Pages:
Author

Topic: Russia willing to consider loans to Greece - page 2. (Read 2123 times)

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
Pretty sweet and smooth move by Russia. After making greece financially dependent, they will hold an upper hand in their region and might take advantage of their favours provided at future. Also, Russia is one of those countries with the lowest debts I assume and maximum resources. They are pretty strong.

I think that is exactly what they are planning, holding an upper hand above Greece to make them dependent financially. Russia has a really low debt and it is very nuclear strong, they will definitely try to hold a position above Greece.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014
Now, I wonder what game the Greeks are playing. They've said many times that the Germans and especially Frau Merkel were all nazis, but they would like us to believe that Putin is Mr Nice Guy, and that he will save Greece from rapacious western bankers? I'm doubtful dealing with Putin will be any sweeter than dealing with Mme Lagarde from the IMF.

At least Putin is not trying to steal money from the Greek pensioners, when they are struggling to survive. And he is not siding with Goldman Sucks, when the bank is trying to loot the Greeks.
[/quote]

Another thing to remember. Merkel made herself very unpopular in Greece a few years ago, when she suggested that Germany will take ownership of several of the Greek islands against writing off of the debt. At least Putin is offering Greeks a way to earn money unlike Germany, who wanted to make another stab at land grab.

Greece is probably better off siding with Russia, they will get the benefit from the gas pipeline, have a market for their agricultural produce without other competing EU members due to sanctions, a weaker currency boosting tourism and exports. Staying with the Euro they will just have perpetual pain.

A gas pipeline? To what end? Greece doesn't need much of it. The customers Russians want are in the EU, with Italy first in line. I'm not sure many European leaders would be pleased to pay the Greeks to buy Russian gas, especially since that it would be a way to bypass Ukraine, giving Russia an even tighter grip on Ukrainian economy.

I agree that a cheap currency would help exports, sadly Greece doesn't export much. Anyone here likes ouzo? I don't.

That's backward logic. When Russia bypasses Ukraine, which has a track record of stealing the transit gas, Russia actually forfeits some of the control on Ukrainian economy: Ukraine no longer gets paid the transit fees. As for having a tight grip... You should expand your historical horizon. Russian/Ukrainian economies were intertwined from before the coup d'etat of 1917, when these lands were one and the same country.

You ask to what end if the pipeline? to supply Southern Europe with gas. Northern Europe gets its gas through North Stream. Central (Poland) - through Yamal pipeline. Southern Europe is at a disadvantage, having it's supply routed though a US puppet state. Russia and thous Southern countries want to have a stable supply. And Greece was an industrial country before it joined EU. Who knows, Greece may need more gas once it starts to re-industrialise. And the transit income is very much needed too. Everyone (except the USA) wins.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I thought that Russia was in financial trouble  Sad

Well... I'll give you a comparison between the United States and Russia.

Russia:
Net Debt: $243 billion
Forex Reserves: $370 billion
Surplus: $127 billion

United States:
Net Debt: $18,315 billion
Forex Reserves: $121 billion
Deficit: $18,194 billion

Now, from these stats, who seems to be in financial trouble?

Russia has a very good strategic position. This country not depend from other coutries on the world. Because of  all her wealthy depend on it. Most of her income from working with gas. Because of Russia has a money to give in loan.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
Greece is probably better off siding with Russia, they will get the benefit from the gas pipeline, have a market for their agricultural produce without other competing EU members due to sanctions, a weaker currency boosting tourism and exports. Staying with the Euro they will just have perpetual pain.

A gas pipeline? To what end? Greece doesn't need much of it. The customers Russians want are in the EU, with Italy first in line. I'm not sure many European leaders would be pleased to pay the Greeks to buy Russian gas, especially since that it would be a way to bypass Ukraine, giving Russia an even tighter grip on Ukrainian economy.

I agree that a cheap currency would help exports, sadly Greece doesn't export much. Anyone here likes ouzo? I don't.
Activity: 378
be your self

You are probably right. But Greece cannot remain with Russia for a long period. And Russia supporting Greece, will be a risk, a risk of Greece getting converted into conflict zone.
Activity: 444
Merit: 260
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
The Eurozone countries are going to help them I suppose. I read in the newspaper that Greece is on the verge of defaulting euro 1.7+ billion and have asked the Eurozone countries to help it with euros 7+ billion.

They will not get any more loans from the Eurozone, period. And if they default on their loans (which looks extremely likely right now), the troika will take retaliatory measures, such as kicking Greece out of the Euro Zone, and seizing the Greek government assets abroad. Everything is just a formality now... No one believes that Greek will make the next payment.

I suppose someone will bail them out of this. It could be US, it has to be US, as China and Russia will try seize the opportunity to get close with Greece if euro zone and america decides not to help it.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
The Eurozone countries are going to help them I suppose. I read in the newspaper that Greece is on the verge of defaulting euro 1.7+ billion and have asked the Eurozone countries to help it with euros 7+ billion.

They will not get any more loans from the Eurozone, period. And if they default on their loans (which looks extremely likely right now), the troika will take retaliatory measures, such as kicking Greece out of the Euro Zone, and seizing the Greek government assets abroad. Everything is just a formality now... No one believes that Greek will make the next payment.
Activity: 308
Invest & Earn: https://cloudthink.io
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
I am not sure, whether your figures are accurate. According to the site which you had mentioned earlier (http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org), the US GDP is $17.418 billion. The net debt is $18.319 billion, so net debt accounts for 105% of the United States GDP. And according to the same site, the Russian GDP is $2.117 billion (the Russian economy is having a significant informal sector, so the real GDP might be much higher). So the net debt accounts for 11.4% of the Russian GDP.
I think that the numbers from Wikipedia are based from a 2012 report. Actually it is, I've just verified it.Russia actually deceased the dept if the numbers are correct. It was 12.2% of the Russian GDP in 2012.

However, this link has more 'up to date' information, the numbers don't match now. I'm not sure exactly what to make of this.
Even if we take into account the worst scenario, Russia is still in a better state than the USA. That's 23% of their GDP, compared to 105% for the United Sates.
legendary
You should have expressed yourself in a different manner (i.e. the numbers). I actually thought at first that you wrote $18.315 billion and wanted to correct you. To clarify, we are talking about $18 Trillion USD debt. According to wikipedia it is 72.50% of the GDP while for Russia it is only 11.42%

I am not sure, whether your figures are accurate. According to the site which you had mentioned earlier (http://www.nationaldebtclocks.org), the US GDP is $17.418 billion. The net debt is $18.319 billion, so net debt accounts for 105% of the United States GDP. And according to the same site, the Russian GDP is $2.117 billion (the Russian economy is having a significant informal sector, so the real GDP might be much higher). So the net debt accounts for 11.4% of the Russian GDP.
Activity: 252
well the problem its if its left wing connected to a bit of terror and the part of greece democracy must be implied to remove both liders of this regimes to another will of people in those countries for the all europe to provide the correct ideology distorced by this to nervouse irregular rich guys
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Russia:

United States:

You should have expressed yourself in a different manner (i.e. the numbers). I actually thought at first that you wrote $18.315 billion and wanted to correct you. To clarify, we are talking about $18 Trillion USD debt. According to wikipedia it is 72.50% of the GDP while for Russia it is only 11.42%

Wow. The US net debt is a really huge number. How on earth did it get up to that?
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

From what I understand they plan to do a gas deal with them in addition to their help.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
Wow. The US net debt is a really huge number. How on earth did it get up to that?

They need money to invade sovereign nations such as Libya, Serbia and Iraq, right? Also they are spending almost $1 trillion a year to maintain their war machine. That said, most of the federal debt was amassed after Barack Obama became the POTUS. And if Hillary becomes the next POTUS in 2016, it can rise to new peaks.

Financing war is only part of the budget. There's also medical insurance, but since the average American is more than 10 times richer than the average Russian, bankers will always have more trust in US than Russia. US government can borrow money at less cost than the Russian one, and this isn't going to change in the foreseeable future.
legendary

They need money to invade sovereign nations such as Libya, Serbia and Iraq, right? Also they are spending almost $1 trillion a year to maintain their war machine. That said, most of the federal debt was amassed after Barack Obama became the POTUS. And if Hillary becomes the next POTUS in 2016, it can rise to new peaks.

Activity: 266
Activity: 337
HTML5/Node.js/PHP developer
Greece has a collateral ? Tongue
Activity: 266
i think these debts are on papers only and never gonna get clear Wink
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
hyperboria - next internet
I thought that Russia was in financial trouble  Sad

Well... I'll give you a comparison between the United States and Russia.

Russia:

United States:

Well, Russian Federation is now in economic decline. Not America. Those debts are just a numbers. America have control of its money which is world reserve currency. American dollar yeah! )))

legendary
You should relate debt and deficit to gross domestic product, and income per inhabitant...

The net debt in the United States is around 120% of the GDP. On the other hand, the Russian net debt is just 7% of the national GDP.

Now, I wonder what game the Greeks are playing. They've said many times that the Germans and especially Frau Merkel were all nazis, but they would like us to believe that Putin is Mr Nice Guy, and that he will save Greece from rapacious western bankers? I'm doubtful dealing with Putin will be any sweeter than dealing with Mme Lagarde from the IMF.

At least Putin is not trying to steal money from the Greek pensioners, when they are struggling to survive. And he is not siding with Goldman Sucks, when the bank is trying to loot the Greeks.
Pages:
Jump to: