Pages:
Author

Topic: Should ANN and services threads be excluded from the merit system ? - page 2. (Read 367 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
Should ANN and services threads be excluded from the merit system ?
Yes (IMO). Few users have also merited me on one of my service threads and I'm pretty sure, they meant to like it (not merit it as if it was a high quality post).
- I created a thread that covers that (#6 on the list), previously suggested by Vod.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1924
฿ear ride on the rainbow slide
It will also defeat a large part of the purpose of having the merit system.
I don't know about that--merits given to ANN threads are at least not being given to shitposters, and that stymies their attempts to rank up, which in turn decreases their shitposting paycheck and also discourages account farming.  That, IMO, is the main thing that merits were meant to combat.

But most of the shit posting is done in ANN threads to bump up the thread so it displays on the first page.

Part of the purpose of the merit system is to highlight good posts (which is why they are displayed on the statistics page).

Good non-commercial threads are now harder to find because the ANN threads have taken their rightful spot.

The deep onion ANN thread smerits that they received as a result of the merits received went to shitposters.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;u=1038794

While I am disappointed that ANN threads are dominating the merit rankings - I'm pleasantly surprised that only the deeponion smerits went to shitposters.
The other ANN threads either haven't used their smerits or they were reasonably well distributed.

If the shitposting was quarantined to just that area, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it isn't.  The main section here (Bitcoin Discussion) has become nothing but a spam section because of signature campaign shitposters.  What I'm saying is at least those people aren't ranking up.  It would be so much worse if the merit system wasn't around.

Maybe you are onto something there. A dual merit system.

x amount of merits and posts to have a signature in the bounty and ann threads - those merits and posts have to be obtained in those sections of the forum.
x amount of merits and posts to have a signature in the other forum threads - those merits and posts have to be obtained in those sections of the forum.

People only wanting to participate in bounties and airdrops wouldn't ever need to post in the main forum.
legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
I don't know about that--merits given to ANN threads are at least not being given to shitposters, and that stymies their attempts to rank up, which in turn decreases their shitposting paycheck and also discourages account farming.  That, IMO, is the main thing that merits were meant to combat.
But most of the shit posting is done in ANN threads to bump up the thread so it displays on the first page.
If the shitposting was quarantined to just that area, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but it isn't.  The main section here (Bitcoin Discussion) has become nothing but a spam section because of signature campaign shitposters.  What I'm saying is at least those people aren't ranking up.  It would be so much worse if the merit system wasn't around.
legendary
Holy shit!  I didn't realize this was happening.  I haven't ever looked at that particular merit list, and now that I have, I'd have to say that this probably shouldn't be allowed.  This definitely goes against the spirit of the merit system, and especially Theymos's suggestion that merit should be for "objectively high quality posts" (I'm quoting from memory, forgive me if I got the words wrong, but that's basically what he said).

That's just awful.  I don't quite get why people are meriting ANN threads.  Are these thread-starters getting some sort of kickback from this?  Is it to get the threads on the "most merited threads" list?  Are people just kissing ass?  I wouldn't think that would be the case, since I can't imagine all these people would throw away their merits on ass-kissing.

I'm hoping that this system will increase post quality by:
 - Forcing people to post high-quality stuff in order to rank up. If you just post garbage, you will never get even 1 merit point, and you will therefore never be able to put links in your signature, etc.
- Highlighting good posts with the "Merited by" line.

While we will not be directly moderating this, I encourage people to give merit to posts that are objectively high-quality, not just posts that you agree with.

I think that regardless of whether it is intentional or just the result of people giving merits as "likes". It is extremely disappointing to seeing ANN threads, exchanges and escrow service threads rising in the ranks of displayed top threads. If it continues to be allowed then it will drown out the non commercial threads actually worth reading.

legendary
Activity: 3332
Merit: 6809
Cashback 15%
Holy shit!  I didn't realize this was happening.  I haven't ever looked at that particular merit list, and now that I have, I'd have to say that this probably shouldn't be allowed.  This definitely goes against the spirit of the merit system, and especially Theymos's suggestion that merit should be for "objectively high quality posts" (I'm quoting from memory, forgive me if I got the words wrong, but that's basically what he said).

That's just awful.  I don't quite get why people are meriting ANN threads.  Are these thread-starters getting some sort of kickback from this?  Is it to get the threads on the "most merited threads" list?  Are people just kissing ass?  I wouldn't think that would be the case, since I can't imagine all these people would throw away their merits on ass-kissing.
legendary
Should ANN and services threads be excluded from the merit system ?
Or at least excluded from being shown in the displayed statistics.

It is actually sad to see this:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=toptopicsat
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=merit;stats=toptopics

The merit system is being used to advertise threads.

I think it is disgusting that a shitcoin ANN thread like deeponion has a higher merit ranking than Bitcoin and me (Hal Finney)

Pages:
Jump to: