Pages:
Author

Topic: So...bitcoin is now a national currency ("nation" of 4 people) - page 4. (Read 7052 times)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10
This is great news to all the bitcoiners as I believe this will promote another price rise.

Would like to see China adopt BTC as their informal currency though.

Not in the near or medium future. The Chinese currency will devalue a lot when foreign money fly out of it.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017
I don't see how it matters if it is declared a currency by any governing body anywhere.  Bitcoin is a currency because WE say bitcoin is a currency.  It is not governed by any body, nor does any body have the power to control its value.  That is what makes bitcoin so special and empowering...it is a decentralized asset so we get to decide where we spend bitcoin, not any government or controlling agency anywhere.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
Indeed great news.  Being declared a national currency is good for the reputation and you can bet that other countries will watch and see how it goes with Portugal and possibly follow suit.  It could have a cascade effect that moves quicker than we think.
Activity: 70
It was always a national currency. At least in my heart.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019
Comon.. this is a joke.. Its a family of 4 people

Lol that sucks. I guess 4 citizens won't make much of a difference but it's a good place to start.
We need way more people to be aware and adapt to bitcoin for an actual change to happen.
Oh, really. if our bitcoins is recognized as a national currency then the time is not very far that the present bitcoins user will be the richest person at that time in future. if all the nation accept bitcoins same as dollars around the world. There will be demand and price rise of bitcoins.
Activity: 71
this is complete crap! I'm Portuguese and that island is basically a joke... the guy thinks he's a king of that place, or something like that, lol!

They will find out who is the real king when they start to not pay the taxes anymore.  Grin

BTW are they connected to the internet?!  Wink

well, yeah, i think there's cellular there ...

size matter here, i guess Grin Grin

Maybe you're right, Bitcoin is decentralized and freedom, not a government will start them can not control the money
[/quote]

haha, this is not about government! those guys on that island are basically in charge of nothing Grin

I guess I would rely with these because he is Portugese. He knows a lot better than us. If there are just few people there that is still not counted as a growth for bitcoin. Maybe worst could happen if they use it in different ways.

watching interviews from the guy who thinks he rules the palce is hialrious, he was on national TV once or twice, lol. actually a bit sad to see this related with BTC ...

Also no one actually lives there.

Here's a small video showing the "nation" insides:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cChgVc4FRA

And here's the king or prince:

lol hilarious haha, thanks for the amazing post pedrog Smiley Smiley Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

Pontinha is a tiny islet, about the size of a one-bedroom house, or smaller according to some visitors.
There are no shops on Pontinha, no commerce and no services. It is, more or less, a rock with a cave and a few ruins on it.

Pontinha is a micronation, not a country. A micronation is defined as a land mass that claims independence but isn’t recognized by any governing authority or state. What that means, is that Pontinha isn’t a nation at all, outside of the minds of the small population that claim citizenship to the island.

And just how small is that population? When Pontinha first grabbed media attention it claimed four citizens, none of whom lived on Pontinha full time. While that number may have increased recently, there are no indications that anyone “lives” in the micronation. Essentially, Bitcoin just became the “official currency” of a joke of a rogue nation state with a population between, depending on the time of day, zero and four people. (The article did mention that the population was four in 2014, but did not mention that none of the four people live there)

http://coinjournal.net/no-a-nation-did-not-just-adopt-bitcoin-as-its-national-currency/

It's a micro...what?

That's what Im saying. How is 4 people a nation?

You want to know what the greatest nation in the world is?

The Do-nation     1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa   badum tish

Thank you, thank you - I'll be playing here all week. Tell your friends.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
So this small island off of Portugal, Principality of the Pontinha, has been a sovereign nation by royal decree since the 1400s. It has been handed down and changed hands a few times. The current leader has decreed that bitcoin is the nation's official currency.

This could literally kick off a lot of things. Bitcoin would officially become a foreign currency for all nations.

Equador, which is the only country to actually pass a law banning Bitcoin (which the law only banned Bitcoin from running on its banking network) had a stipulation that it would be recognized if it became a national currency. So by passing such a law...they may have potentially forced themselves to recognize bitcoin as an official currency.

I wonder how US will deal with considering Bitcoin a commodity when it is officially a foreign currency as well.

http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/12/13/bitcoin-atlantis-currency/
so you are comparing US with small island off of Portugal? ah dont kidding,its can't be trusted news,nd really hard if you wish US will deal with bitcoin as near 2 years again.
and sometime i think ecuador will have many follower,i mean many more country banning bitcoin,anyway..use your bitcoin daily,and spread it to your town.
Activity: 278
Merit: 250

Pontinha is a tiny islet, about the size of a one-bedroom house, or smaller according to some visitors.
There are no shops on Pontinha, no commerce and no services. It is, more or less, a rock with a cave and a few ruins on it.

Pontinha is a micronation, not a country. A micronation is defined as a land mass that claims independence but isn’t recognized by any governing authority or state. What that means, is that Pontinha isn’t a nation at all, outside of the minds of the small population that claim citizenship to the island.

And just how small is that population? When Pontinha first grabbed media attention it claimed four citizens, none of whom lived on Pontinha full time. While that number may have increased recently, there are no indications that anyone “lives” in the micronation. Essentially, Bitcoin just became the “official currency” of a joke of a rogue nation state with a population between, depending on the time of day, zero and four people. (The article did mention that the population was four in 2014, but did not mention that none of the four people live there)

http://coinjournal.net/no-a-nation-did-not-just-adopt-bitcoin-as-its-national-currency/

It's a micro...what?

That's what Im saying. How is 4 people a nation?
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

It's a micro...what?
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

This is a great article!

Not very common to encounter a reality based article in bitcoinsphere.
Activity: 278
Merit: 250
So this small island off of Portugal, Principality of the Pontinha, has been a sovereign nation by royal decree since the 1400s. It has been handed down and changed hands a few times. The current leader has decreed that bitcoin is the nation's official currency.

This could literally kick off a lot of things. Bitcoin would officially become a foreign currency for all nations.

Equador, which is the only country to actually pass a law banning Bitcoin (which the law only banned Bitcoin from running on its banking network) had a stipulation that it would be recognized if it became a national currency. So by passing such a law...they may have potentially forced themselves to recognize bitcoin as an official currency.

I wonder how US will deal with considering Bitcoin a commodity when it is officially a foreign currency as well.

Doesn't matter to the real world. 4 citizens, Means no business to take bitcoin, no employees to pay in bitcoin. no bitcoin economy! This is a stupid story just to get some headlines.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
This sounds a little bit complicated to adopt no physical currency for any government because it required 100% internet access over the whole country with 100% knowledge how to use this for their daily use i think it will take more time to become more popular around globe.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Practically speaking it is actually impossible for a real country to adopt a no-physical currency system like BTC now, also how many countries accepted and announced that it's a country? is it a member of the un?. Countries would need to accept BTC as a foreign language only in these cases. Also the 2 posts above reply made me lose the slight interest I had, only 4 non-residing citizens?
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
This is just beginning of the new era although it became the national currency of the world smallest country but this is really big news so this would be wonderful step for other countries to follow this and adopt this revolutionary next generation crypto currency soon we will hear more big news about its adoption from marketing giant.
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
This is great news to all the bitcoiners as I believe this will promote another price rise.

Would like to see China adopt BTC as their informal currency though.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

Good to hear that bitcoin is a national currency of an country (that to tell the right, is the firs time that I hear its name). I cannot understand how will be able the govern of that country to manage the monetary policy and what will use the people of that country to buy the bread of every day, but if choosen mean that the responsible people who has made this has thought for everything. Anyhow I am curious to know how will continue this story. I am curious even to learn when will find them the needed bitcoin to maintain their administration. Which needed continuously. Without end.

I haven't found any data about this "country" in internet and cannot tell more. But seems something that make me smile. It is the the possible impact that will have such choice in the entire world according to the main poster. But really think him that a "country" about which don't exist any kind of data in internet will be able to have such impact in the world (including United States) as mentioned in its post?

Beh, I want that bitcoin be important but not ridiculous. Such choices may be good ones, but important only for them who made them. Pretend that a "country" with 5 or 6 people (like could be with to much probability this kind of country) have impact in the entire world (including United States) is a pure fiction. This "country" could have the same impact in the world like Liberland which has chosen before the above mentioned, bitcoin as a national currency (to tell the right I am not founding more news about this fact but I have read it when this country has declared the self-independence) and has only 1 person as inhabitant who is everything in that country.

I think that we must be more serious. United States are "banning" states like Russia with their international monetary policies and must accept bitcoin as a foreign currency only because a family or two (or even more) have decided to declare it as a "national" "personal" currency of themselves? Cannot comment more.
legendary
This is awesome news, is this the reason why bitcoin price has been increased a bit these days?

Good lord, ROFL
A pretty fair portion of our bitcoin community is so fucking dumb - it hurts.  I am starting to think something like 90% are complete imbeciles

Either that or in their very early teens.

Or maybe senile...?
legendary
Pages:
Jump to: