Pages:
Author

Topic: Securing Seed Phrase Using Magic Mug Under $15 - page 2. (Read 418 times)

legendary
Activity: 3402
Merit: 10424
So Simple. I asked to print two Mugs. You may print more than four mugs. If you make them from four different shops, I don't think anyone can guess you are doing something stupid to secure your Seed Grin. If a single mug contains 3-6 random words, It's not enough to guess it's your seed phrase.
Imagine if you forget the order of those mugs, now you have to find a programmer to write a script to brute force it Cheesy With 3 words a mug (12 in total) that would be simple since it's just 4 mugs and 24 permutations (40k for 24 words) but still a pain in the bum.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
Just imagine scenario when you need to use your only seed words quickly, but you don't have any hot water or fire to warm water  Cheesy
I wouldn't use this magic mug for my seed phrase words, but it could be used for some fun crypto project that doesn't need to be super secure.
I don't know if this color changing gets weaker in time, but that could be one more thing to consider if you want to use them for this purpose.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
So Simple. I asked to print two Mugs. You may print more than four mugs. If you make them from four different shops, I don't think anyone can guess you are doing something stupid to secure your Seed Grin. If a single mug contains 3-6 random words, It's not enough to guess it's your seed phrase.

A backup divided into only 2 has a good amount of risk. As for 4+ mugs, with that amount of wasted space the mugs would need, is it even worth it anymore? Taking note that more mugs = the more mugs you need to not break.

Idunno, at that point I'd rather just do something else.
Activity: 280
Merit: 259
https://bitcoincleanup.com #EndTheFUD
Why would anyone want to use this insecure means of storing their seed phrase,

I know it's not 100% secure. It can be broken. So, Don't use it only to secure your Seed. It's interesting, Fun, and can be necessary sometimes.

I think the intention for this is to have a backup "hidden in plain sight"; just left on a cupboard. It's pretty much your backup on a thing that not even a thief would think of taking. Not necessarily something you would bring yourself everywhere lol as it's not a wallet in the first place.

But yea, I think this is nice if you could make one yourself; definitely not something I'd risk asking a manufacturer to make lol.

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
Why would anyone want to use this insecure means of storing their seedphrase, when they can get a hardware wallet for a slightly higher amount (if you're considering you would need to get two)?
Contracting someone to create a design for you with random words, would give a hint to a Bitcoin seedphrase, as the words would make zero sense when arranged on symmetrically. Giving the hint that you own bitcoins creates a security risk as you suggested it should not be ordered online.

The cons should also include that it's;
• Difficult to carry around,
• Would need to be imported into a device to be able to transfer,
• Could inadvertently be destroyed, misused, or tampered with if discovered.

I think the intention for this is to have a backup "hidden in plain sight"; just left on a cupboard. It's pretty much your backup on a thing that not even a thief would think of taking. Not necessarily something you would bring yourself everywhere lol as it's not a wallet in the first place.

But yea, I think this is nice if you could make one yourself; definitely not something I'd risk asking a manufacturer to make lol.
Activity: 1643
Merit: 683
LoyceV on the road. Or couch.
This looks fun for a qr code showing an address.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
A lot of the penetrations into so-called "secure systems, mechanisms, and processes" are done from the inside (inside job).

So if your spouse, brother or friend discovers it accidentially while using it (you're obviously not there of course), they could compromise the seed phrase without your knowledge, and you wouldn't have the smallest clue who did it.

When handling crypto, you can't really trust anyone unless you've done very valuable transactions with them before.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 2160
Professional Community manager
Why would anyone want to use this insecure means of storing their seedphrase, when they can get a hardware wallet for a slightly higher amount (if you're considering you would need to get two)?
Contracting someone to create a design for you with random words, would give a hint to a Bitcoin seedphrase, as the words would make zero sense when arranged on symmetrically. Giving the hint that you own bitcoins creates a security risk as you suggested it should not be ordered online.

The cons should also include that it's;
• Difficult to carry around,
• Would need to be imported into a device to be able to transfer,
• Could inadvertently be destroyed, misused, or tampered with if discovered.
Activity: 280
Merit: 259
https://bitcoincleanup.com #EndTheFUD
Hi Guys!

I guess it's an appropriate section to post this. If not, please suggest to me where I can move this.
I was thinking of a unique way to secure the Seed phrase, and I found one. I don't know if anyone has tried this already.
It's called Magic Mug in my country. I don't know what is the name of this on other countries. But, People usually print on mugs to gift their partner. So, I thought, why not try it? I know it's not 100% secure. It can be broken. So, Don't use it only to secure your Seed. It's interesting, Fun, and can be necessary sometimes. One of the best methods is to secure your Seed using washers: You can check this thread by fillippone Securing Your Seed Phrase with Washers

How does it work?: I guess everyone know does it works. Still, I want to describe it shortly. The Mug color is Black when it's Cool or at Normal Temperature. When pouring Hot water into the Mug, Mug's color will change, as shown in the photo below.

Before Pouring Hot Water:

After Pouring Hot Water

Pros:

• Cheap (Under $15)
  • Uncommon

Cons:

• Can be broken
  • Have to becarefull when print

Warning: Order at least two Mugs from different shops to print your Seed phrase, and never order online. If you can Order more than two Mugs, It will be better. Use it as a secondary seed phrase backup.

Pages:
Jump to: