Pages:
Author

Topic: SOLAR ENERGY ? - page 4. (Read 3751 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
July 20, 2014, 03:15:37 AM
SOLAR ENERGY ?

LETS DISCUSS ABOUT SOLAR ENERGY?
BENEFITS OF SOLAR ENERGY ?

START NOW

free bitcoins (minus cost of equipment obviously)?

Well, yes, but the up-front equipment cost is huge.  Solar energy systems only pay off over many years of use.  One example I found with a quick Google search said $6-$8/watt installed, which led to a 10-year ROI for the system.  So you could install solar panels or buy an equivalent amount of electricity for a decade.  Do you think you'll be mining that long?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
July 19, 2014, 09:12:18 AM
SOLAR ENERGY ?

START NOW

free bitcoins (minus cost of equipment obviously)?
Activity: 162
Merit: 100
July 19, 2014, 03:20:24 AM
If you are talking about solar panels on your roof or something, it's certainly cleaner than oil and may be price competitive depending on your electric rates.

It's not so great as a power source overall, as far as powering a nation. Panels need replacing, and creating the panels themselves create a lot of toxic materials.

Thorium plants longterm is likely a better choice.
Activity: 297
Merit: 1
MINTER
July 19, 2014, 02:09:56 AM
SOLAR ENERGY ?

START NOW

IMO solar energy can give a boost to the bitcoin mining - it's environmentally-friendly and quiet cheap.
July 19, 2014, 01:24:30 AM
What about those people around here talking about those solar-streets? I guess that's nothing new, though... Those things also still need to be developed further. I mean, they'll have to endure great stress over a long time - something you can't just simulate in a lab. Also, they get dirty. Very dirty. There's a reason why streets are black  Cheesy
I've also heard of something like solar cell paint.  You can just apply the stuff to whatever you want to turn it into a solar collecting source: walls, roofs, etc.  If they could make that cheap and efficient, that would really be something.

Whoa, really? Got any sources? That's sick! Where do you harvest the actually collected energy? Just plug in the wires at some point of your painted area? Is this safe for people and the environment at all?
I'm not sure of all the details, but yes, I think you just attach a couple wires to key points.  I'm not sure of how toxic the chemicals would be.  I think the biggest obstacles have been efficiency and cost.  But they're working on it.  Just google something like "solar cell paint," and you'll get a whole bunch of articles.  For example:

http://cleantechnica.com/2013/05/15/caution-wet-solar-power-new-affordable-solar-paint-research/
http://www.cnet.com/news/new-nanotech-quantum-dots-to-make-solar-cells-lighter-cheaper/
Activity: 378
FURring bitcoin up since 1762
July 18, 2014, 10:55:36 AM
What about those people around here talking about those solar-streets? I guess that's nothing new, though... Those things also still need to be developed further. I mean, they'll have to endure great stress over a long time - something you can't just simulate in a lab. Also, they get dirty. Very dirty. There's a reason why streets are black  Cheesy
I've also heard of something like solar cell paint.  You can just apply the stuff to whatever you want to turn it into a solar collecting source: walls, roofs, etc.  If they could make that cheap and efficient, that would really be something.

Whoa, really? Got any sources? That's sick! Where do you harvest the actually collected energy? Just plug in the wires at some point of your painted area? Is this safe for people and the environment at all?
Activity: 286
July 18, 2014, 06:32:12 AM
I heard from news that there is a new and more efficient solar energy, hopefully it is cheaper also and it would bring the ROI close to 3 years if my calculation is right.
Activity: 392
Activity: 286
July 18, 2014, 05:59:46 AM
More then 7 years unless you can get it dirt cheap..
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2014, 03:02:25 AM
SOLAR energy is long term investment this will return your money within 5 years and the warranty of solar panel is 25 years

Bullshit.

ROI is 10+ years.

its 5+ years if you use with care

Wrong. I've calculated ROI multiple times in multiple areas. The only way you can even get close to 5 years is without including any sort of land cost or extra equipment. 5 years if you ONLY calculate for solar cells and building panels yourself. Just the cells and panel materials. No extra kit that converts the 12 volt DC to 120 volt AC is included in that ROI.
Activity: 294
July 18, 2014, 02:31:28 AM
SOLAR energy is long term investment this will return your money within 5 years and the warranty of solar panel is 25 years

Bullshit.

ROI is 10+ years.

its 5+ years if you use with care
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1000
July 18, 2014, 02:29:26 AM

Bullshit.

ROI is 10+ years.
Activity: 294
July 18, 2014, 02:12:26 AM
any site which is accepting BTC that we can buy solar products
July 17, 2014, 09:16:33 PM
Activity: 686
A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night
July 17, 2014, 08:46:56 PM
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 17, 2014, 06:37:57 PM
Hydro is the big green energy resource.

Solar and Wind are minor.

This site has a Free Clean Energy movement that actually makes practical sense and they list lots of major countries that are over 50% Hydro now. China has a lot of Hydro plants under construction. Green Clean and Free may be the future of Energy. They go by GREPA

www.Grepa.org

Cool concept, that we support 100% like Bitcoin. Bitcoin and Grepa may be two pivotal movements in human development.
July 17, 2014, 06:11:17 PM
but making the whole world run on solar power

wouldn't that make the electricity much more expensive?

Depends on the return on investment time, many claim around 5 years which would mean electricity prices could in theory be reduced to maintenance and infrastructure costs in that time, ie. a small fraction of current prices. Imho that's overly optimistic but it should certainly be possible for equatorial cities to get to that state within 20.
That's the main reason that we aren't using that much solar.
Or that they are thinking about is ROI and profiting.
Part of it is the initial investment cost.  Another part is that your weather and longitude matter.  You can't power a city on solar power when half the days of the year are cloudy, or if the sun is low on the horizon a good part of the day.  I've heard more like 20 years ROI, but it depends on where it's located, how efficient and expensive the panels are, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008
Keep it dense, yeah?
July 17, 2014, 05:48:14 PM
We have a solar panel installed on the roof of the house - this is in England of all places. It's alright, heats up the water nicely for showers. Obviously not enough to rely on but works well. It was installed on the property before we bought it, not sure if I would have taken the plunge personally.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
July 17, 2014, 05:30:26 PM
but making the whole world run on solar power

wouldn't that make the electricity much more expensive?

Depends on the return on investment time, many claim around 5 years which would mean electricity prices could in theory be reduced to maintenance and infrastructure costs in that time, ie. a small fraction of current prices. Imho that's overly optimistic but it should certainly be possible for equatorial cities to get to that state within 20.
That's the main reason that we aren't using that much solar.
Or that they are thinking about is ROI and profiting.
Activity: 350
July 17, 2014, 04:46:30 PM
i'd love to install solar pads on my home, but for now, it's really not cost effective.

Tell me cost of hot water for 5 Years in Your Home  Grin Grin Grin

I have now 150 liter of water at 71 C° for free. And in Summer is normal 90-97 C°.
Pages:
Jump to: