Pages:
Author

Topic: Silk Road 2.0 hacked through malleability, ~4000 BTC STOLEN - page 7. (Read 28379 times)

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

wow...

another alex jones listener.

Yes because all people criticizing the government and the horrible things Arnold has done to Calee-forn-eeeaah's economy all come from watching the Alex Jones show. You can't understand anything about arnold schwarzenegger, form your own opinion about the really tyrannical shit he's pulled in California and not be an alex jones fan.

dude. you lost me once you started going on about sucking dicks.

Well you see, men have penises. Women have vaginas. Did that clear things up for ya?
Activity: 112
I remember when this used to be a thread about BTC and SR2, ohh the good ol days

wow...

another alex jones listener.

Yes because all people criticizing the government and the horrible things Arnold has done to Calee-forn-eeeaah's economy all come from watching the Alex Jones show. You can't understand anything about arnold schwarzenegger, form your own opinion about the really tyrannical shit he's pulled in California and not be an alex jones fan.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009
This is hilarious.
look guys. The FBI and NSA and probably CIA already have quantum computers that can completely wipe out bitcoin. The bitcoin developers KNOW this and talked about it recently. Isn't it conceivable that THEY stole the money? That THEY are responsible for the DDoS attacks?

lol. this sums up this community's logic.

it has to be the tooth fairy or santa claus.

because it couldn't possibly be the DOUCHEBAG WHO RUNS THE SITE.

No one is saying it isn't the idiots who run the illegal site. I'm pointing out ANOTHER *POSSIBILITY* that everyone else seems to be overlooking, however. We know full and well the NSA and FBI have the computing abilities to steal our fucking bitcoins. Whose to say they haven't been practicing for years?

because the history of thefts have always been exchnages, and site owners, and script kiddies.

stop pulling conspiracy shit out of your tinfoil hat. it's the usual suspects.

Exactly. People just want it to be the government so they can continue saying that governments are bad...

That's because they are bad. You people think the government regulating bitcoin is a GOOD thing?

I don't but between regulation and saying that governments are fully bad... That's a huge stretch. Do they do bad things? Sure. But they do benefit your life in some ways whether you like it or not.

Newsflash. Bad people aren't good. Therefore they do not do good things. Wow, go figure. Also, this just in. THE GOVERNMENT ISN'T A PERSON BUT RATHER A BODY OF PERSONS. That means if the government DOES produce something good (Rand Paul fillibustering and running for president, eh hemm, he's a senator therefore part of the government but not representative of most of it, most of it being bad), it's not because of the bad people within the government.

Go ahead though, bend over and suck the dicks of hitlerian politicians such as Arnold Schwarzenegger and gun grabbing maniac Mayer Bloomberg. Because you liked The Running Man, didn't you? Better suck Arnie's cock then. (As if arnold controlled the entire production of the running man, and that Jesse Ventura is just as bad as Arnold because he was also in the movie with him)
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
look guys. The FBI and NSA and probably CIA already have quantum computers that can completely wipe out bitcoin. The bitcoin developers KNOW this and talked about it recently. Isn't it conceivable that THEY stole the money? That THEY are responsible for the DDoS attacks?

No one is saying it isn't the idiots who run the illegal site. I'm pointing out ANOTHER *POSSIBILITY* that everyone else seems to be overlooking, however. We know full and well the NSA and FBI have the computing abilities to steal our fucking bitcoins. Whose to say they haven't been practicing for years?

because the history of thefts have always been exchnages, and site owners, and script kiddies.

Exactly. People just want it to be the government so they can continue saying that governments are bad...

That's because they are bad. You people think the government regulating bitcoin is a GOOD thing?

I don't but between regulation and saying that governments are fully bad... That's a huge stretch. Do they do bad things? Sure. But they do benefit your life in some ways whether you like it or not.

Where there is a will there is a way. You think bitcoin isn't derail-able, but it is. I don't care what the histories are, as people can mask who they truly are. You can have someone setup a false website and he will let the FBI in on everything he's doing because he's a paid actor, and walla they can do a brute force attack and shutter the markets. There can be a lot of people that can hurt bitcoin, all they need to do is work together. What i'm saying is though, people can be paid off by the government with it's useless fiat greenbacks, to allow them to access certain sites and their secure data. That's what I think happened here. It's also entirely possible that the encryption was cracked by a quantum computer, to an extent.

While the government can't just straight up hack the entire bitcoin network without us knowing about it, they can certainly find people who own sites like Silk Road who will co-operate.

why can't they use their bitcoin power to hash at 100 PH/s

Because a quantum computer is an ANALOG computer, not a digital one, you can literally program them to do anything, even hash bitcoin. Whose to say they haven't been doing that?
Activity: 84

why can't they use their bitcoin power to hash at 100 PH/s

legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
Any coins to which you don't have the private key are not yours, they are a ledger entry, so don't store coins anywhere except your wallet (cold storage is best), unless you absolutely have to.

Does Coinbase fall in this category?  I create the address using Coinbase, where is my private key??

Curious about this same question as to does Coinbase fall under this? 

Coinbase and many other sites are reputable, but no one is perfect. SR 2 (unless they are crooks) made a dumb error and lost a lot of coins. Ditto Gox. Ditto others. Ditto some of the pools.  Has coinbase been hacked? Not yet that we know of.  Have people lost coins at coinbase? People say yes, probably through Trojans, key loggers, and the like.

The best practice is to use cold storage for coins you don't intend to use soon, where you have the private key(s) created using the bitcoin wiki process.

Think about it like this: you send your coins to me, and I'm holding them for you. You have to trust me, trust everyone who works with me, trust everyone who has access to our network (even the NSA can screw up there) and everyone who has access to the private keys.  You also have to trust each of those people to not accidentally screw up by getting malware or just making a mistake in coding. Hopefully most of coinbase's coins are offline in cold storage, but you are trusting them. They are well funded, so probably are okay, but it is pretty easy to move your coins out of there if you intend to keep them for a long while, so even if the chance of them having a problem is low, why not protect yourself?

Activity: 25
Merit: 0
Thread title is wrong.

SR2 was not 'hacked'. This was theft from a pool of money about as secure as a blind busker's tophat.
Activity: 171
Now at least they are not stupid to let the gorverment have the bitcoin . it must be backup  Roll Eyes

No. I think it's between the site developers or a hacker (or group of) that found a vulnerability.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
Does anybody think that this article is a spoof?
If you keep your BTC on an illegal goods website run by drug dealers you deserve to get your funds stolen...

I wouldn't say they deserve it, but they should at least not be too surprised.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
It's going down because bitcoin is now vulnerable to hackers.

Is this why the BTC price is rocketing downwards atm? Because the thief is dumping all the stolen coins?

agreed, however, I don't believe for a minute that the malleability issue has been the cause of this theft. I think it's more to do with $44million in the hands of the people who run silk road, and they'll simply bring the marketplace back up, and do it all over again. The same thing happened with BMR (Black Market Reloaded) and also Sheep... way before the excuse of the malleability was proffered.
Pages:
Jump to: