Pages:
Author

Topic: Should we kick more people off welfare? - page 3. (Read 2673 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
August 28, 2015, 02:14:12 PM
what proportion of your country's welfare bill goes to these types of people? in the uk half goes to pensioners and a quarter goes to people who have jobs. it pisses me off too seeing money going to these layabout cockroaches but dealing with them alone isn't going to lead to significant savings.
I would say about half of the pensioners work. In the building I live in though nobody works. They just do drugs and borrow money from others.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 504
August 28, 2015, 11:54:42 AM
Long-term welfare payments should be limited to the disabled and the elderly. Able-bodied adults under the age of 60 should be banned from receiving welfare checks for more than 3 months continuously. Canada is facing a severe shortage of manpower in some sectors (esp. masons, woodcutters.etc). The government should give them job training and compel them to join the workforce.

That's easy to say in an adequately performing economy. The reality is though, not everybody can do well as a mason, or a woodcutter, and some are specialized in certain areas where they are heavily invested in the training they already received for a skill which was valuable a few years ago, which is no longer valuable today.

Just because there is a current shortage of masons and woodcutters doesn't imply that there will be in the next few years, and how much would it cost to train these people, just to have them unemployed again when a different sector of the economy performs less-than satisfactorily in the future?

I personally think there should be less of a barrier to entry for the independent and small business person who wishes to contract for themselves...
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
August 28, 2015, 11:24:54 AM
Long-term welfare payments should be limited to the disabled and the elderly. Able-bodied adults under the age of 60 should be banned from receiving welfare checks for more than 3 months continuously. Canada is facing a severe shortage of manpower in some sectors (esp. masons, woodcutters.etc). The government should give them job training and compel them to join the workforce.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
August 28, 2015, 11:13:47 AM
I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means.

I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer.

And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.

Benjamin Franklin, On the Price of Corn and Management of the Poor, November 1766

A very difficult call to make as there are many instances where people have to be looked after, either through providing care and or through providing some form of welfare. The system is however so open for abuse and I think this is a major headache in most countries.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014
August 28, 2015, 10:50:24 AM
what proportion of your country's welfare bill goes to these types of people? in the uk half goes to pensioners and a quarter goes to people who have jobs. it pisses me off too seeing money going to these layabout cockroaches but dealing with them alone isn't going to lead to significant savings.
Activity: 593
Merit: 500
1NoBanksLuJPXf8Sc831fPqjrRpkQPKkEA
August 28, 2015, 09:32:16 AM
Only if we start from the top. Money making money is a concept that must die.

It will never die and it can't die at all. You think about giving money to others and getting back more. Stop doing that and no one will lend his money anymore. Big disadvantage for the economy.

On top... when it would be disallowed to take interest then you simply get employees that work for you and you have the same result.

By the way... in some religions it's disallowed. They still found ways to circumvent it.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
August 05, 2015, 11:26:17 PM
It's easy to say yes to that, but the management needed to decide who really needs it and who is just faking (spending it on drugs) would be ginormous and even then it would not be fool proof.

So yes, but things would have to be different.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
August 05, 2015, 10:48:22 PM
Only if we start from the top. Money making money is a concept that must die.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
August 05, 2015, 03:02:17 PM
First of all before I begin this post I would like to explain my financial situation. I live in a social assistance building in downtown Vancouver and I collect $541 from the provincial government after paying rent. I filed my taxes and I get a $100 GST cheque from the government every two months. I am currently saving up money to service my Windows laptop and get my projects off that laptop.

A lot of people who live in my building spend their disability cheques on drugs and alcohol. The residents get quite irritable and angry when free lunches are canceled. They push themselves ahead in line when asking for meds, and do a poor job keeping the building secure. Drug dealers roam the building selling drugs to residents because the dealers friend who lives here buzzed them in.

I just think that it's public money not being sufficiently spent. I am one of only 5 people on welfare who work in my building or have any kind of job skills whatsoever. That being said, bitcoin is not hardcore computer science, they could at least buy a cheap netbook and earn from Bitcoinget and other sites to go buy themselves lunch. I suppose begging other people to feed them just sounds easier than planning and working.
Pages:
Jump to: