Pages:
Author

Topic: scrypt is "memory intensive" therefore no ASICs, but how? - page 2. (Read 6390 times)

Activity: 546
Merit: 500
These are very difficult questions to answer. Scrypt is not just a "simple" algorithm that is the same everywhere like SHA-256. It has values that can be changed, and those values can have significant effects on the viability of something like an ASIC. It is also hard to predict how this viability might change over time.

For example, LTC used figures that mistakenly were thought to be GPU-resistant, but they were not. The same could happen regarding ASICs without a deep amount of research. And it could still be wrong.

right

this doesnt help me, can you go into more detail about the values and their significant effects?

I understand this is a very new algorithm, but white papers are a little over my head on these things. who can tell me about it in depth (but the formulas using differential equations will need some adequate explaining)
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
These are very difficult questions to answer. Scrypt is not just a "simple" algorithm that is the same everywhere like SHA-256. It has values that can be changed, and those values can have significant effects on the viability of something like an ASIC. It is also hard to predict how this viability might change over time.

For example, LTC used figures that mistakenly were thought to be GPU-resistant, but they were not. The same could happen regarding ASICs without a deep amount of research. And it could still be wrong.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
hello, so at this point everyone can repeat that scrypt is "memory intensive" and therefore no ASICs can be produced for that algorithm because it would cost too much

now that we have established that copypasta, lets talk details:

what kind of RAM and how much would it cost

what are the technical requirements for a theoretical system to be specifically good at hashing with the scrypt algorithm

for benchmarking purposes, 1000 times better at hashing with the scrypt algorithm, since scrypt is supposed to be 1000 more difficult than the SHA-256 standalone algorithm
Pages:
Jump to: