Pages:
Author

Topic: Small time miners - What do you do when ASICs hit and you don't upgrade? - page 2. (Read 10086 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Crypto Somnium
keep on mining PPcoin  Cheesy
Activity: 11
Merit: 0

When bitcoin hits mainstream, the block reward will be small and mining profit comes from transaction fees. Transaction fees are partially based on size already, and in the future I believe that it will increasingly depend on size.

I would love to know the percentage of people involved in BTC that are not:

A) Miners
B) Speculators

What do we think the percentage of people using BTC are actually 'using' BTC.

That's something that I'd be interested to know too. Right now, it looks like a lot of interest in Bitcoin is there purely for mining and speculation.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250

When bitcoin hits mainstream, the block reward will be small and mining profit comes from transaction fees. Transaction fees are partially based on size already, and in the future I believe that it will increasingly depend on size.

I would love to know the percentage of people involved in BTC that are not:

A) Miners
B) Speculators

What do we think the percentage of people using BTC are actually 'using' BTC.
Odi
Activity: 73
Merit: 10
again, look at how many transactions are with satoshidice, compared to p2pool, p2pool is like 0.1% or even less...

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.

if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
You do realize that p2pool isn't the only pool to distribute blocks directly to miners?

No I didn't realize.  But I've only mined in 2 pools ever, and I haven't studied how each pool works

if p2pool finds every block

A virtual impossibility.

I realize that, but even if it is a block every hour or every other block, the overhead is still there.  And you yourself brought up that other pools do direct payment, so if you combine all pools that do this, and combined they find every other block, my thought process is still valid.
again, look at how many transactions are with satoshidice, compared to p2pool, p2pool is like 0.1% or even less...
Odi
You do realize that p2pool isn't the only pool to distribute blocks directly to miners?

No I didn't realize.  But I've only mined in 2 pools ever, and I haven't studied how each pool works

A virtual impossibility.

I realize that, but even if it is a block every hour or every other block, the overhead is still there.  And you yourself brought up that other pools do direct payment, so if you combine all pools that do this, and combined they find every other block, my thought process is still valid.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
Im most likeley going to end up "out of the mining game" because I dont have acces to competitive electricity-rates. But I started a small bitcoin buisness and will see if I can grow: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/btc-trinkets-btc-tiepins-cufflinks-lapel-pins-keychain-money-clip-120686
looks good, best of luck with the venture Smiley
we need more things to do with our coins Cheesy
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Items flashing here available at btctrinkets.com
Im most likeley going to end up "out of the mining game" because I dont have acces to competitive electricity-rates. But I started a small bitcoin buisness and will see if I can grow: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/btc-trinkets-btc-tiepins-cufflinks-lapel-pins-keychain-money-clip-120686
Activity: 350
  A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

This is not really true, as some of the energy get's converted into noise. For all intents and purposes this is correct though Wink.

The noise get converted to heat too.  Not much heat but still heat.  It's all heat in the end.

But isn't it the transformer outside (on a pole, in a box, or underground) that is likely to heat up most from noise?  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.

A virtual impossibility.
Odi
well if you mine for fun then you want to see some BTC coming in dont you? so why not picking the pool with the most payout Smiley

If my ASIC pre-order never ships and others ship, I may point my GPUs to p2pool.  But if it arrives, then I will probably take out my GPUs and put the nVidia one back in.

I don't think I would point my ASIC at p2pool since I haven't really studied the effects of increasing your own difficulty for the benefit of the smaller guys in the pool.
Activity: 451
  A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

This is not really true, as some of the energy get's converted into noise. For all intents and purposes this is correct though Wink.

The noise get converted to heat too.  Not much heat but still heat.  It's all heat in the end.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0

legendary
/dev/null
p2pool is only a way to make sure you get more regular payouts than solo mining.  If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?

People are already complaining that the blockchain is big and hard to download, p2pool is accelerating that because of all the small transactions per block found
im sry but this is total BS (bullshit), first take a look at how p2pool works and after that compare it with other websites/projects. The biggest transaction spammer is still SatoshiDice. 50-100 Transactions per 4-20 hours isnt alot for p2pool...

I did look at how p2pool works.  That's why it took me a day before responding instead of just pulling BS out of nowhere, because p2pool piqued my interest.

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.  Now granted I did not know about SatoshiDice when posting the above statement, but this is the rationale behind my statement when looking at it purely from a miner perspective:

With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.  So if mining was only done with p2pool and no centralized pools or solo miners, then every block found would have that extra set of addresses, and the blockchain would be much larger.

Granted right now, it could be 50-100 addresses every 4-20 hours (I didn't look into the numbers, but that is what you said).  But my thought process is if p2pool finds every block, difficulty of main-net is 1 block every 10 minutes, difficulty of p2pool-net is 1 block every 10 seconds.  That means average work for a block is 60, and so each main-net block has up to 180 unique addresses to pay to.  That is 3600 bytes just in the addresses compared to 20 bytes, with 1400 more bytes to represent the actual bitcoin amount to send to each versus 8 bytes.  That is over half a megabyte extra every day regardless of any transactions done.

Finally, note I said If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions? in my original post.  I like the idea of p2pool much better than centralized pools because it is better for network security.  So I think that half a megabyte every day is worth it for network security considering the size of the rest of the transactions.  But if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)
as for now it arent alot of transactions and i think it will stay that way since ppls dont really want to set it up nor understand backgrounds etc. the problem with the huge blockchain already exists and therefore i hope we find a good solution soon.
im sry if i insulted u in any way Wink

If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?
well if you mine for fun then you want to see some BTC coming in dont you? so why not picking the pool with the most payout Smiley
Odi
p2pool is only a way to make sure you get more regular payouts than solo mining.  If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions?

People are already complaining that the blockchain is big and hard to download, p2pool is accelerating that because of all the small transactions per block found
im sry but this is total BS (bullshit), first take a look at how p2pool works and after that compare it with other websites/projects. The biggest transaction spammer is still SatoshiDice. 50-100 Transactions per 4-20 hours isnt alot for p2pool...

I did look at how p2pool works.  That's why it took me a day before responding instead of just pulling BS out of nowhere, because p2pool piqued my interest.

There is a key difference between SatoshiDice, which is an application of bitcoin that pays transaction fees, and p2pool, which is a miner that is paid transaction fees and generates coins.  Now granted I did not know about SatoshiDice when posting the above statement, but this is the rationale behind my statement when looking at it purely from a miner perspective:

With p2pool, each block found has an extra set of addresses to distribute the block to the peers.  With a centralized pool or solo miner, there is only one address to reward the block reward and fees to.  So if mining was only done with p2pool and no centralized pools or solo miners, then every block found would have that extra set of addresses, and the blockchain would be much larger.

Granted right now, it could be 50-100 addresses every 4-20 hours (I didn't look into the numbers, but that is what you said).  But my thought process is if p2pool finds every block, difficulty of main-net is 1 block every 10 minutes, difficulty of p2pool-net is 1 block every 10 seconds.  That means average work for a block is 60, and so each main-net block has up to 180 unique addresses to pay to.  That is 3600 bytes just in the addresses compared to 20 bytes, with 1400 more bytes to represent the actual bitcoin amount to send to each versus 8 bytes.  That is over half a megabyte extra every day regardless of any transactions done.

Finally, note I said If you don't care about the payouts and are just mining for fun, then why load the network with more transactions? in my original post.  I like the idea of p2pool much better than centralized pools because it is better for network security.  So I think that half a megabyte every day is worth it for network security considering the size of the rest of the transactions.  But if you don't care about more regular payouts, then solo mining is still better for the network (both in terms of security and blockchain size)
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I plan on picking up a few 7970s for dirt cheap either here or on ebay when the market gets flooded with people getting out of GPU mining. Maybe a 2nd for crossfire. Maybe throw one in my brother's computer to replace his 7770. Who knows?!
+1

Basically.
legendary
/dev/null
why solo mine? just join p2pool Smiley

Activity: 70
I plan on picking up a few 7970s for dirt cheap either here or on ebay when the market gets flooded with people getting out of GPU mining. Maybe a 2nd for crossfire. Maybe throw one in my brother's computer to replace his 7770. Who knows?!
+1
Activity: 373
I will buy old gpu's, and use them to heat my house =D
It's cold and rainy where I live, and heating is useful everywhere!
I figure 10 kwh through video cards is better returns than 10 kwh through heaters =/

Ah, yes and no. Smiley  Heaters will probably give you more efficient conversion of power to heat compared to the cards, but it might be close. Smiley

For converting electrical energy to heat, almost any device is effective because it's basically the "waste" that's heat. Gas -> heat is still more cost-effective though.

It is more cost effective to use GPUs as a heat source if your house does not have gas infrastructure.  A 10kW electric furnace produces the same amount of heat equivalent to 10 kW of GPUs. 

You can just pipe all the heat produced into the fan that can distribute heat to the vents of your house.
Pages:
Jump to: