Pages:
Author

Topic: SHOULD CITIZENS WHO DON'T PAY TAXES BE ALLOWED TO VOTE? - page 3. (Read 461 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Any body or person who does not pay tax is not expected or permitted to vote.
Activity: 57
Merit: 6
If people decide not to work to avoid paying taxes (This number is almost certainly lower than you assume it is) they should be given incentives to work, with minimum wages that are actually worthwhile as opposed to state benefits. In my country (UK) people get free healthcare, dental care, prescriptions, council tax exemption, housing benefit and job seekers allowance and more if they have children. When the minimum wage is as low as it is you can see why there are incentives for certain people not to find a job, especially when they have low levels of education and can't get a decent wage. The blame for this either lies with the government, businesses or a combination of both depending on which side of the political spectrum you are on.

A person's right to vote for who runs their country should not be defined by whether they pay taxes or not. What you are saying is that people who do not pay taxes are not as important as people who do and this is not the case. If what you are suggesting was allowed, the government would be able to exploit the lower rungs of society as these people would not have a say in anything, potentially leading to the erosion of their civil liberty and encourage modern day slavery.

It might sound far fetched in this day and age, but when you take away peoples right to vote you are leading society towards a slippery slope and stranger things have happened.

Activity: 210
Merit: 1
I think everyone has a right to vote whether he/she doesnt pay taxes.Theres a law that gives exemption of taxes to those people who had no enough earnings.So I dont think its appropriate not to allow them to vote unless when a certain person who got lots of profit but still doesnt pay taxes its already punishable by law.So the government will be in control in those kind of matter.
Activity: 48
Merit: 2
I believe it should be more in the lines of "Should citizens who don't vote be allowed to not pay their taxes". Makes perfect sense, if the government doesn't deserve my vote even, it is definitely undeserving of my moneyZ.  Roll Eyes Liberty lives  Wink Cool
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
I know will refer to the constitution and human rights on this matter but If a citizen does not contribute to society, how can that citizen have an opinion on it? Ultimately if you do not pay tax, you have no need to affect the political process, and your impact will be negative to others because you will be uninformed on how to vote to improve things.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Pages:
Jump to: