Pages:
Author

Topic: ROI question on mining rigs - page 3. (Read 7714 times)

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606
May 21, 2017, 09:30:48 PM
ETH is going Proof of Stake at some point, *probably* this year sometime - at which point there are over 29 THOUSAND TERRAHASH (this amounts to about 1 MILLION GPUs) worth of GPUs plus whatever gets added between now and then that are going to be looking for new homes, which is going to HAMMER profitability on every other coin that CAN be mined by GPUs (mostly the higher-profit by AMD mineable ones, as most ETH is probably being mined by AMD cards) - at which profitability for GPU mining is probably going to drop back down to the ballpark it was in 2 months ago even if the current coin PRICING stays high.

So if this is the case, what would you recommend as far as ASIC vs. GPU vs. buy/hold vs. trading?

ASICs - special purpose so old equipment can't be re-purposed - almost no resale value.
GPU - cards and MB can be resold without taking too much of a hit.
buy/hold - simple, but one is hoping the currency goes up.
trading - 90% of traders lose money.  Exchanges have a history of being hacked.  

With a 100% ROI of 2-3 months on average, ATM GPU mining is a no lose proposition as long as you don't mind dealing with the noise and heat. Trading is a good option for those with limited funds or space to setup a mining operation. The risk of trading/holding is large price fluctuations and the coins you buy could go down and you may be stuck holding the bag. With mining you always have the hardware that can be resold.

Bad exchanges are also a risk, but it can be minimized by sticking with reputable exhanges that have been around a while and only keeping what you can afford to lose in your account at one time. Overall I have made more profit by trading and holding than mining by far. The hard part is knowing what to buy.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
May 21, 2017, 09:14:04 PM
ETH is going Proof of Stake at some point, *probably* this year sometime - at which point there are over 29 THOUSAND TERRAHASH (this amounts to about 1 MILLION GPUs) worth of GPUs plus whatever gets added between now and then that are going to be looking for new homes, which is going to HAMMER profitability on every other coin that CAN be mined by GPUs (mostly the higher-profit by AMD mineable ones, as most ETH is probably being mined by AMD cards) - at which profitability for GPU mining is probably going to drop back down to the ballpark it was in 2 months ago even if the current coin PRICING stays high.

So if this is the case, what would you recommend as far as ASIC vs. GPU vs. buy/hold vs. trading?

ASICs - special purpose so old equipment can't be re-purposed - almost no resale value.
GPU - cards and MB can be resold without taking too much of a hit.
buy/hold - simple, but one is hoping the currency goes up.
trading - 90% of traders lose money.  Exchanges have a history of being hacked. 

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
May 21, 2017, 09:08:41 AM
It really all depends on the price of the alt coins staying strong Smiley

This is just 2 x 1080ti's, and is constantly fluctuating with coin prices and profiability etc.

Which program are you using for multi-algo switching?
Is that the one in the screenshot?
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
May 21, 2017, 04:33:23 AM
A 3-card RX 480 / RX 580 rig RIGHT NOW will gross over $300/month on ETH, somewhat less on ZEC - then subtract the electric cost (probably $1/day or a little less unless your electric is NOT low cost).

Cost to build such a rig with reasonable care at parts buying is $1200 or less, you MIGHT get it down a bit under $1100 or so with very careful selection of the lowest-price parts.

This was NOT the case as little as 2 months ago - profitability on ALL major coins has more than doubled over the last couple months as many of the major coins have had HUGE price runups (and the difficulty has NOT been able to keep pace).
 For perspective, my mix of ASIC and GPU gear hasn't changed much in the last 3 months (I added *one* GTX 1080 card), but my income has jumped by a factor of *ALMOST 3* over the last 2 months.
 (I can't wait 'till I get into the new place I have lined up with over double the power available - I'm power-limited at this point BADLY).

The nice thing about having quite a few profitable coins is that if one coin has a big jump, it will soak some of the hashrate out of the other coins in the "basket of profitable coins" and drive THEIR profitability up some as well, 'till the profitability is back in the same ballpark for the "basket" coins, so you don't really HAVE to go chasing "the most profitable coin" every day or every hour to benefit from the price jump of one specific coin.

There is also the Nicehash option - they're usually pretty competative on profitability with whatever the "hot coin of the day" is.

One other major issue to keep in mind.

legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
May 21, 2017, 02:05:53 AM
OP after a quick(and pretty rough) calculation I think for about $4000-6000 you can make yourself 3-4 rigs which will net you about $400-$500 in total every month. Now if you could work something out to pay less for power you'd be swimming in money. These new electricity meters are often checked wirelessly and can also have their settings changed this way, without need of opening it up and breaking the seal or whatever. Just a thought Cheesy
See my link on page one for the 1k address.

He spent about 3k I think.  Actually less than 3k...  the two month full speed running total still hasn't hit for the hashrate the machines have.  It's still increasing.  Compare payout history for past weeks to see how well it did.
May 21, 2017, 12:28:33 AM
re: hash rates.

Checkout this link for some from various cards.  Would be a good estimate.
http://1stminingrig.com/are-the-rx570-and-rx580-profitable-mining-performance-review/

Activity: 30
May 20, 2017, 11:18:04 PM
Thanks the https://blockoperations.com/6-gpu-mining-rig-amd-rx580-intel-lga-1151-ethereum-zcash system looks interesting.

How does one calculate in advance the approx hash rate I'd get on that setup?

Also maybe this is a dumb question but I assume this is good for mining any GPU based coin right? (Not just etherium and zcash)
May 20, 2017, 07:25:08 PM
OP after a quick(and pretty rough) calculation I think for about $4000-6000 you can make yourself 3-4 rigs which will net you about $400-$500 in total every month. Now if you could work something out to pay less for power you'd be swimming in money. These new electricity meters are often checked wirelessly and can also have their settings changed this way, without need of opening it up and breaking the seal or whatever. Just a thought Cheesy

Where are you coming up with those numbers?  This guy, blockoperations, is a pretty big miner operator and on his website he has some costs on building a rig - 6 GPU for 2,250.  He includes a break down of the components and prices.  So, for 6k that would only put you at 2.6 rigs.  Maybe it can be done cheaper than blockoperations, but at the same time quality components don't break down as fast.

https://blockoperations.com/6-gpu-mining-rig-amd-rx580-intel-lga-1151-ethereum-zcash

Activity: 280
🌟 æternity🌟 blockchain🌟
May 20, 2017, 06:29:05 PM
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1165
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
May 20, 2017, 06:16:16 PM

With current market price for ETH, a 6 rig investment will yield you a net profit of $655 per 30 day period, when every gpu is able to push out 30mhash/900mhash dual mining. Your investment for said rig will be anywhere between $1800-2300 depending on where you buy your parts.

pre-built rigs are great if you want to pay $100-500 extra to save yourself a few hours of price comparison/assembling. Nvidia doesn't even come close to AMD when it comes to mining ETH/DCR.

I beg to differ on nvidia.

Mining an older algo;  with 5x 1080 and 1x 1070;  over 1K/mo in earnings.  thats not chump change in comparison..  better wattage/hash ratio too.

my equivalent of 3x 1070, earns me over 300/mo presently.

see for yourself:
http://zpool.ca/?address=1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP

http://zpool.ca/?address=1kLsGT9egk3utSKZH46ydTbKj5oMnmBoN

What miner are you using to get that that's pretty impressive

Its all shown on the wallet page.   skein primarily mined using ccminerAlexis78.

I don't follow the heard;  I do my own research and It lead me here....   before that, I was on Lyra2V2, but its profitability took a dive, and was not near as consistent as skein.

I havent tested timetravel myself yet.  Kinda been very happy with what works, on top of the fact that coins like DGB and AUR are jumping in the markets.... so why leave the profitable algo??? lol
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
May 20, 2017, 06:02:12 PM

This is just 2 x 1080ti's, and is constantly fluctuating with coin prices and profiability etc.

Are there any writeups for setting up a 1080ti rig?
Activity: 42
May 20, 2017, 03:25:41 PM
with a electricty cost of 0.16$, wich is really high for a european country (france) ...

Shocked

You lucky guy! In germany it´s 0,32$ ... I am still mining but I don´t earn a lot.
Activity: 349
May 20, 2017, 01:28:42 PM

the 1080ti is very good at skein almost double of one 1070 but don't consume double the wattage, so very efficient, what are the speed for bitcoin core, the new coin with timetravel10?

If you mean Bitcore then I get ~26.5 MH/s per card
Activity: 406
May 20, 2017, 01:19:43 PM

the 1080ti is very good at skein almost double of one 1070 but don't consume double the wattage, so very efficient, what are the speed for bitcoin core, the new coin with timetravel10?
Activity: 349
May 20, 2017, 01:07:02 PM

Activity: 350
Merit: 100
May 20, 2017, 01:02:23 PM

With current market price for ETH, a 6 rig investment will yield you a net profit of $655 per 30 day period, when every gpu is able to push out 30mhash/900mhash dual mining. Your investment for said rig will be anywhere between $1800-2300 depending on where you buy your parts.

pre-built rigs are great if you want to pay $100-500 extra to save yourself a few hours of price comparison/assembling. Nvidia doesn't even come close to AMD when it comes to mining ETH/DCR.

I beg to differ on nvidia.

Mining an older algo;  with 5x 1080 and 1x 1070;  over 1K/mo in earnings.  thats not chump change in comparison..  better wattage/hash ratio too.

my equivalent of 3x 1070, earns me over 300/mo presently.

see for yourself:
http://zpool.ca/?address=1PHSDYvVp6HpqtuUPocK41DrdeHbbezaeP

http://zpool.ca/?address=1kLsGT9egk3utSKZH46ydTbKj5oMnmBoN

What miner are you using to get that that's pretty impressive
Activity: 467
Merit: 578
May 20, 2017, 12:49:11 PM
my friends ~3K investment in gpu rigs nets him currently a little over 1K/mo.

He did wait for people selling cards at a deal.

Typical GPU rigs ROI in 3-6mo.  in today's market, as low as 2 months.  but that can always change drastically.

That is right for the used cards and if the price of coins drop, ROI will be much longer.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
May 20, 2017, 11:10:04 AM

What hashrate are your individual 1080's getting?
Which miner are you using?

cheers,
Ed
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
May 20, 2017, 11:04:24 AM
Keep in mind the reason every AMD video card is sold out right now is because EVERYONE is building rigs.
Therefore the difficulty is going up and the profits are going to be going down as all the new rigs come online.
Over a 25% increase in the past month.

Be sure to include this in your calculations.

If ETH goes back to the price it was 2 months ago - you'll be able to buy lots of mining rigs cheap - because they won't be able to make money Smiley

...AND

Ethereum is going to switch to POS (no more mining) which is going to have a huge impact on every coin as all that mining power needs to find something else to mine.
May 20, 2017, 10:57:26 AM
Re: using mining rigs also as computer workstations

If one were to test this idea out, is there anyone selling a pre-built for dual use purposes (mining/office work), or would one have to build it themselves?  Building a rig wouldn't too hard, but having rig that has already been tested, has quality components, and a company behind it would be better.

Some quick googling, looks like there are docker GPU miner containers out there.
Pages:
Jump to: