Pages:
Author

Topic: should i go 50/50 with gold and bitcoin? - page 11. (Read 8867 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000
January 09, 2016, 10:38:45 AM
Depends on your goals. Either way if that's all you have you need to diversify I agree. Gold is always a good option and I understand your concept, I don't think it will ever happen but hey, if civilization crumbles to the point of no internet, then gold will most likely be your salvation. Just keep it close and not in a internet operated swiss vault hehe!
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
January 09, 2016, 10:33:55 AM
It is personal preferences to like more gold or bitcoin, but personally i would invest in bitcoin.
Gold is more stable but we expect a higher increase of bitcoin in upcoming years.
Its the amount of risk that the person wishes to take that will determine his rewards in the long run.
legendary
Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061
January 09, 2016, 08:29:53 AM

BTC is an investment with HUGE systemic risk.

Gold is an investment which has proven itself as a store of value for the entire duration of human civilisation.

BTC has bottomed out (for now) in 2015 for sure. Gold may have just bottomed out, or may still be bottoming out. Whatever happens, providing you are thinking in terms of a 5-10 year investment, now should prove to be a tremendous time to buy gold. Down almost 50% on it's 2011 high!

In terms of growth of profits, you are likely to see far more potential yield in the immediate future with Bitcoin, but if you fail to time your exit well, also far more potential for evaporation of profits.

I believe we are entering the final wave of the 'fear cycle'. Expect massive market corrections in the next 18 months. Usually under these circumstances, hard assets or safe haven assets do very well, as the fear, uncertainty, and doubt, drive people away from investments with counter party risk, and into things which are 'solid'. If the market can be tricked into believing that Bitcoin is a 'hard asset', then we may see blistering gains in Bitcoin compared to gold, but the core difference will always remain, that gold is real, it is formed within a very narrow band of time in the final moments before a star goes supernova, hence it's rarity across the entire cosmos. Bitcoin on the otherhand, is vapour, and one day, it will be revealed to be nothing more than that, whethet that is 5 years, or 50 years from now.

Gold is an insurance policy, BTC is about as highly speculative an asset as it gets. Do what makes you feel good/comfortable with yourself.

Gold has been the best form of money for thousands of years but crypto can do some things better than gold, eg easier to store, easier to divide, easier to send. Market doesn't care that elements are created in the sun, only cares which is most efficient at filling the need for money. But yes crypto is still beta and in a huge experimental growth phase therefore much more speculative.
legendary
Activity: 1204
January 09, 2016, 06:58:45 AM
It is personal preferences to like more gold or bitcoin, but personally i would invest in bitcoin.
Gold is more stable but we expect a higher increase of bitcoin in upcoming years.
legendary
Activity: 2242
Merit: 3523
Flippin' burgers since 1163.
January 09, 2016, 06:56:25 AM
people will sell their Bitcoins and the price will drop to the 100s.

Ahh, aren't we all dreaming about cheap bitcoins. Please notify me when you are selling your precious coins at those dollar prices.

@OP
You should not think about absolute amounts but rather decide which percentage of your wealth you would like to have in Bitcoin. Adjust accordingly every 6 or 12 months.
Activity: 243
Merit: 100
January 09, 2016, 06:39:20 AM
at the moment i have 30 btc now i could sell in the highs and buy gold leaving me with 15 btc.

im starting to think btc wont survive long due being entirely digital the thing could be abandoned or worse internet might go down what you guys think i would look pretty stupid buying something you cant see or hold im torn to shreds right now.

ive listened to max keiser and proffs that bitcoin could be worth tens of thousends i think its the most sensible thing to do "dont put eggs in one basket" on all...

it draws a fine line... i.e. all that electricity to "mine" bitcoins pushing hardware to the max and with exchanges like crypsty and cexio mucking me around i just dont see the future help me realise this what should i do?

Gold is an investment which has proven itself as a store of value for the entire duration of human civilisation.

BTC has bottomed out (for now) in 2015 for sure. Gold may have just bottomed out, or may still be bottoming out. Whatever happens, providing you are thinking in terms of a 5-10 year investment, now should prove to be a tremendous time to buy gold. Down almost 50% on it's 2011 high!

In terms of growth of profits, you are likely to see far more potential yield in the immediate future with Bitcoin, but if you fail to time your exit well, also far more potential for evaporation of profits.

I believe we are entering the final wave of the 'fear cycle'. Expect massive market corrections in the next 18 months. Usually under these circumstances, hard assets or safe haven assets do very well, as the fear, uncertainty, and doubt, drive people away from investments with counter party risk, and into things which are 'solid'. If the market can be tricked into believing that Bitcoin is a 'hard asset', then we may see blistering gains in Bitcoin compared to gold, but the core difference will always remain, that gold is real, it is formed within a very narrow band of time in the final moments before a star goes supernova, hence it's rarity across the entire cosmos. Bitcoin on the otherhand, is vapour, and one day, it will be revealed to be nothing more than that, whethet that is 5 years, or 50 years from now.

Gold is an insurance policy, BTC is about as highly speculative an asset as it gets. Do what makes you feel good/comfortable with yourself.

Agree with the above 100%

If you are considering gold, take a look at Xaurum. It is 100% gold backed and you can "melt" xau and receive the gold at your home. Not only you are fully covered by gold but the amount of gold grows constantly by mining of Xau, by every new direct purchase of xau, by every transaction (fees are converted to gold). Since the beginning of this year the amount of gold represented by 1 Xau has grown from 1,406154326 g/XAU to 1,448123884 g/XAU. This coin is in initial phase and it has big potential.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043
January 09, 2016, 06:28:24 AM
at the moment i have 30 btc now i could sell in the highs and buy gold leaving me with 15 btc.

im starting to think btc wont survive long due being entirely digital the thing could be abandoned or worse internet might go down what you guys think i would look pretty stupid buying something you cant see or hold im torn to shreds right now.

ive listened to max keiser and proffs that bitcoin could be worth tens of thousends i think its the most sensible thing to do "dont put eggs in one basket" on all...

it draws a fine line... i.e. all that electricity to "mine" bitcoins pushing hardware to the max and with exchanges like crypsty and cexio mucking me around i just dont see the future help me realise this what should i do?

Agree with the above 100%
January 09, 2016, 06:22:35 AM
I'm going to gradually unload some btc for gold and silver, just for diversification.

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.
But even with gold, I would not discard the chance of a doubling in price within 1-2 years.

I would agree on everything you just said and I've always suggeste deveryone around to don't go all in with Bitcoin. I'm not really sure about silver but regarding gold it will never lose its appeal.
Gold is not crude oil!
I am going all in with bitcoins because I hope that the price will increase in the long run. Still that's my view because I like to take the risk.
legendary
Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422
January 09, 2016, 06:18:17 AM
I'm going to gradually unload some btc for gold and silver, just for diversification.

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.
But even with gold, I would not discard the chance of a doubling in price within 1-2 years.

I would agree on everything you just said and I've always suggested everyone around not to go all in with Bitcoin. I'm not really sure about silver but regarding gold it will never lose its appeal.
Gold is not crude oil!
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
January 09, 2016, 06:15:19 AM

Imho silver has more potential gain if they start rising, given the gold/silver price ratio overextended at about 80X, current price below mining cost,  almost no stock, etc.

Now both look like they've just bottomed, so risks of further major drops should be contained.
Whatever you do, at this time I would move gradually, and not forget to keep about 20-30% in cash at all times.
legendary
Activity: 1008
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
January 09, 2016, 06:09:36 AM
Id love to have 30btc but if you considor that we might not even be in the highs yet you might be kicking yourself in a few months if price does indeed skyrocket due to the halfing and other influencing factors. The price has been hovering around this price for a while now so it depends on whether or  not you expect it to plummet.
legendary
Activity: 2101
Merit: 1061
January 09, 2016, 06:09:25 AM
I'd favour bitcoin, I switched some of the yellow metal for more bitcoin when bitcoin was somewhere in the $200's. I will get more gold when bitcoin is much higher than now. I think it is a good idea to switch some for gold but not yet. This bitcoin bull has hardly started.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
January 09, 2016, 06:05:57 AM

30BTC is a more than decent amount to have, especially for the long term. Due to Bitcoin's fully digital nature it doesn't mean it won't survive. At some point in the future the majority of payments around the world will be done digitally by people paying with their smartphones and such.

If you do want to spread your investments, then you surely can do that. 75% invested in Bitcoin and 25% invested in Gold isn't that bad of a spread of investments. I personally would keep all the 30 Bitcoins and keep it offline in a secure manner for the future. But you are free to do what you want.
January 09, 2016, 05:30:43 AM
If you prefer to have the price stability of gold it would be good to invest 50% in gold.
If you can take the risks of holding bitcoins you can profit big time in the long run.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
January 09, 2016, 05:20:26 AM

THREE WORDS: Think For Yourself
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
January 09, 2016, 04:47:11 AM
i would do 30/70, i would favor bitcoin, because it is really in the way to increase dramatically, you would profit much more than having 50% on somethign which is stagnant, and will remain stagnant

because stability = stagnation

Yes, even going 90/10 with the bitcoin and gold must be a wise decision in my perspective. But I never recommend to go hundred percent with bitcoin alone.
Diversifying our investment is must for portfolio management. But we can trust bitcoin to invest more.

yeah i agree i would personally do it in the way you said, but maybe the OP is more conservative, so i said 30/70

if i want to be honest i would invest everything in bitcoin right now, the trend is vastly different than what it was last year,

you would do a great error comparing it to 2014 for example...but i know that people tend to have difficulty to forget the bad things
Activity: 714
Me, myself and I
January 09, 2016, 04:20:25 AM
i think your choice is good split investment with percentage 50/50 but if i'm it's you i would make 40/60 because i'm sure mid this year bitcoin price will jump high
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057
January 09, 2016, 04:10:59 AM
i would do 30/70, i would favor bitcoin, because it is really in the way to increase dramatically, you would profit much more than having 50% on somethign which is stagnant, and will remain stagnant

Yes, even going 90/10 with the bitcoin and gold must be a wise decision in my perspective. But I never recommend to go hundred percent with bitcoin alone.
Diversifying our investment is must for portfolio management. But we can trust bitcoin to invest more.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
January 09, 2016, 04:01:02 AM
i would do 30/70, i would favor bitcoin, because it is really in the way to increase dramatically, you would profit much more than having 50% on something which is stagnant, and will remain stagnant

Activity: 248
Merit: 252
January 09, 2016, 01:00:40 AM
Gold I wouldn't call an investment, as it's purchasing power remains largely the same (ignoring typical swings).  What you could buy for an ounce of gold a century ago is pretty much what you can buy with it now.  The FIAT by which it is measured has seriously taken a dive however.

If you're feeling a little too exposed in BTC then Gold could be a decent option (but keep it yourself, and not in a bank).  Just don't expect any stellar gains with it, but more of a safety storage of your assets.

After the stock crash (whenever that will be), there will be some good pickings to be had, but if you wanted to buy now then it tends to be unethical investments that weather a storm better.

If the internet should go down, then society will be in a tailspin and BTC will be the least of your worries.
Pages:
Jump to: