Pages:
Author

Topic: Should I buy a USB miner? I get free electricity... - page 4. (Read 2346 times)

Activity: 123
Merit: 100
How is your parents paying for something free electricity...

Your not set within reality, your just adding to their bills. You really want huge electric bill for your parents because of getting maybe 0.001 bitcoin produced?

You need a better plan.

Unless where you live you do get free electricity thats a different story. Nice name by the way lol.
Activity: 89
Merit: 10
Another vote for spending the money you would spend on buying miners and just buy BTC directly.

Maybe even buy some for your parents and set them up with a wallet! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
Electricity is not a major factor in ASIC mining (yet). If you get "free" electricity, you are better of mining scrypt coins with your GPU, or CPU-only coins.
Activity: 508
Merit: 500
LOL, free = my parents pay for it.  Roll Eyes
There will come a time when OP will find that statement funny as well. That time is not today I'm afraid Smiley.

At today's BTC prices and difficulty, you will make around $0.28/month. Wow!
Activity: 658
Buy and sell bitcoins,
LOL, free = my parents pay for it.  Roll Eyes  But in general, if you get free electricity, yes, it's worth it (as long as you aren't frying your hardware). But it still will take a long, long time to see any returns.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1038
I'm in a unique situation at the moment where I get free electricity since I live with my parents.

The cheapest USB miners I've seen go for about $20, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I've noticed that there are two types - one type that runs at 330MHash/s and another type that runs at about 2.2GHash/s. I had the opportunity to snap up 6 of the latter types for $50 once but didn't take it. Now I definitely regret not buying those while I had the chance.

So anyway, at these prices and with free electricity, do you think it is worth attempting to mine Bitcoin and SHA-256 altcoins?

Or does electricity not really come into play since USB miners use so little anyway?

You will most likely not break even.

Even with 0 electricity costs , the price of the BTC < the price of the USB miner.
It will not be worth it even with free electricity.

If you want to invest in Bitcoin , buy it directly.

On the other hand , these miners are fun as memorabilia Smiley
Activity: 508
I'm in a unique situation at the moment where I get free electricity since I live with my parents.

That kind of thinking, is going to get your parents in more debt, and you without a roof over your head. Huh

Thank you for threads like these, as they really put a smile to my face.
On-topic: Personally, I'd like a 1st gen USB miner as well. It's quite a nice novelty item and it would make a nice keychain. Something that shows my Bitcoin support.

Those 330mh/s USB contributed for a bried period of time on the blockchain, time to contribute to my keychain Cheesy.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1049

The cheapest USB miners I've seen go for about $20, maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less. I've noticed that there are two types - one type that runs at 330MHash/s and another type that runs at about 2.2GHash/s. I had the opportunity to snap up 6 of the latter types for $50 once but didn't take it. Now I definitely regret not buying those while I had the chance.

So anyway, at these prices and with free electricity, do you think it is worth attempting to mine Bitcoin and SHA-256 altcoins?

Or does electricity not really come into play since USB miners use so little anyway?

Now as your questions are answered, can u plz tell us, why u have taken such a great forum name ? Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073

That kind of thinking, is going to get your parents in more debt, and you without a roof over your head. Huh
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
If you try mining BTC with this you are not going to mine anything. Complete waste of energy in my opinion.
BR
TCM
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
I would hardly call someone else paying "free", let alone your parents paying it.
Activity: 21
Merit: 1

Pages:
Jump to: