Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 225. (Read 387493 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
June 17, 2014, 12:20:34 PM
I agree that BBR dev is extremely good.  I consider myself a good developer.  I do not hand out such complements often (ever?).

Name is silly enough to be a problem at some point -- could prevent it from becoming a monopoly currency -- but actually has a quirky charm.  Logo is delicous, brilliant.  Love that logo.

Hash algorithm is utterly uninteresting.  Remove that item from the list.  It is not much more ASIC resistant than cryptonight.  It is actually harmful right now because of private GPU mining.

Open source software is not a competitive edge.  It is interesting, helpful, powerful, yes, but it is not an edge.

Emission is a chaotic factor.  Only a blind ideologue or a brilliantly foresightful causal analyst with deep insight into the demographics of the user base would form a firm conclusion from an emission rate, once "premine" issues are no longer a problem.  BBR was a fair launch, so emission is not a disqualifier.

My gut tells me BBR will do well at some point for some period of time.  It would not be unwise to accumulate some, but the book is dodgy enough and the mined supply overhanging enough to mean you may have a big drawdown from this price for a while before BBR sees its brightest days.  In the long-run, I do not think a substantial proportion of the global economy will run on something called Boolberry introduced by someone called crypto_zoidberg.  It is a cartoon lark.
BBR will dilute XMR demand during BBRs best times.  XMR will grow orders of magnitude larger in the long run, barring substantial material adversity.  It will adopt BBRs best software improvements, and have a much stronger network.

I would sacrifice a minor body part to have that logo on my favcoin, however.

Activity: 588
Merit: 504
June 17, 2014, 12:14:43 PM
How does it lack a blockchain?

I think he meant to write block explorer.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
June 17, 2014, 12:11:36 PM
Problem with BBR is lack of blockchain.
Quantity of coins is roughly unknown but probably about 500-750k.

Roughly a market cap of BTC1,187.5

XMR market cap of BTC7,805

I for one have no idea what to make of BBR since it has a terrible name. Watching for short-term trading opportunities and developments though.

How does it lack a blockchain?
June 17, 2014, 12:04:43 PM

I for one have no idea what to make of BBR since it has a terrible name. Watching for short-term trading opportunities and developments though.

No, it's much less than 750k. All you have to do is blockheight * blockreward.
The reward will diminish gradually (it's already gone from 17.4 - 17.0)

Based on current supply & last prices at poloniex:
BBR  market cap            BTC678
XMR (via coinmarketcap) BTC7,759

Draw your own conclusions here..

Activity: 15
June 17, 2014, 11:42:21 AM

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
June 17, 2014, 11:33:38 AM

What about WKeccak vs Cryptonote gpu "friendliness"? Which pow is expected to perform better on GPU once the optimized gpu code is released?

Current thought is it can be 2-7 times more efficient but not quite that cost efficient.  The idea is as the coin matures the scratchpad size will increase.  Currently the scratchpad can be creatively divided among texture memory on GFX cards.  But in time that will no longer be easy to do.  Rumors of a hard fork to cure this seem to be dying down because of this.

Currently the developer of the Wild Keccak GPU miner is keeping it to himself.  Looks like it will only really benefit him.
Activity: 299
Merit: 250
June 17, 2014, 11:10:56 AM
Can someone in the know summarize the BBR coin for me in 10 lines, please.

- Great team
- Sexy cross-platform GUI (Windows/Linux/MacOS)
- Fast synchronization blockchain
- Forced TX mixing
- Network Alerts
- Optional 1% donation to devs
- Reduced blockchain weight (dust tx removed)
- Wallet addresses aliasing
- Different emission curve
- Different algo (Wild Keccak)
- Special prefix tx off rig signature

What about WKeccak vs Cryptonote gpu "friendliness"? Which pow is expected to perform better on GPU once the optimized gpu code is released?
Activity: 56
June 17, 2014, 08:09:36 AM
Well hoarding is always a problem, but perhaps there are just too few of them to not hoard, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: how fast is the supply increasing?

Daily supply should be about 12k or so.

edit: Specifically, I was referring to the supply going to market .. not the daily supply mined. If someone's willing to pay me almost 2x as much as what I had yesterday for something .. I'm probably gonna take that deal. Especially if I have the ability to sell off parts of what I have rather than the entire thing at once.

June 17, 2014, 08:04:27 AM
BBR/BTC  +156.6%    Last: 0.00231  High: 0.00301  Low: 0.000815

I think we missed the train yesterday. Sad

Maybe not, there are some serious issues at the moment and talk about a hard fork- so don't feel so bad. Those gains might be only temporary.
I think those "gains" were because of the GUI wallet news (yesterday?). On my opinion a GUI wallet have almost noting to add to the current value and this is a two days hype. If you think you missed the train and want to buy I think it's going to be where it was very soon. I have less then 1 BTC and some XMR and I'm not replacing any of those for BBR. If i had for example 100 BTC - why not - I was going to buy some just in case.

Additionally, I'd like to add that there's very little supply. There's been a 50 BTC buy wall @ a price of 177% of yesterdays starting value before the spike .. it's been there for hours. Nobody has sold into it. To further test this, I put out a few very small orders of my own and, again, nobody sold into my buys until a little over an hour (I set them at 230% of yesterdays value!) . I think this has a lot to do with the private GPU miner situation .. where the people who don't have access to it are forced to have extreme expectations on what price they should sell at. I literally can't buy any at a price that's more than double yesterday! I wouldn't even consider paying more than that .. so ultimately I had to just give up. I hope some real progress is made on addressing the tendency to hoard ..

Well hoarding is always a problem, but perhaps there are just too few of them to not hoard, if you know what I mean.

EDIT: how fast is the supply increasing?
Activity: 56
June 17, 2014, 08:02:37 AM

Maybe not, there are some serious issues at the moment and talk about a hard fork- so don't feel so bad. Those gains might be only temporary.
I think those "gains" were because of the GUI wallet news (yesterday?). On my opinion a GUI wallet have almost noting to add to the current value and this is a two days hype. If you think you missed the train and want to buy I think it's going to be where it was very soon. I have less then 1 BTC and some XMR and I'm not replacing any of those for BBR. If i had for example 100 BTC - why not - I was going to buy some just in case.

Additionally, I'd like to add that there's very little supply. There's been a 50 BTC buy wall @ a price of 177% of yesterdays starting value before the spike .. it's been there for hours. Nobody has sold into it. To further test this, I put out a few very small orders of my own and, again, nobody sold into my buys until a little over an hour (I set them at 230% of yesterdays value!) . I think this has a lot to do with the private GPU miner situation .. where the people who don't have access to it are forced to have extreme expectations on what price they should sell at. I literally can't buy any at a price that's more than double yesterday! I wouldn't even consider paying more than that .. so ultimately I had to just give up. I hope some real progress is made on addressing the tendency to hoard ..
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
June 17, 2014, 07:49:16 AM
BBR/BTC  +156.6%    Last: 0.00231  High: 0.00301  Low: 0.000815

June 17, 2014, 07:21:33 AM

June 17, 2014, 06:32:27 AM

Not when it was trading at 0.003+ prior to even being listed on an exchange.

- Great team
- Forced TX mixing
- Network Alerts

that's 11 lines Wink
But I'll look into it Smiley

This would be an interesting thing to analyse for XMR/BBR comparison.

BBR features transaction outs with guaranteed anonymity. An additional attribute for out is added: it can ONLY be used in the transaction with mixin level in ring signature not less than a given number. The feature is added to ensure the user's anonymity of transactions ring signature over time.
legendary
Activity: 1554
June 17, 2014, 06:07:49 AM

legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!
June 17, 2014, 06:06:12 AM

- Great team
- Forced TX mixing
- Network Alerts

that's 11 lines Wink
But I'll look into it Smiley
June 17, 2014, 06:00:50 AM
The BBR emission curve seems preferable to XMR, in terms of the buy support that would need to come in to offset newly minted coins being dumped on market

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Boolberry: 1464 days (~4 years)      6.373539000000 block reward     63% total emission percent 11701616.548800000000

Monero: 80% of the coins are mined within 4 years

Short term emission, BBR has a less steep curve .. but 17% difference after 4 years is not so large that I'd let it turn me away for long term holding of XMR. I mean maybe if I were considering short term holdings on both then I can sympathize with you somewhat, but I'm considering this more of a long-term kind of thing.

I'm not arguing the case that XMR is overvalued relative to BBR, more that BBR seems undervalued relative (in a long term outlook I think both are undervalued).

When I originally decided to diversify from BTC into LTC - the first alt with some traction, ASIC resistance was a big factor. As far as is known today, Both XMR and BBR PoW provide strong ASIC resistance. Anyone can mine with commodity hardware (back to 1 cpu/1 vote) more or less. The fact we have unlinkable tx, blockchain analysis resistance, relative indistinguishability and no longer have to worry about double-spends is just the icing on the cake. Can't see a reason to bother with a 'legacy' altcoin hacked together with pseudo-anonymity like DRK and so on going forward when we have unpolished diamonds right here cruising by in stealth mode.

Personally, I think It's quite rare to buy into 'altcoins' with long term plans in mind. but short-medium & long term both seem like great buys. Definitely early adopter phase still.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
June 17, 2014, 05:55:37 AM

- Great team
- Forced TX mixing
- Network Alerts

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
June 17, 2014, 05:48:46 AM
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
June 17, 2014, 05:48:14 AM
The BBR emission curve seems preferable to XMR, in terms of the buy support that would need to come in to offset newly minted coins being dumped on market

This is not a one-way street. If the emission curve is too slow, it may reduce interest in the coin, because high inflation is bad for the current holders. If few people see a point in holding, then the coin value stays low and it has a difficulty in maintaining traction.

If the curve is too steep, the inflation soon goes down, which is bad for network security and discourages the institutional investor phase as they might not find the coin legitimate enough if it is nearly fully mined when they wake up. (This is much more common than the "too slow" case, which I don't really see many examples of).

The optimum lies in between, obviously, and in my opinion MRO is pretty near optimal of the 2014 started coins.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
June 17, 2014, 05:42:42 AM
What's the sentiment on BBR here? I know many in this thread hold XMR, but unbiased opinions would be appreciated. Seems to be have been in the shadows somewhat but gaining some traction recently.
Based on supply alone (400+% less than XMR) it would seem undervalued, no? The BBR emission curve seems preferable to XMR, in terms of the buy support that would need to come in to offset newly minted coins being dumped on market

Based on the supply, yes it is under-evaluated.
Moreover, BBR has awesome dev team. Great working GUI wallet. Better optimisations (blockchain, dust TX). Different algo.
Jump to: