Pages:
Author

Topic: S7? LOL - page 2. (Read 3367 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
February 10, 2016, 11:44:26 PM
*shortned again way to long of set of quotes

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

Huhh, so i would push them hard actually and they would crash. No damage done, lower clock by 5mhz step until it stop crashing. I keep them at 65-75C, i never had a problem. Sound to me like the GPU's VRM must of overheated. Happens if the heatsink doesnt cool them down.

It was not overheat trust me.  I remember one GPU as soon as I set it up on intensity to high... instant smoke out of cap on it.   I kept them all cool so was not a issue there, but I pushed them hard.

It was directly related to intensity of GPU settings.   They might have made it harder to do now I have not kept up with mining with GPU software, I'm would guess it has changed some in past few years.  I had all the proper risers to get more space and spread them out, there was great cooling.  So no issues on heat did not cheap out when making the rigs back then.
legendary
February 10, 2016, 11:40:20 PM
*shortned it was way to long of quote series

How is that different from mining with ASICS? Most people rely on resell value to get some sort of ROI.

That's why many people hate Bitmain for halving the price of the S7 and killing the resell value.

GPU/Asics are like apples and oranges.   You could bot on GPU's and count on getting 3/4 to full on some selling on seconday market to gamers or other GPU miners (this was a while ago I have not GPU mined in years).   But it was always very high on sell back.  And ROI time was around 90 day's which was pretty amazing.

Now asics.... they do not ROI anymore near 90 day's.  But beside that they never really did hold value like GPU as there is not that other market for them.  Go all the way back to asicminer block erupters... you sold less then you bought for.   So asics never sold for full on resell value you go into it knowing that.  
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
CoinPoker.com
February 10, 2016, 11:35:11 PM
I understand what you want to say, but your comparison is not entirely right.
First, you compare used card with new miner. Prices for such used cards are mostly higher.
And Antminers are usually rock stabil - this is not possible to say for GPU mining (I had in the past various 200 GPUs).
I had a lot of defective cards, very often I had switch on/off my GPU rigs.
Also GPU rigs are not so compact as Asic miners.

Wat. S7 used or new is same price, we can take a Used S7 priced at 800$ too if you want. And i dont know what you're doing to your GPUs but i got 0 failure in years. We can also take the price of a brand new 280x if you want, which is only 40$ more. The math is roughly the same.

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

I wonder what GPUs those are. That is an INSANE amount of failure.
It is not insane amount, it is common, when running 24h 1 year with a little overclocking in the room with high temp

mostly it was: MSI R9 270X, MSI R9 280X, Sapphire R9 290X (but also some trouble with Gigabyte R9 280X, Asus R9 280X)

But fortunately, most of them were in warranty.

I've had all of mine running 24h for 2 years now and i never had a failure, just annoying fans. 40 failures out of 200 is insane. I'm not sure what temps you were running them at though.

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

How is that different from mining with ASICS? Most people rely on resell value to get some sort of ROI.

That's why many people hate Bitmain for halving the price of the S7 and killing the resell value.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
February 10, 2016, 11:04:13 PM
First, you compare used card with new miner. Prices for such used cards are mostly higher.
And Antminers are usually rock stabil - this is not possible to say for GPU mining (I had in the past various 200 GPUs).

Wat. S7 used or new is same price, we can take a Used S7 priced at 800$ too if you want. And i dont know what you're doing to your GPUs but i got 0 failure in years. We can also take the price of a brand new 280x if you want, which is only 40$ more. The math is roughly the same.

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

It is not insane amount, it is common, when running 24h 1 year with a little overclocking in the room with high temp

mostly it was: MSI R9 270X, MSI R9 280X, Sapphire R9 290X (but also some trouble with Gigabyte R9 280X, Asus R9 280X)

I've had all of mine running 24h for 2 years now and i never had a failure, just annoying fans. 40 failures out of 200 is insane. I'm not sure what temps you were running them at though.

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.

Huhh, so i would push them hard actually and they would crash. No damage done, lower clock by 5mhz step until it stop crashing. I keep them at 65-75C, i never had a problem. Sound to me like the GPU's VRM must of overheated. Happens if the heatsink doesnt cool them down.
legendary
February 10, 2016, 10:18:59 PM

Aprox 20% of my 200GPUs within one year  had some problems/defects. With Asic miners this number is much much less.

You are not pushing hard then.   I go back to GPU day's and I would push mine hard as GPU companies had amazing RMA policy's  back then.  I was about making as much as possible, and granted a few times I pushed to far... puff of smoke.  But overall I gained more doing this as I was pushing all my rigs.

The thing today about GPU's is you just don't make enough off of them to ROI.  You are going to have to sell to get money back. You might make a small profit but you will not make ROI these day's GPU mining.
legendary
CoinPoker.com
February 10, 2016, 08:30:10 PM
Maybe if you were mining SHA256/Scrypt then the failures rates were high because you were stressing the GPU to the max. Most new algos now like X11 or ETH don't stress the card as much.

Plus a GPU is much more reliable then an S7 which apparently has more failures rates.
legendary
February 10, 2016, 08:11:34 PM

Activity: 326
Merit: 250
February 10, 2016, 07:17:46 PM

legendary
February 10, 2016, 05:48:56 PM

Activity: 326
Merit: 250
February 10, 2016, 04:33:06 PM

legendary
Merit: 3848
February 10, 2016, 04:27:49 PM
Can those amd r9 gpu's be running without a computer within it?
Is only this thing needed to mine cryptocurrency, or also other things get involved?

Its needs to be inside a motherboard whic his basically a computer. You can mine any type of coin with GPUs, even Bitcoin.
I heard that if u use gpu's to mine coins, that after a few years they will be dead because it ran too long on max power.
So it basically dies, is that treu or just a story?

I run as many as 24 gpu's back in the day.  if you underclock  and undervolt  they will last.but eth may not last as most alt coins do not last

So you are saying that gpu mining is only for ethereum, please tell me why.
I don't get it, why it is better for eth then for bitcoin? What is actually the difference?
Algorithms and asics, so think of it like this a Bitcoin pays for doing Math type A (we will pretend it is division) and Ethereum does Math type B (we will pretend multiplication).
A GPU can do all types of algorithms, So lets say it can solve 15 million division problems a second or 3 million multiplication problems a second. That's fine and dandy, but then comes out machines that ONLY do division and that is it.

They run the same wattage as a gpu but do 300 billion division problems a second and the difficulty of having the winning answer in time with gpu is lowered. Now it is so much lowered it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE but the amount of electricity to run that graphics card is not changing.

Now Ethereum is running the different algorithm (so again pretend multiplication) while there are no machines made to do ONLY (yet) multiplication the graphic card is the only way to do it and mine ethereum. The division machines can not do multiplication and never will.

Understand?

Nutshell version:
GPU does everything, but its extremely slow compared to circuit and processors solely designed to hash a specific instruction over and over. There are no ASIC for Ethereum's algo, therefore GPU is very profitable for it.

i wish that was the case with btc, as we are wasting a lot of computations on a very few transactions.
basically, ~5th/sXday/transaction or one S7 running the whole day to do ONE transaction.
legendary
February 10, 2016, 04:12:28 PM
Is only this thing needed to mine cryptocurrency, or also other things get involved?

Its needs to be inside a motherboard whic his basically a computer. You can mine any type of coin with GPUs, even Bitcoin.
I heard that if u use gpu's to mine coins, that after a few years they will be dead because it ran too long on max power.

I run as many as 24 gpu's back in the day.  if you underclock  and undervolt  they will last.but eth may not last as most alt coins do not last

I don't get it, why it is better for eth then for bitcoin? What is actually the difference?
Algorithms and asics, so think of it like this a Bitcoin pays for doing Math type A (we will pretend it is division) and Ethereum does Math type B (we will pretend multiplication).
A GPU can do all types of algorithms, So lets say it can solve 15 million division problems a second or 3 million multiplication problems a second. That's fine and dandy, but then comes out machines that ONLY do division and that is it.

They run the same wattage as a gpu but do 300 billion division problems a second and the difficulty of having the winning answer in time with gpu is lowered. Now it is so much lowered it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE but the amount of electricity to run that graphics card is not changing.

Now Ethereum is running the different algorithm (so again pretend multiplication) while there are no machines made to do ONLY (yet) multiplication the graphic card is the only way to do it and mine ethereum. The division machines can not do multiplication and never will.

Understand?

Nutshell version:
GPU does everything, but its extremely slow compared to circuit and processors solely designed to hash a specific instruction over and over. There are no ASIC for Ethereum's algo, therefore GPU is very profitable for it.
Activity: 254
Merit: 1258
February 10, 2016, 04:02:56 PM

I run as many as 24 gpu's back in the day.  if you underclock  and undervolt  they will last.but eth may not last as most alt coins do not last

Understand?
legendary
CoinPoker.com
February 10, 2016, 03:59:00 PM

Because you cant mine ETH with an Antminer only with GPUs.

ETHEREUM has the #2 market cap to BTC right now, its more valuable then LTC. But altcoins aren't always as stable as BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1017
February 10, 2016, 03:20:49 PM

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
February 10, 2016, 03:16:16 PM

Activity: 616
Merit: 503
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
February 10, 2016, 03:10:23 PM

From what I read, the problem is not the moderate heat (like 80°C) but the temperature changes dilating and reducing the chip which physically breaks the chip.
Supercalculators run at 100% for months/years and they don't break.
legendary
February 10, 2016, 03:01:20 PM

legendary
CoinPoker.com
February 10, 2016, 02:59:34 PM

legendary
February 10, 2016, 02:56:27 PM
Pages:
Jump to: