Pages:
Author

Topic: Silkroad closed down. Owner Arrested. - page 2. (Read 9649 times)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
October 02, 2013, 05:32:20 PM
I had sold most of my btc yesterday when the trend was failing but still held some and lost money thanks to some trolls on here posting "the news is fake" , "look at the shadows and the camel", "DPR is making a joke about the government shut down", etc. Fuck you!
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
October 02, 2013, 05:17:53 PM
So the crash was caused by good news?  lol  Smiley

or by huge sales amounts. which i believe can be confiscated wallets as written in the report. why not sell and pay off part of us govt debt?

If they held onto them for a few years, they could pay off the entire national debt with them!

You clearly don't have good comprehension of the liabilities the US government is facing...

Or I'm incredibly bullish!

Pretty bullish to aim for 100 trillion dollars.

Um.... in what world does the USG owe $100 trillion?

And in what world does 26,000 BTC = 1 BTC?
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
October 02, 2013, 05:12:52 PM

or by huge sales amounts. which i believe can be confiscated wallets as written in the report. why not sell and pay off part of us govt debt?

If they held onto them for a few years, they could pay off the entire national debt with them!

You clearly don't have good comprehension of the liabilities the US government is facing...

Pretty bullish to aim for 100 trillion dollars.
Activity: 658
Merit: 504
October 02, 2013, 04:49:50 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/10/02/silk_road_s_dread_pirate_ross_ulbricht_asked_stack_overflow_question_under.html

Ross William Ulbricht, indicted for allegedly running the online contraband marketplace Silk Road, wasn't above asking for a little programming help when he needed it.

Even the finest programmers could use a little help from their friends on Stack Overflow now and then. The site, which invites users to ask and answer one another’s questions about specific coding problems, has become a global hub for software engineers, catering to pros and amateurs alike. Silk Road mastermind “Dread Pirate Roberts,” it seems, was no exception.

According to the criminal complaint against Ross William Ulbricht, the man who allegedly ran the vast online drug marketplace from his San Francisco apartment, he ventured humbly onto the site in March 2012 to ask a couple of friendly questions. The first one, it seems, was relatively innocuous, if a bit unorthodox. But a second query struck FBI investigators as rather incriminating, in retrospect: “How can I connect to a Tor ****** service using curl in php?”, the user asked. Silk Road is, of course, a Tor ****** service—perhaps the world’s most famous one at that.
But here’s the facepalm-worthy part: According to the criminal complaint, Ulbricht posted the question using his own real name. Less than one minute later, he changed his username to “frosty.” And then, one assumes, banged his head against a hard wall several times.

According to the complaint, the Stack Overflow post served as key evidence for authorities trying to link Ulbricht to Silk Road. From the complaint:

Based on forensic analysis of the Silk Road Web Server, I know that the computer code ... includes a customized PHP strip based on 'curl' that is functionally very similar to the computer code described in Ulbricht's posting on Stack Overflow, and includes several lines of code that are identical to lines of code quoted in the posting.
Oh, and the encryption key on the Silk Road server ended with the substring "frosty@frosty." Whoops.
Frosty’s account lives on at Stack Overflow, where you can inspect his code and pass judgment on his chops if you’re so inclined. And while this won’t appear anywhere in the criminal charges against Ulbricht, the court of computer-programmer opinion may duly note that he asked two questions on the site, but didn’t take the trouble to answer anyone else’s.

This.
Activity: 504
WTF???
October 02, 2013, 04:47:56 PM
Really bizarre that someone so successful and so paranoid did something so utterly stupid.  Hubris?  He got away with it for 30 months so he figured he was invulnerable.  In Iraq units generally suffer higher than normal casualties in the first and last month of a deployment.  The early casualties are due to inexperience and the later ones due to overconfidence.

There doesn't seem to be just one mistake, but a few. Seems there was a pattern of not being able to keep his identity unknown.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
October 02, 2013, 04:45:40 PM
Really bizarre that someone so successful and so paranoid did something so utterly stupid.  Hubris?  He got away with it for 30 months so he figured he was invulnerable.  In Iraq units generally suffer higher than normal casualties in the first and last month of a deployment.  The early casualties are due to inexperience and the later ones due to overconfidence.
legendary
Activity: 1212
Merit: 1037
October 02, 2013, 04:38:57 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/10/02/silk_road_s_dread_pirate_ross_ulbricht_asked_stack_overflow_question_under.html

Ross William Ulbricht, indicted for allegedly running the online contraband marketplace Silk Road, wasn't above asking for a little programming help when he needed it.

Even the finest programmers could use a little help from their friends on Stack Overflow now and then. The site, which invites users to ask and answer one another’s questions about specific coding problems, has become a global hub for software engineers, catering to pros and amateurs alike. Silk Road mastermind “Dread Pirate Roberts,” it seems, was no exception.

According to the criminal complaint against Ross William Ulbricht, the man who allegedly ran the vast online drug marketplace from his San Francisco apartment, he ventured humbly onto the site in March 2012 to ask a couple of friendly questions. The first one, it seems, was relatively innocuous, if a bit unorthodox. But a second query struck FBI investigators as rather incriminating, in retrospect: “How can I connect to a Tor ****** service using curl in php?”, the user asked. Silk Road is, of course, a Tor ****** service—perhaps the world’s most famous one at that.
But here’s the facepalm-worthy part: According to the criminal complaint, Ulbricht posted the question using his own real name. Less than one minute later, he changed his username to “frosty.” And then, one assumes, banged his head against a hard wall several times.

According to the complaint, the Stack Overflow post served as key evidence for authorities trying to link Ulbricht to Silk Road. From the complaint:

Based on forensic analysis of the Silk Road Web Server, I know that the computer code ... includes a customized PHP strip based on 'curl' that is functionally very similar to the computer code described in Ulbricht's posting on Stack Overflow, and includes several lines of code that are identical to lines of code quoted in the posting.
Oh, and the encryption key on the Silk Road server ended with the substring "frosty@frosty." Whoops.
Frosty’s account lives on at Stack Overflow, where you can inspect his code and pass judgment on his chops if you’re so inclined. And while this won’t appear anywhere in the criminal charges against Ulbricht, the court of computer-programmer opinion may duly note that he asked two questions on the site, but didn’t take the trouble to answer anyone else’s.

Activity: 778
Merit: 1002
October 02, 2013, 04:38:11 PM
Any recent major transactions that show the feds have actually taken the funds?
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
October 02, 2013, 04:33:37 PM
Bitcoin too big for this event to make a significant drop in price.

IMO the most interesting question is how was SR busted.
From what I've read the owner was very cautious. Is the TOR network broken?

seems, no. :-)

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.568744
Hello, sorry if there is another thread for this kind of post, but I couldn't find one.  I'm looking for the best and brightest IT pro in the bitcoin community to be the lead developer in a venture backed bitcoin startup company.  The ideal candidate would have at least several years of web application development experience, having built applications from the ground up.  A solid understanding of oop and software architecture is a must.  Experience in a start-up environment is a plus, or just being super hard working, self-motivated, and creative.

Compensation can be in the form of equity or a salary, or somewhere in-between.

If interested, please send your answers to the following questions to rossulbricht at gmail dot com

1) What are your qualifications for this position?
2) What interests you about bitcoin?

From there, we can talk about things like compensation and references and I can answer your questions as well.  Thanks in advance to any interested parties.  If anyone knows another good place to recruit, I am all ears.

[email protected]
WTF???
October 02, 2013, 04:33:29 PM

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
October 02, 2013, 04:31:58 PM
"All told, the site has generated sales revenue totaling over 9.5 million Bitcoins and collected commissions from these sales totaling over 600,000 Bitcoins. Although the value of Bitcoins has varied significantly during the site's lifetime, these figures are roughly equivalent today to approximately $1.2 billion in sales and approximately $80 million in commissions."

Does this mean that 600,000 BTC (give or take) is off the "market"?  Holy crap - if those coins are gone, the value could skyrocket!

legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3074
October 02, 2013, 04:21:41 PM
Three onions domains are closed:
http://[removed].onion

But another two silkroad's clones are up:

http://[removed].onion - The Silk Road Anonymous Market

http://[removed].onion - Silk Road forums - Index

Honey trap or Dead Man's Switch? Time will tell...

I think I'm cancelling my Silk Road speedball subscription for now  Grin
Activity: 322
October 02, 2013, 04:17:28 PM
Three onions domains are closed:

But another two silkroad's clones are up:

http://[removed].onion - The Silk Road Anonymous Market

http://[removed].onion - Silk Road forums - Index

Edit: links removed, is it logical in this light? By the links you can get FBI's jpg. And two unknown clones of silk.
Activity: 364
October 02, 2013, 04:06:35 PM

Activity: 734
October 02, 2013, 03:55:26 PM

Of Course, "Sell on good News!"
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
October 02, 2013, 03:53:52 PM

fund the cia black ops.
WTF???
October 02, 2013, 03:48:02 PM

Activity: 294
October 02, 2013, 03:43:05 PM

Activity: 622
October 02, 2013, 03:41:12 PM
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029
October 02, 2013, 03:40:57 PM
Is anyone curious as to why the SR logo is in the background of the seizure notice?? In past FBI seizure's the logo has never appeared.

Do an images search for domain seized. They have FBI logos on them, all the agencies involved. I've never seen the company that they seized their logo in the background, and have never seen it for a hidden service.

I think they are so FUCKING PROUD of having shut down SR that they couldn't resist to leave a camel there. "Hey we did it! Fuck you all!"
Pages:
Jump to: