Pages:
Author

Topic: rpietila Altcoin Observer - page 40. (Read 387491 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
September 06, 2014, 10:06:53 AM
Hmm... that was interesting (as predicted / discussed earlier):

After careful deliberation, we have decided to not participate in the SuperNet ICO. I understand that a large community is excited about SuperNet, and since we were initially announced as the ICO host, I wanted to take a moment to explain how we came to arrive at this decision.

For the past couple of days, we’ve been in discussions with our attorneys about hosting the SuperNet ICO. As several community members pointed out in this very thread, the sale of SuperNet tokens could be interpreted as the sale of unregistered securities. Our attorneys came to the same conclusion and have since advised us against taking part in the SuperNet ICO for this reason.

Further, one of our ICO requirements is identity verification (https://www.poloniex.com/icoRequirements); this requirement exists to protect investors and to lend credibility to the ICO. Despite several attempts to convince James the importance of revealing his identity, we were ultimately unable to reach an agreement that satisfied both parties.

We needed time for due diligence, to carefully assess the legal implications of taking part in SuperNet, and also the time to set up our backend systems to support it. James was very eager to get this going, however, so he chose to go with another host before we could communicate to him our findings and final decision.

We have since communicated with James, and we wish him the best of luck.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
September 06, 2014, 10:04:22 AM
To get a sense of whether SuperNet ICO is worth investing in, I've done a cursory search on Google for some of jl777's often-mentioned assets, including

PrivateBet: https://nxtforum.org/nxtventures/privatebet-fully-decentralized-peer-to-peer-betting/
multigateway: http://multigateway.org/    https://nxtforum.org/multigateway-jl777/mgw-assets-withdrawals-history/msg97324/#msg97324
InstantDEX: http://instantdex.org/wip/

to get a sense of his past performance prior to BTCD and the value of these assets he frequently mentions.

I cant seem to find much about any of this stuff on the web, including the NXT Forum.

Basic question is: exactly what has jl777 done - as in completed - besides his masterful stoking of BTCD's massive price rise?

At the very least, the question is whether this guy is spread thin and has fully finished anything he's started -- anything that stands as a significant innovation that's widely used? Assets that have value beyond their current market prices?

This thread seems more thoughtful, informed, level-headed and analytical than most, so I ask the question here.
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
September 06, 2014, 01:05:54 AM
Anonymint is one of a kind.  In so many ways.

God bless.

Smart guy, probably could benefit from getting laid a bit more. Hope he comes back!
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
September 06, 2014, 12:53:54 AM
Anonymint is one of a kind.  In so many ways.

God bless.
Activity: 493
Merit: 500
September 06, 2014, 12:49:22 AM

keep your website up please! its an interesting perspective
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
September 05, 2014, 11:31:12 PM
Personally I love the fact that zoidberg chooses never to respond to allegations about his background in an eccentric genius sort of way, much to the chagrin of deceitful anonymous wannabe economists and PR reps of competing crypto currencies. I have also noticed that the coin mill guys never talk about BBR when they could have been easily pumping it, even if it was at their expense or only to rile and further their cause of stifling XMR.

David Latapie is not a scammer, but I wouldn't trust him with $5 or to understand bubble sort.
fluffypony sells mining rigs.
othe is a failed investor of some wannabe asic resistant coin.
eizh - he is a good guy. I will not attack him but even he knows he is a namesake and might not have known what he got into.
noodledoodle was decrippling MRO slow hash and has some knowledge of miners.
smooth - most disappointing to see how he has turned out in last 2 months. Maybe plays with some bias but I understand. Has limited knowledge of coding.

tacotime - only big exception and needs to be respected.

That team doesn't hold a candle to what zoidberg has achieved and how his work is now resonating throughout the world of crypto currencies. I don't know who he is. I don't give a flying fuck who he is.

To those cribbing about BBR, it is open source. If you are competent enough to enhance the code and submit a PR, let us see it. If zoidberg refuses to merge it despite your display of excellence, it will be time to dump BBR. Until then hug your confirmation biases real tight.

I renounce personal attacks and baseless FUD.

But you should realize that is why drawingthemoon was created... because this type of stuff was all too present in Monero's community.

Well I appreciate your position.  But whoever drawingthemoon (lewis?) is he is damaging the BBR brand and driving away people who are honestly interested in the coin.  I am not rpietilla or aminorex.  I have respect for those guys but I don't care whether or not they endorse BBR.  I have considered it to be a good sister investment and/or hedge.

Some of the CN stuff revealed by rethink-your-strategy and its possible relation to BBR (not saying anything one way or the other) shook me some, and when it began to rise in price, influenced by some of that info (read: some fear), I sold off my coins for a nice profit.  It kept going up and I made some lucky trades in and out of the swings (I'd have made 2x as much by just holding and selling around 10xxxx admittedly, but profit is profit).  Having rethought my position on the coin I have reestablished a position.  For a moment I held equal numbers of it and XMR, but the constant bickering and trolling has just put such a bad taste in my mouth that I am more comfortable with a hedge position for now (~10% of XMR holding size).  It just makes me feel like there is something dirty going on somewhere and I feel safer with XMR than BBR because of it.

That's honestly who I am, and what I have done BBR trading wise.  I am being honest and transparent.

I think drawing the moon is a fucking moron, an embarrassment to this community, and people like him posting here and in the XMR thread make BBR look bad.  I say this fully knowing one reason I feel this way is he is attacking ME PERSONALLY for some reason, and I am not even claiming XMR does not also have trolls and idiots involved in their community.

Take it for what it's worth.

I am unwatching this thread, and will resist posting here. So I guess drawinghtemoon gets his wish?  Fucking retarded cabbage of a child.  It irritates me he was successful at getting under my skin.  

I will most likely continue to hold some BBR, and I honestly with the project the best of luck.
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
September 05, 2014, 10:57:42 PM
Since you are in drawing curves, also draw one for the profitability of a normal XMR miner and a 100x XMR miner... yes, very fair and unsuspicious for everyone involved.

There was likely never a 100x advantage. The 100x was the maximum advantage dga reported from start to finish, but the public miner got faster as well over the same period of time.

Nevertheless you can actually compute the potential value of it by looking at the total number of coins produced during that period. That is a maximum, and not a very good estimate because there were certainly non-advantaged miners during that period. It still isn't much.

This is correct.  I don't think we ever had more than a 10x advantage over the public one.  Oftentimes less - it dropped within three weeks to something like 2-3x (guesstimating from memory)
Activity: 518
Merit: 521
September 05, 2014, 10:52:09 PM
This is my farewell post.

So there is some risk with an anonymous developer, that is a constant.

As a technical experiment, that's fine.  For timing speculation, okay.  In the competition for the natural monopoly of private liquidity, 0.00001% more risk on one side than on the other pre-determines the outcome.

There is never going to be one anonymous developer who can manage to develop an entire ecosystem that can rival Bitcoin. No altcoin will rise if it isn't open sourced. Other developers will join a successful launch and whether they choose to be anonymous or not is irrelevant. Being open source means that everything is transparent and if the developers aren't doing the correct developments, then the community-at-large will veto them by forking the project.

Thus your evident illogical fear of the lone savant anonymous developer who launches an altcoin that kicks Monero ass is justified. The multiple meanings of the prior sentence are all intended.

Take an example of XMR. If David Latapie, fluffypony or any of the others was exposed as a scammer, I would race to the exits, and so would everybody. Why? Because they knew I would, and wanted to exit first. The value of the coin would be destroyed.

If this would not happen with BBR, well, it talks more about the great divide concerning what kind of people invest in that vs. in Monero, and to each his own...

If you think you need to know personally the developers in order to make a decision about investment, then maybe you will not be the first to exit, but rather the last to enter.

I don't have time to go searching to quote my upthread post where I wrote that you apparently think of venture capital as a "gentleman's club". Probing personality not how I evaluate talent, design, and results, i.e. I don't need to like someone in order to respect their work.

For example, James' writing style and design appear to me to be discombobulated thus I have judged his work, not his personality.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
September 05, 2014, 09:47:20 PM
You can't claim "fuckups" or "mistakes" when this has happened in the XMR.

Of course I can.

Problems with XMR don't have any relationship to problems with DRK. Nice try though.

I fully expect others to hold us responsible for our handling of XMR. I do the same for DRK.

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
September 05, 2014, 09:30:03 PM
man ppl are really butthurt about XMR, really weird talks about how Monero "deserved" the attacks and how it got shite "coming back at it".

lmao.

next time DRK blows up into another fork I'll remember to go personally laugh at the bagholders at expense of their instamined coin.

Also remember to post that others were trying to help the BitMonero bagholders, just at the point that everyone thought the Bitmonero attack was over, when in actual fact it had just started.

The forks are ongoing. No one is laughing.

So how did the attacker know both how to exploit AND have enough firepower to submit consecutive blocks?

Must be some mighty sophisticated malicious agents.

If I'm reading tacotime's analysis correctly, it's not clear that the *attacker* would have had to solve the second block(s) after finding the first one.  To wit:

If half the network accepted the block with TX_1 and TX_2 (block A, accepted by set 1),  and the other half had accepted TX_3 and TX_4 (block B, accepted by set 2),

then couldn't the attacker simply generate the corresponding *transactions*, and let some other miner(s) generate blocks that contained them?  The fork happened as soon as the nodes in the network had accepted conflicting sets of transactions.  Block A would not be accepted by nodes in set 2, because they had a double-spend and so those nodes would keep trying to mine their own block.  Those nodes in set 2 would only include TX_3 and TX_4 in a block they tried to mine, because TX_1 and TX_2 are invalid.

Correct.

edit: Though I will note that these tx had non-standard fees of 0.000000000001, which no mining node on the network would have included using any version of the reference code, so the attacker did for some reason mine the second block on both forks (to what end I'm not sure, maybe just to impress us).

How was he able to mine the next block?

Is Smooth correct, that there is another possible and non-obvious purpose here? I don't want to start a conspiracy chain of discussion, but you have just added another dimension which, in the context of the sophistication of the attack, might suggest something else is going on?

At this point, I'm starting to wonder if you are indeed one the group that incites others to attack the Bitmonero community just to get back at a few.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
September 05, 2014, 08:59:57 PM
Who cares? There are plenty of other coins. Why pay attention to such a fuckup (i.e. either corrupt or incompetent, often impossible to tell from the outside especially when one masquerades as the other) coin anyway. The instamine was a mostly symptom, not the underlying problem.

I care. Because contrary to your statement there aren't "plenty" of other anonymous coins that satisfy proper criteria of usability, inflation/store of value, PoW, scaling etc.

As for the incompetence charges, yes, it must be through all this incompetence that DRK placed anonymity on the map (prior to DRK there was no meaningful marketcap for the anonymous market) and why after months and months of "anonymity" scams, nobody brought to the table a serious alternative except the cryptonote/bytecoin devs through the ring sigs. XMR devs are apparently "highly competent" in just ripping off the codebase of BCN including all the bugs, intentionally crippled code and booby traps Roll Eyes Awe-inspiring competence.

Anyway this conversation is highly counterproductive for the worth of my XMRs. You should realize that some of the XMR holders are into anonymity before XMR or BCN even appeared on the scene, because they actually see potential in the anonymous market in general as something that has actual value due to the inability of Bitcoin to cover this market segment. Poisoning the anonymous market by attacking everyone else for competitive reasons, will only lead to XMR getting attacked in return.

You can't claim incompetence for others without others highlighting the incompetence of XMR devs in multiple issues, or the fact that XMR in itself is just a clone that hasn't developed anything and is not the original.

You can't claim "fuckups" or "mistakes" when this has happened in the XMR.

You can't attack others (like BBR for instamining due to the GPU client) and pretend fairness when you have 100x miners on the loose for weeks.

You can't laugh about the forks of others, that happened when they tried to develop/innovate/upgrade the network functionality in new ways, and then be suddenly forked by an overflow exploit.

These stuff do tend to come and bite back.
legendary
September 05, 2014, 07:11:36 PM
Uhhh, what ?

A look at your signature shows anyone that you can't have an objective point of view.

Here is no hate of any of us, just reasonable criticism.

For every seller, there is generally a buyer. Who do you think was helping to buy those BitMonero coins that were dumped on Polo at the first opportunity?
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
September 05, 2014, 07:10:47 PM
Who cares? There are plenty of other coins. Why pay attention to such a fuckup (i.e. either corrupt or incompetent, often impossible to tell from the outside especially when one masquerades as the other) coin anyway. The instamine was a mostly symptom, not the underlying problem.

From what I've heard it was a fuckup due to incompetence/sloppiness, but that could just as well be a masquerade as you say. Half of all coins in 12 hours is just ridiculous though, practically worse than these 1 week PoW then switch to PoS coins.
legendary
Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086
September 05, 2014, 07:09:56 PM
Uhhh, what ?

A look at your signature shows anyone that you can't have an objective point of view.

Here is no hate of any of us, just reasonable criticism.
legendary
September 05, 2014, 07:05:22 PM
Disgraceful attitudes. Absolutely disgraceful.

You are purposefully seeking confrontations with such inflammatory language.  Not even interested in looking at the details. Just interested in picking sides, picking a fight and trying to inflame to further a cause.

edit

It actually wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it wasn't this sort of attitude that has brought the current attacks on BitMonero. Having seen the tussle going on between the various Cryptonote camps, it wouldn't surprise me at all.
legendary
Activity: 1473
Merit: 1086
September 05, 2014, 06:58:44 PM
Why are you defending a monster instamine like dark ?

Actually, 2.5 million coins are spread around the top 100 wallets and nearly all of them have activity within the last 4 months - DRK was launched in January.

Around another 1 million coins are held by decentralised and unknown master node operators to prove they are ready to provide a service to the network.

https://drk.mn/  or here http://drk.poolhash.org/

so 3.5 million coins of the 4.6m are spread quite well between those that purchased their coins and the remainder are spread over a 1-2 thousand wallets.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/#!rich

Quite evenly spread. Those at the top of the list can be seen purchasing coins relatively recently, or they are the exchanges.

I don't care about this. What i am trying to say is:

Darkcoin instamine is shit.
Monero enhanced private miner is shit.
BBR private early gpu miner is shit.

Out of these 3 launches i still prefer monero.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
September 05, 2014, 06:55:38 PM

Actually, 2.5 million coins are spread around the top 100 wallets and nearly all of them have activity within the last 4 months - DRK was launched in January.

Around another 1 million coins are held by master node operators to prove they are ready to provide a service to the network.

https://drk.mn/  or here http://drk.poolhash.org/

so 3.5 million coins are spread quite well between those that purchased their coins and the remainder are spread over a 1-2 thousand wallets.

Quite evenly spread. Those at the top of the list can be seen purchasing coins relatively recently, or they are the exchanges.

I also don't accept that wallets being "active" means that anything is spread well, nor that wallet balances are spread out means much of anything.

Being accused of an instamine, even if I had nothing to do with it, the first thing I would do is spread my coins around to a much larger number of wallets. This exactly thing happened in XCN (although the mining wasn't really an instamine just likely advantages). Someone was accused on it based on a huge wallet, and next thing you know the wallet starts getting broken up. (Plus someone claims to have been that guy and says "oh i just used EC2 a lot" (which I have reason to believe was not the whole story) but really it could have been anyone with a bunch of coins saying that, worried that the mining scandal would hurt the value of their own holdings.)

Moving doesn't necessarily mean sold, and who cares anyway, the instamine is a fuckup either way. With 1000+ coins to choose from, why that one?

legendary
September 05, 2014, 06:47:08 PM

Around another 1 million coins are held by ~900 to 1,000 decentralised and unknown master node operators to prove they are ready to provide a service to the network.

https://drk.mn/  or here http://drk.poolhash.org/

so 3.5 million coins of the 4.6m are spread quite well between those that purchased their coins and the remainder are spread over a 1-2 thousand wallets.

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
September 05, 2014, 06:41:27 PM
No it is still a problem when markets aren't liquid, people aren't rational, or people don't pay attention. You are assuming markets are infinitely liquid and everyone (or most) participates rationally. But if those aren't true and you end up with a bad distribution, you still have it.

As a wall observer (not owner) it has been interesting to watch XMR's consistent volume climb.  DRK's volume is much different.  
Pages:
Jump to: