Pages:
Author

Topic: Smart Contract in Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 4677 times)

Ucy
Activity: 2576
Merit: 401
October 07, 2017, 03:22:30 AM
Developers probably waiting for other upgrades like Lightening Network to happen before implementing a smart contract?

Activity: 108
Merit: 10
Making Blockchain Safer for Everyday Use
October 06, 2017, 11:28:57 AM
Bitcoin does not need to have smart contract ... more does not mean better. It's value proposition is that it is a simple store of value and transferable coin. It does not need to add more functions which it cannot handle as it cannot scale at this stage. That is just my point of view. Others may not likely agree.
Activity: 86
October 06, 2017, 07:15:44 AM
If bitcoin introduces the smart contracts then I think the value of Etherium might dip. Etherium was solely built because bitcoin did not have smart contracts.

No. It is not smart contracts that gives Ethereum its value, but ICO speculation. There is a difference there. ICOs do not necessarily have to be "smart contracts" or "dapps". Most of them are nothing but tokens issued and traded that are backed by nothing but a whitepaper.

I agree. Plus the value of Ethereum is also the wide options that is offering in the blockchain world, for Bitcoin to reach the level of Ethereum still will need to walk a long path.
Activity: 84
October 06, 2017, 04:48:47 AM
i also read that article but few people agree on that .
and even i think that its not possible for now to make a smartcontract  in bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1823
October 06, 2017, 01:15:14 AM
If bitcoin introduces the smart contracts then I think the value of Etherium might dip. Etherium was solely built because bitcoin did not have smart contracts.

No. It is not smart contracts that gives Ethereum its value, but ICO speculation. There is a difference there. ICOs do not necessarily have to be "smart contracts" or "dapps". Most of them are nothing but tokens issued and traded that are backed by nothing but a whitepaper.
Activity: 485
Merit: 250
October 05, 2017, 02:54:30 PM
RSK is coming by the end of the year and CIVIC plans to use RSK.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 644
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
October 05, 2017, 12:11:37 PM
The smart contracting options are already in all the coins, it not a feature thing really. It is a matter that no one bothers to use half of what these coins can do. They sue what they need and then ignore the rest, but it still there and always had been.

There are ways to do wild things with BTC and you will eventually see many of them.
Activity: 347
Merit: 109
September 28, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
Also there was counter party back in the day.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Transcodium - The Future of Transcoding
September 28, 2017, 03:41:46 PM
RSK brings smart contracts to Bitcoins as a sidechain. Check rsk.co

RSK code has been open sourced long ago.

You can check its github repo: https://github.com/RSKSmart

The test network has been alive for more than a year! working as a sidechain to the Bitcoin Testnet.

Production launch will be close to the end of the year.

Looks promising
Activity: 22
Merit: 0
September 28, 2017, 02:22:03 PM
Smart contacts will be very useful in real estate. Problems related to payments to a broker or advertising firms are reduced to zero, as the Blockchain ledger would help contacted directly by the tenant, without intermediaries.
Activity: 552
Merit: 622
September 28, 2017, 11:21:10 AM
RSK brings smart contracts to Bitcoins as a sidechain. Check rsk.co

RSK code has been open sourced long ago.

You can check its github repo: https://github.com/RSKSmart

The test network has been alive for more than a year! working as a sidechain to the Bitcoin Testnet.

Production launch will be close to the end of the year.

Activity: 12
September 28, 2017, 06:36:37 AM
This is quite expected and I think that this will not lead to any consequences other than a increase in the market cap of cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 347
Merit: 109
September 27, 2017, 10:45:14 PM
You should look at CommerceBlock.  They are implementing that technology.  www.commerceblock.com
Activity: 52
September 27, 2017, 10:39:46 PM
According to this: https://www.coindesk.com/smart-contracts-bitcoin-lightnings-tadge-dryja-working/ article, smart contract like feature might happen on bitcoin, wouldn't that be great? what is your view on that?

what would be the benefit for bitcoint to impliment smart-contract ?

The idea is that Bitcoin is "old tech". by adding smart contracts it now competes with "new tech" Ethereum.
Activity: 138
Merit: 100
September 27, 2017, 09:35:50 PM
According to this: https://www.coindesk.com/smart-contracts-bitcoin-lightnings-tadge-dryja-working/ article, smart contract like feature might happen on bitcoin, wouldn't that be great? what is your view on that?

what would be the benefit for bitcoint to impliment smart-contract ?
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
September 27, 2017, 09:51:35 AM
Bitcoin ALREADY has opportunity to create smart contracts. BUT: Bitcoin uses Script programming language which is not  Turing complete, so it is very hard to code something on it. Ethereum has high level programming languages like Solidity, Serpent (As i know Serpent will be replaced by Viper in near future) and it's very easy to create smart contracts on it.

[...]

It is worth noting that while it is easy to write smart contracts on Ethereum, it is still very hard to write a bug-free smart contract. Hence the parity hack and what happened to the DAO. Easy to write more often than not translates to easy to fail. If your web app fails -- aw well, just fix it. If your non-reversible multi-million-dollar smart contract fails, that's less fun.

Restrictive scripting and programming languages are much safer in that regard and exist for a reason.
Activity: 1344
Merit: 307
September 27, 2017, 07:40:27 AM
On top of that, until bitcoin confirmation speeds can improve, I dont think it would be wise to have dapps just yet. Maybe stuff for things like escrow, and other things that a smart contract could make use of, but in terms of tokens (as we see on with eth), probably wont be wise.
Activity: 377
Merit: 282
Finis coronat opus
September 25, 2017, 03:44:01 PM

Yes, it's true. But whether bitcoin can make a smart contract? I don't think so. Ethereum this is a smart contract.. not Bitcoin

Bitcoin ALREADY has opportunity to create smart contracts. BUT: Bitcoin uses Script programming language which is not  Turing complete, so it is very hard to code something on it. Ethereum has high level programming languages like Solidity, Serpent (As i know Serpent will be replaced by Viper in near future) and it's very easy to create smart contracts on it.

But you can use any bitcoin framework (for languages like Python or C++ ) and try to create something which will be more or less looks like a smart contract.
Activity: 22
September 25, 2017, 03:11:32 PM
The various "Colored coins" projects were attempting to create a robust smart contract framework for Bitcoin, but because of the difficulty and/or dissatisfaction with their efforts, the Ethereum project was born. Smart contracts may be able to be rooted in Bitcoin but operated through a secondary layer, but robust, pure on-chain smart contracts are not really possible right now in Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
September 25, 2017, 10:30:30 AM

Yes, it's true. But whether bitcoin can make a smart contract? I don't think so. Ethereum this is a smart contract.. not Bitcoin

Read OP and the first reply again. There's work being done on bringing smart contracts to Bitcoin via sidechains (ie. RSK) and other approaches. Their viability still remains to be seen however, as earlier attempts at bringing smart contracts to Bitcoin received only luke-warm reception so far once the initial hype subsided -- XCP and Omni (FKA Mastercoin) come to mind.
Pages:
Jump to: