Pages:
Author

Topic: San Francisco Metro System Hacked with Ransomware [Paid $70,000 in Bitcoin] - page 4. (Read 3026 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
Recently the San Francisco Metro System got Hacked with Ransomware resulting in free rides.

It is yet not clear exactly who was responsible for the attack (besides a pseudonym "Andy Saolis"), but according to local media reports, the agency's computers were being held by ransomware until the MUNI paid the equivalent of more than $73,000 in Bitcoin.

What do you think guys?
Isn't it bad for the bitcoin to be known as a bad thing in our lives?
*If it was posted before move to the correct board.

Those who make such malicious programs targeted large systems like SF Metro System,it is much easier to get ransom from them but from small users.Some wonder why they paid and answer is simple.,They need files back and they did not have a backup,which would save them from paying ransom.

Some older versions of ransomware can be decrypted,but for new version only help is to have backup or to pay.

It is bad for BTC when such news go in public,but there is nothing we can do right now.People should keep an eye on what they click and make regular backup of important files.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1000
I'm actually kind of surprised that they managed to get a ransomware virus into the SF metro system without it being some kind of inside job. I could be wrong, but it seems kind of weird that such a system would be exposed like that.

It was probably in their best interest to pay the ransom and get their data back, but they should spend some time and figure out what went wrong first.

It is supposed that someone inside has downloaded something or have clicked on an executable program from emails.
I think that the lesson has been learned so they can see what was wrong and prevent this in the future.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
I'm actually kind of surprised that they managed to get a ransomware virus into the SF metro system without it being some kind of inside job. I could be wrong, but it seems kind of weird that such a system would be exposed like that.

It was probably in their best interest to pay the ransom and get their data back, but they should spend some time and figure out what went wrong first.
legendary
Why would you pay the $70,000? Morons, what if they are lying and you are still hacked after paying?
I haven't paid but the San Francisco Metro System institution paid because there was no other way to fix what happened.
Work or not you have to pay if you want to get back the files.

hmm funny i always though US laws didn't allow them to pay any kind of ransom to hackers!

besides didn't they already break some of the code that ransomeware uses, i remember reading on reddit that it is possible to decrypt those files, maybe it was a certain type of ransomeware.

There are some places like nomoreransom.org/crypto-sheriff.php and noransom.kaspersky.com
But maybe this ransomware was a new one or more complicated, I haven't heard about that law you are talking about.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 655
Why would you pay the $70,000? Morons, what if they are lying and you are still hacked after paying?
I haven't paid but the San Francisco Metro System institution paid because there was no other way to fix what happened.

hmm funny i always though US laws didn't allow them to pay any kind of ransom to hackers!

besides didn't they already break some of the code that ransomeware uses, i remember reading on reddit that it is possible to decrypt those files, maybe it was a certain type of ransomeware.
legendary
It's funny that it's hackers who are forcing mainstream to adopt crypto at virtual gunpoint.
But in this way it is not good.

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.

Ransomware make it usually pretty obvious that the system is compromised. Like with encrypting all the data and showing you a big flashy prompt that you need to pay XY BTC to get the decryption key.
Activity: 910
Merit: 500
If this is true then this is really bad for bitcoin users, but it would only be fatal users from san francisco. Well, this would only happen if the government would act. Unless this is a dumbass for them to consider this as a waste of time then probably nothing would really happen to bitcoin users from san fran.
legendary
Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
Activity: 314
Merit: 251
It's funny that it's hackers who are forcing mainstream to adopt crypto at virtual gunpoint.

legendary
To prevent any further ransomware I would highly suggest to use RansomFree here https://ransomfree.cybereason.com/
There is a demo how it works and it is the best app i ever seen to protect our selfs and here is the demo to see how it works  https://ransomfree.cybereason.com/demo/

Recently the San Francisco Metro System got Hacked with Ransomware resulting in free rides.

It is yet not clear exactly who was responsible for the attack (besides a pseudonym "Andy Saolis"), but according to local media reports, the agency's computers were being held by ransomware until the MUNI paid the equivalent of more than $73,000 in Bitcoin.

What do you think guys?
Isn't it bad for the bitcoin to be known as a bad thing in our lives?
*If it was posted before move to the correct board.
Pages:
Jump to: