Pages:
Author

Topic: Secret Service Wants Software That Detects Sarcasm On Social Media - page 2. (Read 1801 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 250
Maybe they want it so they can stop arresting people for saying sarcastic or non-literal stuff on twitter etc.

This technology would not only be used for sarcasm, but for whatever you want to search for. 
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Maybe they want it so they can stop arresting people for saying sarcastic or non-literal stuff on twitter etc.
Activity: 508
Merit: 500
Secret Service wants software that detects sarcasm on social media.(Yeah, good luck.)

Washington Post, I see what you did over there Smiley. Nice pun!

Well, this reminded me of a scene from the movie Elysium, set in a dystopian future, that fits this perfectly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGzf0S0WqI
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Professional anarchist
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Activity: 462
The Secret Service in its zeal to protect the President is showing itself little different from, say, the Gestapo was in its zeal to protect the Fuehrer. Moreover, this is an excellent example of the difficulty in distinguishing mendacity from stupidity in the actions and pronouncements of bureaucrats.
Activity: 518
Real people can't catch sarcasm at times, let alone a computer software.

My thoughts exactly. A probabilistic system could easily be way off.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Real people can't catch sarcasm at times, let alone a computer software. Sarcasm is a mix of exaggeration, humour, insult. It cannot be detected only from context, may also need a understanding of concepts, views, relationships, current news...

You'll need a "learning computer" and train it for years to be able to detect sarcasm.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Kia ora!
All social media sites need to do is add this function:
[hypotheticallyspeaking]Lets just say I have a device that ticks....[/hypotheticallyspeaking]

Then have the code add some Dr Evil speechmark fingers around your statement,

Roll Eyes
Sorted, SS send your BTC to my wallet: 1MGaKZ9ndQPqux65h2rncSXRomvwreXTbn for saving you millions.
Activity: 434
man, i instantly thought of "the onion" once reading the topic of this thread. i was pleasantly surprised when this topic turned out to be legit.
Activity: 406
How about they just focus on the jobs they have instead of finding new ways to over analyze every god damned thing we do or say?
Activity: 462
Lux e tenebris
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

[...]
The work order asks for a long list of specific tools, including the ability to identify influential figures on social media, analyze data streams in real time, access old Twitter data and use heat maps. (It also wants the software to be compatible with the five-year-old Internet Explorer 8 browser — a sign of the government’s outdated technology.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-secret-service-wants-software-that-detects-sarcasm-yeah-good-luck/2014/06/03/35bb8bd0-eb41-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html

Pages:
Jump to: