Pages:
Author

Topic: Silk Road Operator Ross Ulbricht to Be Sentenced Today - page 5. (Read 4875 times)

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
I think is much worst than a quickly and secure death after some months/years of jail, much better to do a life inside jail… I will become CRAZY!  Shocked

Yes. A life without parole is as bad as the death sentence. He is just 31 years old. He is going to spend another 50 years or so in prison, with hardy any interaction with the outside world. For someone who was very active in the internet sector, it will be extremely difficult. Nowadays, the death sentences are also carried out with a 30-35 year delay. That is even worse.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1001
very high punishment, because for terrorist or some other killers, there is directly an execution,without pain! In this case, there is the terrible message inside the guilty that is: You never can go out from here!
I think is much worst than a quickly and secure death after some months/years of jail, much better to do a life inside jail… I will become CRAZY!  Shocked
Activity: 728
Merit: 501
The US is probably just annoyed that he didn't funnel his money through the US banking system like all good drug dealers, money launderers and weapons sellers do.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
Life in prison without parole.  He'll never set foot outside of prison again for the rest of his life.

Ross Ulbricht just became a martyr in his fight against exploitative bankers. Anyway... individuals are not important. The fight will continue. The banking cartel will eventually be destroyed.

Reminds me of the revolutionary Thomas Sankara, who was murdered by the CIA in 1987. A few days before his murder, he said: "While revolutionaries as individuals can be murdered, you cannot kill ideas"
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
be your self

Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht sentenced to life in prison

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/29/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-sentenced

<< Ross Ulbricht, the man behind illegal online drug emporium Silk Road, was sentenced to life in prison on Friday by Judge Katherine Forrest of Manhattan's US district court for the southern district of New York. Before the sentencing the parents of the victims of drug overdoses addressed the court. Ulbricht broke down in tears. "I never wanted that to happen", he said. "I wish I could go back and convince myself to take a different path."

The 31-year-old physics graduate and former boy scout was handed five sentences: one for 20 years, one for 15 years, one for five and two for life. All are to be served concurrently with no chance of parole. The judge handed out the most severe sentence available to the man US authorities identified as "Dread Pirate Roberts", pseudonymous founder of an Amazon-like online market for illegal goods. >>

That's some sentence. What a waste of such capabilities.
Unfortunate to see people choosing such paths. I guess that's just the way it goes..
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
Life in prison without parole.  He'll never set foot outside of prison again for the rest of his life.

I wonder if this will deter other scammers, or do most people think they will never be caught, like he did?

I'm sorry, I am not up to date on this story.  Did he scam people or did he just operate silk road?
Activity: 138
Merit: 100

I wonder if this will deter other scammers, or do most people think they will never be caught, like he did?

Most people think they will never be caught.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht sentenced to life in prison

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/may/29/silk-road-ross-ulbricht-sentenced

<< Ross Ulbricht, the man behind illegal online drug emporium Silk Road, was sentenced to life in prison on Friday by Judge Katherine Forrest of Manhattan's US district court for the southern district of New York. Before the sentencing the parents of the victims of drug overdoses addressed the court. Ulbricht broke down in tears. "I never wanted that to happen", he said. "I wish I could go back and convince myself to take a different path."

The 31-year-old physics graduate and former boy scout was handed five sentences: one for 20 years, one for 15 years, one for five and two for life. All are to be served concurrently with no chance of parole. The judge handed out the most severe sentence available to the man US authorities identified as "Dread Pirate Roberts", pseudonymous founder of an Amazon-like online market for illegal goods. >>
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
"Statists gonna state."

Two life terms from a judge in the Land of the Free. Because real freedom is a Bad Thing.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
hyperboria - next internet
Convicted Silk Road operator Ross Ulbricht faces life in prison at a sentencing hearing tomorrow in New York.

The end of the trial comes more than a year and a half after Ulbricht's legal battle with the US government first began. Ulbricht was found guilty in February of narcotics, computer hacking and conspiracy charges in connection with his operation of the Silk Road black market.

As reported by Wired, prosecutors asked the court earlier this week that Ulbricht be given "a lengthy sentence" to dissuade other would-be dark market operators.

“The court thus has an opportunity to send a clear message to anyone tempted to follow his example that the operation of these illegal enterprises comes with severe consequences," the letter read.

In a separate letter addressed to US District Judge Katherine Forrest, Ulbricht asked to be spared from life in prison, acknowledging the severity of his actions but seeking a degree of leniency.

"I've had my youth, and I know you must take away my middle years, but please leave me my old age," he wrote. "Please leave a small light at the end of the tunnel, an excuse to stay healthy, an excuse to dream of better days and a chance to redeem myself in the free world before I meet my maker."

http://www.coindesk.com/silk-road-operator-ross-ulbricht-sentenced/
Pages:
Jump to: