Pages:
Author

Topic: Should I make the jump to segwit? - page 2. (Read 536 times)

Activity: 800
Merit: 294
Created AutoTune to saved the planet! ~USA
May 15, 2019, 04:28:55 PM
Okay now I never heard of nested segwit. I mainly used bitcoin-qt and a ledger with electrum or ledger live.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18706
May 15, 2019, 03:36:11 PM
Yeah, I generally go off the https://transactionfee.info/charts/payments/segwit graph. It shows a 7 day rolling average by default, so gives a more accurate trend. If you change it to a 50-day or 200-day average, for example, you can see SegWit adoption is averaging out at 42%. If you change it to 1-day, it looks much more like the charts.woobull.com graph you linked, with some days in the 20s and others in the 50s. I wonder what is causing such a large swing?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
May 15, 2019, 03:18:48 PM
I moved away from legacy a long time ago, but I've recently started moving away from nested SegWit to native SegWit. I haven't used a service that doesn't recognize native SegWit in quite some time, and I figure that if I do need to in the future, it is trivial to create a nested SegWit address to receive the coins and then re-route them to my a native SegWit address.

SegWit adoption does seem to have "got stuck" around the 40-45% mark

https://charts.woobull.com/bitcoin-segwit-adoption/

based on this, it seems to be tending in the 30s range.
maybe you have a different chart.

https://transactionfee.info/charts/payments/segwit
Shows 43% of total transactions being segwit..

And so does https://segwit.space
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18706
May 15, 2019, 03:10:35 PM
I moved away from legacy a long time ago, but I've recently started moving away from nested SegWit to native SegWit. I haven't used a service that doesn't recognize native SegWit in quite some time, and I figure that if I do need to in the future, it is trivial to create a nested SegWit address to receive the coins and then re-route them to my a native SegWit address.

SegWit adoption does seem to have "got stuck" around the 40-45% mark, but I don't see why you would want to continue to pay higher fees. If you are really worried about services not recognizing native SegWit, just switch to nested SegWit for full compatibility and still some reduction (but less than with native SegWit) in fees.
May 15, 2019, 03:07:34 PM
Has it been long enough where I can safely move all my coins from legacy to segwit wallets to save on fees or is the adoption not as widespread as I think it now is?

I show 140,000 approx txs per day. Is that what you thought it was?

More so adoption for services and exchanges and whatever else. As that is about 40% of the network is segwit.
I think almost all, if not all services by now support nested segwit (and i'm pretty sure have always done so in the past since 3.. adresses were also used as multisig.)

As for BC1, well, there are some services which have problems detecting these payments, (I'm looking at you G2A, & some random mixers), but overall it hasn't really been a problem for me personally.
You could always safely switch to use nested segwit first and make the jump to native later.

Now, what about just waiting it out for lightning to be the holy grail?
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427
May 15, 2019, 03:03:59 PM
Has it been long enough where I can safely move all my coins from legacy to segwit wallets to save on fees or is the adoption not as widespread as I think it now is?

More so adoption for services and exchanges and whatever else. As that is about 40% of the network is segwit.
I think almost all, if not all services by now support nested segwit (and i'm pretty sure have always done so in the past since 3.. adresses were also used as multisig.)

As for BC1, well, there are some services which have problems detecting these payments, (I'm looking at you G2A, & some random mixers), but overall it hasn't really been a problem for me personally.
You could always safely switch to use nested segwit first and make the jump to native later.
May 15, 2019, 02:55:36 PM

May 15, 2019, 02:48:45 PM
Pages:
Jump to: