Pages:
Author

Topic: SEGWIT & LN KILLING OFF the OnChain Miners (Better start looking for new Jobs) - page 3. (Read 2307 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 629
Question No Segwit Supporter will Answer

How will the OnChain Miners make Money, when almost all of the Transactions Occur OFFCHAIN on Lightening Network?

Answer:
You won't make enough money to stay a miner!
Segwit Supporters know this and don't care as long as they can make a Quick Buck at your expense.

Hum, that's a strange statement.   First of all, it would be a good thing that you won't make enough money to be a miner.  Mining was supposed to be distributed, not a centralized business opportunity.  Every node should mine a bit.  But second, if mining is less profitable, normally, difficulty goes down.  If difficulty goes down, the cost of mining goes down, and hence becomes more profitable, no ?  

And if most income comes from transaction fees, there are in any case instabilities in the system, so it can be a good idea that this breaks down right away.  In fact, there should be continuous tail emission in order to stabilise a PoW coin.  And sound money doctrine is in any case flawed in the competitive crypto world.

I think you are missing my point ,

When block rewards are gone, and nothing but transactions fees are paying the onchain miners,

Yes, but that's a fundamental error in crypto currencies that stop block rewards.  There's a known instability in that reward system.  I think that iamnotback has already posted links to public research that demonstrates this.  There's no reason to stop block rewards.  It is an error in bitcoin, litecoin and others, because they stop block rewards to adhere to a principle (sound money doctrine) that doesn't make sense if the "sound money" doesn't have the market monopoly.

And we are all right back where we started, with Banks controlling all of the money.[/i]  Tongue

But that is in any case an unavoidable evolution, unless the money market keeps on inventing new crypto and old crypto dies off.  Only this continuous turnover, with new coins coming in, and old ones suffering hyper inflation, can avoid "banking" and "centralisation".  Every stable system will always evolve to a centralised banking-type system.  Because of scaling laws.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

How will the OnChain Miners make Money, when almost all of the Transactions Occur OFFCHAIN on Lightening Network?

Answer:
Segwit Supporters know this and don't care as long as they can make a Quick Buck at your expense.

Hum, that's a strange statement.   First of all, it would be a good thing that you won't make enough money to be a miner.  Mining was supposed to be distributed, not a centralized business opportunity.  Every node should mine a bit.  But second, if mining is less profitable, normally, difficulty goes down.  If difficulty goes down, the cost of mining goes down, and hence becomes more profitable, no ? 

And if most income comes from transaction fees, there are in any case instabilities in the system, so it can be a good idea that this breaks down right away.  In fact, there should be continuous tail emission in order to stabilise a PoW coin.  And sound money doctrine is in any case flawed in the competitive crypto world.

I think you are missing my point ,

When block rewards are gone, and nothing but transactions fees are paying the onchain miners,
if LN keeps the Majority of the Transactions Fees for theirselves Offchain, the Onchain Miners Go Broke and the whole profession is unprofitable.
So LN then starts their own smaller onchain mining service, (which they use a small % of their offchain fees to pay for) for the few times when they need an onchain transactions, which by the way, THEIR FINAL GOAL IS ALL TRANSACTIONS ONLY HAPPEN OFFCHAIN.
LN=Banks
And we are all right back where we started, with Banks controlling all of the money.
  Tongue
Activity: 770
Merit: 629

Answer:

Hum, that's a strange statement.   First of all, it would be a good thing that you won't make enough money to be a miner.  Mining was supposed to be distributed, not a centralized business opportunity.  Every node should mine a bit.  But second, if mining is less profitable, normally, difficulty goes down.  If difficulty goes down, the cost of mining goes down, and hence becomes more profitable, no ? 

And if most income comes from transaction fees, there are in any case instabilities in the system, so it can be a good idea that this breaks down right away.  In fact, there should be continuous tail emission in order to stabilise a PoW coin.  And sound money doctrine is in any case flawed in the competitive crypto world.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

Answer:

Charlie Lee has sold out Litecoin and Plans on installing Segwit , No Matter how the Miners Vote!
http://www.newsbtc.com/2017/02/17/charlie-lee-potentially-enforcing-litecoin-segwit-activation-bitcoiners-concerned/

He is planning to Change the Proof of Work and Kill all of your Scrypt Miners, and make you Change PoW Algorithms
https://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5uf679/charlie_lee_people_dont_realize_what_segwit_is/ddtrbxe/

If you are talking about changing the POW then I have to notice it is a risky, expensive and difficult-to-coordinate strategy that may not work.
For one, the hard fork could fail to gain consensus.
For another, even if the POW changes, large miners are arguably the best positioned people to quickly deploy hardware that executes the new POW

Segwit = Onchain Miners Demise

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: