable. Question is if I can plug it into the connector in the PSU that's supposed to be for SATA cables - and if I can take that molex cable from another PSU (same model but lower watt)?
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
May 24, 2017, 02:20:15 PM
This is definitely a tricky question.

The riser cards do pull a fair amount of wattage, so you definitely don't want to string a bunch of them on one line. Also the SATA to MOLEX adapters can melt, so I hear. I've never had it happen, but to be safe, try and not use them.

I only put a max of 2 risers on a chain, and less if possible.

I use a mix of the molex powered adapters and the SATA powered adapters like this:
https://www.amazon.com/CHICPICK-Dedicated-Graphics-Extension-Connector/dp/B01NBIOXNQ

I haven't had any problems yet, but like I mentioned, I only do 2 max per chain, 1 if possible.

If you have extra 6-pin, definitely use those, because they are designed to put out more wattage and are less likely to overheat.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
May 24, 2017, 01:18:31 PM
Hi,

I'm going to order 8 or so risers (will only use 6 GPU's but wanted two extra spares just in case) but I'm not quite sure what to pick. I've also got a question for you experienced miners regarding PSU cables for the risers. So here goes.

Should I order risers with 6-pin connectors? If so, can I power 1 GPU and 1 riser with the same cable from the PSU? If not, then the cables on the PSU won't be enough.

Or should I order risers with molex connectors? If so, can I power two risers with one cable from the PSU? Also, the EVGA G2 1300 that I've purchased only have two cables with molex, would it be possible to take another one from my EVGA G2 750 that I'm not using? I'm assuming it's the same cables. Can I plug the third molex cable (on the PSU side) into one of the ones that are supposed to be for the sata cables (there are only two peripheral slots on the PSU)?

Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: