Pages:
Author

Topic: Scrypt mining is dead - a real thread discussing what the title says - page 2. (Read 3596 times)

legendary
Activity: 1884
Merit: 1005
Take a look at Feathercoin. They are looking for a solution to this new arriving Asics.

https://forum.feathercoin.com/index.php?/topic/6626-changing-the-hashing-algorithm/

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
Amateur hour is over boys. Buck up or get off the horse!   Cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8HzyMiLd0 My rig...Been running for over 2 weeks now.

I upgraded from my 8 r9 280x's 5.5mh to 30-32MH with the addition of 80 gridseeds.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1014
ex uno plures
So much irrational panic about ASICS these days …

In a very short time, they will be the price of GPUs (or less) and everybody will have a lots of them in their basement/garage happily mining scrypt coins and securing the block chains.

Use of malicious negative feedback to suppress free speech brings discredit on the bitcoin community
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Even with ASIC, the mining mode will be discarded by the users.
Look at the coinmarketcap, a lot of Scrypt coins with GH/s hashpower and tens BTC IPO have only the similar value as those free distributed coins, such as C2 and Faircoin.

I can't see that situation lasting long. Faircoin was recently 51% attacked, forked, and then dumped on next-e and poloniex. It's changing to POS to prevent it happening again. C2 is likely next.

I thought faircoin was PoS in the first place? Evidently though PoS is not as secure as advertised?

Maybe because they forgot to have the first X number of blocks not require aged coins in order to start PoS mining or something?

-MarkM-

I'm not sure of the details. I just assumed that POS hadn't kicked in yet. There was some funny business with the distribution where the dev claimed to have lost half of the premine. Nxt-e claim the dev performed the attack and have refused to reimburse customers. I guess it's possible the dev performed some kind of POS 51% attack. Again, this is total speculation, I have no idea what really happened and I don't have the time to read through the whole faircoin thread to check details about the coin.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
The kids who operated their toy mining operations too ineffectively to be able to afford ASICs will try to make more and more toy coins to play with, but there is no good reason for serious money to buy such toy garbage
This.

I've been saying over and over that the vast majority of altcoins are just toys for whiny kids who wanted to "play miner" and couldn't do it any more with their dad's PC.
This, and scammers.
The sooner they start crumbling, the better.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
Look at the coinmarketcap, a lot of Scrypt coins with GH/s hashpower and tens BTC IPO have only the similar value as those free distributed coins, such as C2 and Faircoin.

I can't see that situation lasting long. Faircoin was recently 51% attacked, forked, and then dumped on next-e and poloniex. It's changing to POS to prevent it happening again. C2 is likely next.

I thought faircoin was PoS in the first place? Evidently though PoS is not as secure as advertised?

Maybe because they forgot to have the first X number of blocks not require aged coins in order to start PoS mining or something?

-MarkM-
legendary
A litecoin fork is proposing to turn X11. Provided enough separation is kept between the real network and the X11 fork network, people could spend their litecoin on the X11 network to buy real litecoins, they'd love that.

After the snapshot of the blackchain is taken, move all your coins to new addresses on the real network, so that only the X11 network will let you spend them. Then use them to buy real litecoins if the X11 fork ever actually gets on an exchange or you can find a sucker willing to trade.

-MarkM-
Activity: 140

legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
Scrypt is such a fragmented space that it is a disaster zone, even ASICs likely cannot save it unless the vast majority of scrypt miners merged mine the same collection of merged mined scrypt coins, and how likely is that?

Will scrypt and DOGE, or even either one of them, implement the ability to be secondary chain in a merge?

-MarkM-

If LTC and DOGE did this then i think it would be very beneficial to both of those coins.

Although wait i see already LTC is turning x11 now Smiley
legendary
Scrypt is such a fragmented space that it is a disaster zone, even ASICs likely cannot save it unless the vast majority of scrypt miners merged mine the same collection of merged mined scrypt coins, and how likely is that?

Will scrypt and DOGE, or even either one of them, implement the ability to be secondary chain in a merge?

-MarkM-
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Activity: 210
I expect some coins wil change algorithm. Although d first people to use those asic scrypt miners would profit greatly
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
Its coming but i suspect as the GPU's become useless, they will switch to more ASIC resistant coins and start pumping those
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
AMD can potentially build their own asic for each scrypt algo, and take on the chain with a 51% attack in no time, if they really want lol
lol google/yahoo/avatar movie sever farm going down in a day just to mine, just imagine

lol yeah forgot about google power, even btc would be screwed if they build an asic farm for it
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
There is always a coin for GPU miners.
Activity: 154
i think amd will release a beast of a gpu at somepoint, they wont settle for massive profit loss's due to asic
How much profit can amd gain just by making a card built for mining?

they wont build a card just for mining, they will probley just implement somthing into their cards at a guess
Activity: 266
AMD can potentially build their own asic for each scrypt algo, and take on the chain with a 51% attack in no time, if they really want lol
lol google/yahoo/avatar movie sever farm going down in a day just to mine, just imagine
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
Activity: 266
i think amd will release a beast of a gpu at somepoint, they wont settle for massive profit loss's due to asic
How much profit can amd gain just by making a card built for mining?
Activity: 154
Pages:
Jump to: