Pages:
Author

Topic: Some statistics on welfare - page 3. (Read 2519 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
June 23, 2014, 12:18:09 PM
The problem arises when these unproductive people have children. Cutting welfare benefits from these people means that their children are affected. If we can find a way do see that children are taken of and their parents are not maybe we can get people to be more productive.
Activity: 364
June 23, 2014, 12:13:00 PM
When people need assistance, really need it, they ought to get it because we are decent and kind people. But there are so many who scam the system or are trapped into becoming institutionalized that they resemble recidivist criminals who can't function in society and require the structure the state provides. Example:

EMS call for a sick teenager. Family in public housing project and on Medicaid. Presume that they are on food stamps and WIC for little ones. The persons on the Medicaid form included the following:

Grandma (in her early fifties if I am a judge of such things - I know better than to ask a lady!)

Mom (maybe around early thirties)

Elder daughter (17)

Son of elder daughter (3)

Daughter of elder daughter (1)

Younger daughter (15)

Younger daughter is pregnant in third trimester.

Six people, four last names on the Medicaid document. Their situation is a little extreme but by no means unusual. Grandma, Mom, and elder daughter all appear healthy, fit, (reasonably) sane, and able to work. None do. Are we really helping that family? I say we are not.
I agree , I've always like the idea that if a person is not totally disabled they should be required to do community service or some kind of productive work in order to receive assistance. Everyone wants to be a productive member of society don't they?
Not to mention they would be cutting our tax burden in the process.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
June 23, 2014, 09:27:58 AM
Is there paying work? Is there lack of work force?

As long as answer to those is no, there is no welfare problems.
Activity: 378
June 23, 2014, 08:47:27 AM
When people need assistance, really need it, they ought to get it because we are decent and kind people. But there are so many who scam the system or are trapped into becoming institutionalized that they resemble recidivist criminals who can't function in society and require the structure the state provides. Example:

EMS call for a sick teenager. Family in public housing project and on Medicaid. Presume that they are on food stamps and WIC for little ones. The persons on the Medicaid form included the following:

Grandma (in her early fifties if I am a judge of such things - I know better than to ask a lady!)

Mom (maybe around early thirties)

Elder daughter (17)

Son of elder daughter (3)

Daughter of elder daughter (1)

Younger daughter (15)

Younger daughter is pregnant in third trimester.

Six people, four last names on the Medicaid document. Their situation is a little extreme but by no means unusual. Grandma, Mom, and elder daughter all appear healthy, fit, (reasonably) sane, and able to work. None do. Are we really helping that family? I say we are not.
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
June 23, 2014, 08:33:21 AM
Many Americans seem to hold strong views on welfare but seldom can agree on the statistics. This website claims that only 4.1 % of Americans are on welfare while other sites claim its higher.  Many folks claim its predominantly blacks who are on welfare which as far as this site suggests is not the case at all. Some claim whole families have existed for generation on welfare but here it suggests that over 80% of those are supported with assistance for less than 5 years.

Like most everything in America today its political as well. Many conservative are against welfare and some want it abolished altogether. Many liberals support assistance and even want to see it increased. Many on both sides want to see firmer controls on who can and cannot collect and for how long. What do you think of these stats? Any surprises? Do you have others you think are more accurate? How do you feel about welfare? What are your views?

www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics
Your stats look pretty good ;  now if you could learn to read and comprehend; you'd understand what conservatives are talking about.  20% of the people who receive welfare are generational clients. That doesn't strike you as wrong?  ONE family in FIVE on welfare have made a career of it. Since this story is just talking about "welfare"; I'm guessing it doesn't include the chronic un-employed, or those that found a good "doctor" and are signed up for lifetime disability payments because they have a "personality disorder", or a "bad back" at age 27.  Also your stats show that over 55% of their "welfare" recipients are minorities-----  what percentage of the general population  do they represent?
Activity: 364
June 23, 2014, 05:06:59 AM
You really should listen to this radio conversation. I know you won't...but you really should.

She called in to brag about how she gets to sit home all day and she gets to ”visit my friends all day” as well as ”smoke weed” instead of working for a paycheck. The women claimed to be getting about $450 altogether in food stamps.

[She] told the radio host, “Can you really blame us?? The caller, Lucy, goes on to claim that while her husband works part-time, he doesn’t really work that much because “he doesn’t see the need for it.

…[She] goes on to ask an incredibly valid question, “Why should I work?” She also says, “We’re the one’s getting paid, can you really blame us?”

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/01/111112-listen-welfare-abuser-brag-stealing-money-taxpayers/
Activity: 448
June 23, 2014, 04:59:39 AM
There is nothing wrong with helping people when they need it.  But those that scam the system should be thrown off for life and do some jail time - that's just out and out theft.  food stamps should be used only for food - as is what they were intended for, not liquor, not lottery tickets, not for nude bars... food only....  Welfare should be a safety net, not a life time entitlement.
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
June 23, 2014, 04:00:13 AM
Many Americans seem to hold strong views on welfare but seldom can agree on the statistics. This website claims that only 4.1 % of Americans are on welfare while other sites claim its higher.  Many folks claim its predominantly blacks who are on welfare which as far as this site suggests is not the case at all. Some claim whole families have existed for generation on welfare but here it suggests that over 80% of those are supported with assistance for less than 5 years.

Like most everything in America today its political as well. Many conservative are against welfare and some want it abolished altogether. Many liberals support assistance and even want to see it increased. Many on both sides want to see firmer controls on who can and cannot collect and for how long. What do you think of these stats? Any surprises? Do you have others you think are more accurate? How do you feel about welfare? What are your views?

www.statisticbrain.com/welfare-statistics
Pages:
Jump to: