Pages:
Author

Topic: Scrypt mining is dead - a real thread discussing what the title says - page 3. (Read 3596 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
‘Try to be nice’
There will definitely be downward pressure on GPU prices.

I agree cPoW will take over long term as I predicted,  but I think Scrypt will still be relevant.

Especially if economics of competition and scale drive the "grid seed" type miners way down, (20 30 $) similar to the BE.

This will allow for the market to still churn out some Scrypt junk , and the spammers that are pathetically trying to " inflate" crypto to death will have to move to cPoW.

So basically everything is as it should be.
Activity: 45
Merit: 0
Sweet, with Litecoin out of the way hopefully AMD GPUs will be cheaper thanks to the significantly lowered demand (if anything supply may overshoot demand because of this). Nice time for me to pickup a high graphics card then.

Anyways, on topic, I'm highly doubtful of anyone making a significant profit from mining given the power consumption and the capital necessary to start mining at this point. Not to mention all the delays with preorders and such.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
The kids who operated their toy mining operations too ineffectively to be able to afford ASICs will try to make more and more toy coins to play with, but there is no good reason for serious money to buy such toy garbage, rather the serious investors will want to invest in secure currencies, and that means families of merged mined coins secured by ASICs.

(Assuming they are going to invest in proof of work blockchain based currencies at all, of course.)

-MarkM-
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1167
MY RED TRUST LEFT BY SCUMBAGS - READ MY SIG
Scrypt mining for GPU miners is about to become a thing of the past

Scrypt ASIC miners are about to be unleashed on the market.

KnC, a reputable ASIC manufacturer and  Alpha Technologies, a promising new player, are racing to be the first to deliver super powerful rigs that will blow GPU miners out of the water.

ASIC miners are custom designed machines with chips build specifically to tackle hashing of a particular algorithm. They are much more efficient and the Titan and Viper both look to be around a hundred times more powerful than a Radeon R9 290X, and because they use a fraction of the power to hash, they can mine profitably when GPU’s are reduced to noisy and expensive heating devices.

Thousands of miners with GPU rigs are about to be outcompeted by these new ASIC miners. What happened to SHA-256 based coins when Bitcoin ASICS were launched is about to happen to Scrypt. Bye bye profit.

So you want alternatives....

Darkcoin, qrk, heavycoin....... some algos that are for now asic resistant...

there are others coins also so check them out lots of scrypt jane and quite a few qrk and x11 too.

Is it worth ordering a scrypt asic now or will most of the hot coins switched to x11, qrk, heavy, scryptN, scrypt Jane by then and it would have been a waste of money??
Pages:
Jump to: