Pages:
Author

Topic: So I got an interview with Sonny Vleisides from BFL... - page 3. (Read 8686 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Comparing Bill Gate's conviction of driving without a license with the large mail fraud operation, where Sonny was a major operator, and suggesting that there should be some similarity in the reactions to each is not a solid argument.  Attempting to equate a minor misdemeanor with multiple counts of Federal fraud charges is both qualitatively and quantitatively way, way out in left field - maybe somewhere around Alpha Centauri.

Valid point. I should probably find a better example for comparison there.

It also does no-one's credibility any good to dismiss a very long-term, aggressively marketed fraud as "a youthful indiscretion".  You regain trust by owning up to what you did, not by trying to minimise it (it sure as hell wasn't "jurisdictional arbitrage" which got Sonny into trouble).

That said, the information is now out there and people need to make up their own minds.  There's no point in those who choose not to deal with BFL mounting a crusade to try to convince others to boycott BFL.

I feel the need to ensure it's clear that "youthful indiscretion" were my words, not Sonny's. Poorly chosen? Perhaps.

It's an issue that a lot of folks have become very emotional about and I thought it deserved the closest thing to fair and unbiased reporting I could give it. You know my conclusion and you're free to draw your own.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
BFL in its entirety is being dragged through the mud because of the checkered past of one employee.

The hiding of the fraud conviction of a primary company officer is just the next item in a long list of questionable activities.

We've all seen the mug shot of Bill Gates, yet no one feared that he was going to tank Microsoft and run away with the cash - not because we trust old Billy that much, but because he's operating within a system that was explicitly designed to prevent him from doing so. BFL operates within exactly the same sort of system.

No comparison. Microsoft is a public company, and as such is under far stricter rules than a private company. For example, the entire list of Microsoft board of directors is:

Steve  Ballmer
Dina  Dublon
Bill  Gates
Raymond V.  Gilmartin
Reed  Hastings
Maria M.  Klawe
Stephen J.  Luczo
David F.  Marquardt
Charles H.  Noski
Dr. Helmut  Panke
John W.  Thompson

a big structured organization of 22 people with a board of directors

And what are the names of the individuals on the board?
Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
Comparing Bill Gate's conviction of driving without a license with the large mail fraud operation, where Sonny was a major operator, and suggesting that there should be some similarity in the reactions to each is not a solid argument.  Attempting to equate a minor misdemeanor with multiple counts of Federal fraud charges is both qualitatively and quantitatively way, way out in left field - maybe somewhere around Alpha Centauri.

It also does no-one's credibility any good to dismiss a very long-term, aggressively marketed fraud as "a youthful indiscretion".  You regain trust by owning up to what you did, not by trying to minimise it (it sure as hell wasn't "jurisdictional arbitrage" which got Sonny into trouble).

That said, the information is now out there and people need to make up their own minds.  There's no point in those who choose not to deal with BFL mounting a crusade to try to convince others to boycott BFL.

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Inactive
After all the mud-slinging that's been going around, I thought it would be good to have a chat with the elusive Sonny Vleisides so I spent a bit trying to get in touch with him and much to my surprise he responded and gave me an excellent interview.

http://codinginmysleep.com/interview-with-sonny-vleisides/

Thanks for the interview.

Two thoughts.

Taken at face value the information regarding the corporate structure of BFL does offer some reassurance that BFL's corporate account balance would not just simply disappear.

Attempting to establish risk of doing business based on -any type- of convictions of high level exec's or co-founders is not a solid argument.

After all the mud-slinging that's been going around, I thought it would be good to have a chat with the elusive Sonny Vleisides so I spent a bit trying to get in touch with him and much to my surprise he responded and gave me an excellent interview.

http://codinginmysleep.com/interview-with-sonny-vleisides/
Pages:
Jump to: