Pages:
Author

Topic: S17E / T17+ / T17 custom firmware - Free Download - page 3. (Read 1506 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
Won't it be better to test lower values since it's pretty hot there? Anway I would recommend that thierry4d tries to implement an auto-downclock function for when a miner gets pretty hot (temps should be pre-set by the user), and vice-versa for when it's too cool, these should be optional features and not set by default.

I would also suggest you stick to 100% fans, these gears break easily as you are probably aware of by now, so you want them to run as cool as possible, and according to my experience, 25% which is about 1500 RPMs across all 4 fans makes the miner run a lot cooler.
legendary
Activity: 4032
Merit: 7391
'The right to privacy matters'
on the storm end we are fully back to normal. i packed the generators into storage. cleaned the brush and branches and can move on to helping wife recover from last winters (covid-19?) damage.

we are now making appointments to a ear nose throat doctor 👩‍⚕️ to address her 7.5 month long post nasal drip. which has hindered full lung recovery from what ever she had back in jan 2020.

i have been pretty much overwhelmed this year.

personal health
wifes health
covid-19 shutdowns = this affects all of us
george floyd = black lives matter protesters this affect some of us.
large tropcial storm= mostly north eastern usa.

been quite an interesting year.

new info 08/11/2020

So it got smoking hot again and results were the old original bitmain firmware crashed

so for a hot spot the t17e is a real saver.

the settings of 1690mv and 85% fan save power and prevent over heating of t17e gear.

hashrate just about the same. but do favor the new mod.
errors just about the same.     but do favor the new mod.
rejects just about the same.    but do favor the new mod.

this mod allows fan settings of 85, 90, 100%.  There are more choices I only tested three of them listed.
this mod allows volt settings of 1680mv,1690mv. There are more choices I only tested 2 of them.

It looks like NJ is over the storm damage from last week. I will contact thierry4wd about freq settings

thierry4d asked me to test 1695mv and 75% fan.

I will get back later.
legendary
Did thierry4wd make any adjustments after the initial installation?

The custom firmware without a doubt will consume slightly less voltage than the stock, also the rejected shares and hardware errors look a lot better on the custom, I guess in the long test the new one will report a slightly higher hashrate on the pool side a well.

Sorry to hear that things are not going fine in the U.S, are things back to normal yet?
legendary
please forgive me for delays on reporting this.

But we lost
power
internet
cable and cell phones.  I simply have not had the time to drive up to clifton and measure power.

BTW I can set fans to 85% fan setting works along with volt setting.

I think sometime this coming week I will get back up to Clifton and measure watts.
I can certainly  work with this on overheating gear.

Don't use the numbers yet as I have not had a 24 hour test.  As clifton has had 2 separate crashes due to the power grid.

Curren settings are

1690mv
85% fan speed

oem settings are

1730mv
100% fan speed

I am hoping to show a 36 hour result  on sunday

here is a longer test.

I am going to load full size and leave links to see them.

what is interesting is the old firmware got a bit hot and did auto down clock to not overheat. So the freq is lower for the old firmware.

the new firmware stayed solid at higher clocks and simply runs fine with out a throttle effect.

https://i.imgur.com/IxXQfTD.png

https://i.imgur.com/1ywg6F0.png

new screen shot link

the new firm ware/software tweak

has 100% victory in all categories

new------------old

hashrate.  53.46th _____ 53.35th.  at the pool where it counts
HW errors.  562 _______ 1469
HW %.     0.0000 ______ 0.0001
Fan.          6000 _______ 5040
temp.       73.33 _______ 75.66.  note: I used average of 3 temp chip

rejected.    9 __________ 91      note : did not fit on the screen shot

So new set to
1690mv 85% fan
old set to
1730mv 100% fan

new wins in every way

Today. it will get hot I will post again

I suspect fans on new will pick up to 100%

and freq will not down clock to keep gear cool

the old freq will down clock to keep gear cool

so new will have another win.

the only thing now test is exact power used. I think I will go to Clifton to check that next Saturday.
legendary
Ok so the custom firmware with the current settings is about 4TH less than Bitmain's stock firmware and up to 9 degrees cooler on some chips and average is about 4-5 degrees cooler on the custom firmware, now assuming these run in the same environment this isn't bad at all, what matters more, however, is the efficiency, what is the power consumption per TH on both firmware?
legendary
power is back

So if you click the image you will see the power cut to 1680mv lowers hash rate a bit and lowers temps a bit.
errors are close to equal .

fans were set to 90%  volts set to  1680mv.

fans in new test will be 80% volts set to 1690mv.
Activity: 416
Merit: 125
I have no internet just cell phone here in howell. Farn in clifton has been powered down due to tropical storm

Hoping things go back to normal in a day.
We got cell service back.

I have a generator and power in howell. Nj  but no cable so just the phones.

Update I have no power.
No cable.
No internet. Using a smallest generator . So I can keep fridge and a few phones working.
The far. Is back up but I do not have team viewer access .  Nj Gov says most power to be restored by friday.
Activity: 446
Merit: 347
Hi, thanks for your review Philipma Smiley

But, litle problem, i have take voltage control with sucess, ok, but the firmware want monitoring hashrate, is hashrate is under 90% than target, this firmware want set more power (voltage), but the problem, is rebooting all hashboard (no rebooting miner), and my mod RE set custom voltage, is possible for you to confirm this on your kernel log Wink , is the reason why you have "drop" hash on your average, and rejected share (rejected at restart hashboard) ...

1680mv is high downvoltage ... for resolve this problem, i want you set more, for exemple, 1690mv, if your hashrate, after arround 10min, is under target (on kernel log), please set more, and so on.

By this methode, you avoid the restart all hashboard, the firmware don't want rebooting, give more average (rebooting fact drop average), and lower rejected .

while waiting for my new version for by pass this, and make FULL fixed mod Wink
legendary
Okay here is what I did I made a new account on viabtc

the miners.

new t17e

old t17e

just did it it will show results of the two miners at the pool
These are on our optimum backup/isolation/testing router
200mbs service
cisco 1gig switch

I will post back daily this is 2 mods on new

1680mv
90% fan on new

1760mv
100% fan on old

this is early so ignore hash difference

this is early hw errors are zero
rejects are off 7 to 1. will need to keep an eye on this
note fan speed is lower.

legendary
Glad this worked on your T17e just like it did on favebook's S17e, the results so far are based on a short period of time, i would love to see overnight temps,hashrate and pool results.
legendary
yeah i left my two t17e units on the small network. one is flashed one is not.

I will let him play with the two for the time it takes.

i am are not sure how many units are out there in the network.

we should know more by next week end. if he can get the t17e to work.

bump and a delete

here is  update we will be testing this again very soon maybe in 1 hour

after testing we have achieved

a partial success . the voltage is unlocked.

we lowered voltage to 1680mv temps are better.

Needs to run overnight, but it was doing around 1750 to 1800mv  on older bitmain firmware and ran hot now does 1680 mv.

We will work on frequency control tomorrow

here is the stock miner note voltage 1760mv

so 80mv volt savings

legendary
Anywhere between 50$ and 100$ is reasonable imo. If I was a developer, I'd give firmware for less than 40$ only if buyer has multiple machines (5+/10+) but that is if we are talking licence based firmware. As I am not sure how OP will sell this firmware, I cannot really give a good price; will it be fee based; will it be unlimited where you can sell/share it or will it be per miner/per farm?

Agreed, this price range looks reasonable at least to the buyer side, we don't know how much work thierry4wd has put into this but we know there aren't many people who own these S17e/T17e gears, so chances are he isn't going to sell many copies, but it's a good start since he has been working on these firmware for years now and hasn't made a penny, this is a good chance for him to be evaluated and get enough reviews so that people will trust his work in the future.
Activity: 604
Merit: 416
You can see my full review here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54891215.

Since the thread with my review is locked and I can no longer post or edit there, here are some new pictures (miner status, updated configuration page and some random snapshots of slushpool's worker page) after miner working for almost 48h:

legendary
we will work more with the t17e

I have come up with an idea that helps everyone here it is

@ biffa a lot is not known about aftermarket firmware

I did see a clear cut piece of evidence that shows at least one block hit with braiins. Plus braiins has some permission to run its firmware as i understand it.

While I have encourage aftermarket firmware development I have been particular about what I use for my 1.7 ph of gear.

I use all bitmain and a tiny bit of braiins.

While I would like to strike a deal about using t17 s17 and all the letters that go with that  I have not.

If and when I acquire working aftermarket gear for the above it will mine directly to a solo pool

with the address published and no funds to be taken in and out of it if it indeed hits a block.

I only have access to one solo pool  that is solo.ckpool

My hope would be to use 2 t17e miners with 1 pointed to solo.ckpool and one pointed to solo.kano.is pool

If they hit a block I would give ⅓ to kano ⅓ to ck and ⅓ to me.

I really want the war to end { no sarcasm} so  I am working with thierry4wd

https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/thierry4wd-1656984

I can't think of a better idea than this .

But if it were to  work and mine to the two solo pools that would be good.
if it were to hit a block that would be better.

risk to ck = zero
risk to kano = zero

risk to me I lose 115th of mining earnings for months to come.

benefits to ck ⅓ of a block possible.
benefits to kano ⅓ of a block possible
benefits to me ⅓ of a block possible oh  I look like someone trying to help everybody
benefits to thierry4wd proof his firmware works and can hit blocks

benefits to mining community working software/firmware that helps with bitmain 17 gear.

So if we get the 2 t17e's running I will do like the idea above. Fingers crossed that we get it worked out.
Anywhere between 50$ and 100$ is reasonable imo. If I was a developer, I'd give firmware for less than 40$ only if buyer has multiple machines (5+/10+) but that is if we are talking licence based firmware. As I am not sure how OP will sell this firmware, I cannot really give a good price; will it be fee based; will it be unlimited where you can sell/share it or will it be per miner/per farm?
legendary
Big oooof, 500$ might be a over the top, maybe it's good if you want to sell it to resellers, but it's bad for small miners like me or someone who has only a few of S17e (which can be bought for roughly 900$ nowadays so you get my point).

If it were my firmware I would probably price it at 3% of 1 year of mining, this is based on the fact that 3% is about the average fees for custom firmware, and that 1 years is the average lifetime for these lousy gears.

As of today the S17e makes about $6.48 a day, or $195 a month so that's 0.016 BTC / month so that will be 0.192BTC a year and 3% of that is 0.00576BTC or $68, can be rounded to 70$ per miner.

The price is good for the buyer if their gear manges to stay alive and protifble after 12 months, bad if it fails to reach the 12 months point, it's good for the buyer if the price of bitcoin goes up and vice versa, so it's a sort of a risk to both the buyer/seller but I believe it's reasonable on average.

I could probably come up with some good arguments on why it should be cheaper and at the same time there are plenty of arguments on why it should be more expensive, but overall I believe this is a fair price.
legendary
we did some work today. we tried getting a t17e to work.

Still needs work.

I used discord and teamviewer.

the farm has a test network of four or five units

on a verizon network. does not work.

for security the main farm is on a second network. serviced by a different modem.

i do this with  all new gear.

we will do a new test later on.

@ thierry4wd  i will leave the firmware on it.

let me know when you want access via teamviewer.
AFAIK when I was talking with him about it earlier he though $500 for unlimited use was a rough figure.

Again, no idea how he would enforce that without miners calling home, not sure how the others do it, cant think that they would have the resources for that much of a foolproof DRM process, which is probably why they have the self-mining to get their fee.

Big oooof, 500$ might be a over the top, maybe it's good if you want to sell it to resellers, but it's bad for small miners like me or someone who has only a few of S17e (which can be bought for roughly 900$ nowadays so you get my point).

Chipless has made some kind of licence based firmware where you need to type in correct licence in miner configuration so the miner can start working (not really sure if they are calling home or he has implemented a list of 1000x licences or more in every firmware and you just need to guess one or he gives it to you, but since it's rather a lot of characters, it will probably be impossible to guess). It's per miner so you cannot share it or if you do, you might be screwed. Similar thing could be done here.

thierry4wd could ask chipless for assistance but not sure if he will help.

Fantastic work I know a lot of miners will be very happy to see this keep up the great work!

Tried to find you on Discord but was unable to find you what is your channel invite link?

Not sure he has a channel yet, we used discord and discussed everything via PMs, just add djay#4807 as friend and pm him.
Activity: 1187
Merit: 568
OGRaccoon
Fantastic work I know a lot of miners will be very happy to see this keep up the great work!

Tried to find you on Discord but was unable to find you what is your channel invite link?
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
AFAIK when I was talking with him about it earlier he though $500 for unlimited use was a rough figure.

Again, no idea how he would enforce that without miners calling home, not sure how the others do it, cant think that they would have the resources for that much of a foolproof DRM process, which is probably why they have the self-mining to get their fee.
Pages:
Jump to: