Pages:
Author

Topic: Should newbies be restricted again? - page 2. (Read 3245 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
March 09, 2014, 04:11:51 PM
I still think 0.01 BTC payment to join this forum would help the most.

It is very difficult to get 0.01 nowadays, even when its value is just $6. It takes absolutely ages from faucets, impossible to mine from cpu, months from first gen asics, or may be a 50 mile drive to a bitcoin shop or atm.

$6 to join is to me quite reasonable. Here in the U.K. that equates to only £3.59. Christ I spend that on a paperback book to read up on things. Also for people to get information they could do what I did. I read lots of stuff on here and got lots of valuable information without needing to join. I only joined recently as I wanted to help put a bit of what I have learned back into help.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
March 09, 2014, 03:21:49 PM
Oh I agree with newbie scams being a problem, my previous comments in this thread acknowledged that. I am just saying a membership fee of 0.01 is forbiddingly high for someone who genuinely wants to seek help from users here.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
March 09, 2014, 03:15:24 PM

It is very difficult to get 0.01 nowadays, even when its value is just $6. It takes absolutely ages from faucets, impossible to mine from cpu, months from first gen asics, or may be a 50 mile drive to a bitcoin shop or atm.

Fiat > BTC, of course. Increase demand for BTC. To allow free entrance here works directly against demand increase and on top of it all we have scam
shits going around every day! Cost to attempt scamming? Almost zero. What to do with scammed coins? Most likely sell for fiat, putting preasure
on major coins, those one can convert to fiat. So in the end very little good comes from free access to this forum. The number of damaging posts from
newbies exceeds number of beneficial posts by massive percentage.

Newbies are allowed to post links to supposedly cryptocoin GUI clients (Qt) and other executables and suspicious stuff like infecting people computers
is no big deal for Bitcoin. It is so because we need more "Bitcoins scammed!" articles in media, right?

Liberal mindset was appropriate around here but it is no more, at least not when it comes to forum moderation ... it will backfire badly sooner or later
and then bullshits like "Use your brain!" will become just echoes of failed management.
March 09, 2014, 03:12:24 PM

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
March 09, 2014, 02:55:11 PM
I went through the Newbie Jail and it just took a bit of patience.

Anyone who is into cryptocoins short or long-term will not find it hard to wait to exit newbie jail. Everyone else is provably working against cryptos,
one way or another, with eventual exception of people who are already into community and not active on forum but have some major news to post.
Like local event or something, stuff no one else could know and thus post here, so opening News section for newbies might be actualy useful.

I still think 0.01 BTC payment to join this forum would help the most. BTC earned could be used to hire some (more) professional forum moderators
or even pay known people doing investigations around here so that they become extra motivated to check new user backgrounds, claims and so on.
Activity: 182
March 09, 2014, 02:44:42 PM
I went through the Newbie Jail and it just took a bit of patience.

Thread starting ban sounds good as it will hopefully make them read and search.

Like below post. How sodding hard is it to search for one of the 8000 posts where people have already ( including me cos I run them ) told people what PSU runs an S1 Antminer for God's sake.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=508289.0;topicseen

We need a bit of education for them. Read, Search, Read some more and if you still can't find it ask.
Activity: 180
Merit: 1003
March 09, 2014, 02:21:17 PM
I think earlier newbie restriction was too strict and instead of moving back to it if only we can restrict newbies from creating new threads most of the current issues would be resolved and at the same time the restrictions will be acceptable.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
March 09, 2014, 01:54:22 PM
I believe they should be restricted to they reach jr member.  I had to wait to get membership at this site, plus wait in jail.
Activity: 196
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
March 09, 2014, 12:43:55 PM

If we're making a list, no one'd have time to read it.  There are new ones every few minutes in the Marketplace
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011
Reverse engineer from time to time
STT
legendary
Activity: 4060
Merit: 1448
March 08, 2014, 10:14:17 PM

They would wait...

wait and do what, take part in a community reading and avoiding previous mistakes instead of endlessly going for the moneyshot.   You dream big

I can remember being a noob and it wasnt a massive deal.  The noob section is fairly well populated and frequented by 'real' forum users.    It is the most harsh deal Ive seen for new users on a forum but due to the nature of the business I understand its for the best now.
Its only a real pain for people who have no real question or threads to read on a subject new to them; mostly because they arent new at all.  Thats fine
Activity: 18
Merit: 0
March 08, 2014, 08:22:09 AM
I'm a newbie and I agree, at least there would be a bit less advertising/scam spam on here.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
March 08, 2014, 08:11:14 AM
I agree with newbies restriction, a lot of scam and virus pushing from them in the last weeks..
March 08, 2014, 06:39:10 AM
This is the kind of newbie post i was talking about, is there anything mods can do?

New users selling email and password database:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/--506615
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
nahtnam.com
March 08, 2014, 01:43:40 AM
Well we are trying to reduce "shit" on the forum anyways...

If you adopt such a hardline stance it will lead to a shortage of alt-coins. Oh the horrors!

Why not start your own forum?
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1571
March 08, 2014, 01:21:32 AM

If you adopt such a hardline stance it will lead to a shortage of alt-coins. Oh the horrors!
legendary
nahtnam.com
March 08, 2014, 12:43:12 AM
Aside from the reinstatement of newb jail, I would also like to see them restricted from creating ANN threads.

How will they announce new alt coins then?

They would wait...

What??! Not fair! The only reason anyone signs up here is to announce a new shit coin.

legendary
March 08, 2014, 12:42:11 AM
Aside from the reinstatement of newb jail, I would also like to see them restricted from creating ANN threads.

They would wait...

What??! Not fair! The only reason anyone signs up here is to announce a new shit coin.
legendary
nahtnam.com
March 08, 2014, 12:28:43 AM

They would wait...
legendary
March 08, 2014, 12:27:43 AM

Pages:
Jump to: