Pages:
Author

Topic: Someone is Jobbing this Market - page 3. (Read 7249 times)

Activity: 551
Merit: 500
June 16, 2011, 04:26:35 PM
Batten down the hatches, there's a storm brewing for the weekend.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
June 16, 2011, 03:33:13 PM
The trading in BTC is characteristically volatile, too much so, but for the past three days there are huge blocks of BTC swirling around the globe and the market is flat, not range bound but outright absolutely flat.  Who thinks this is normal? This to me is impossible (considering standard volitility) without large manipulation. We want a more stable market but this is flat lining, "the patient is now dead" price action is also dysfunctional for BTC. Too many questions, too much weirdness, not a natural market.

Someone is always jobbing a market, that's what markets do.  Get jobbed.  Either by the biggest fish in the sea or by the government or regulatory body.

If you are looking for a "free market" keep looking.  Let me know if you find one by the way, I'd love to see a mythological creature.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
June 16, 2011, 03:28:13 PM
I'm more concerned about the 9.3M BTC sent in the last 24 hours. That's 140% of the entire BTC economy, sent in less than 24 hours and not through exchanges.

See:
http://www.bitcoinwatch.com - Bitcoins sent last 24 hours

http://blockexplorer.com/ - Largest transactions (last 300 blocks) - Look at all these largest transactions - it's the exact same money being moved from address to address over and over again. Very weird.

Just a guess, but probably people freaking out about their own personal security measures after the heist.  Whether they're sending to wallet services, or to wallet files on thumbdrives, doesn't matter.  It's probably nothing more than people sending money to themselves in various ways.

Could be. If I had 50,000 BTC, a good way to make it hard for someone to steal would be to put it into 1000 different wallets and then encrypt them all.
Activity: 84
June 16, 2011, 03:26:21 PM
I'm more concerned about the 9.3M BTC sent in the last 24 hours. That's 140% of the entire BTC economy, sent in less than 24 hours and not through exchanges.

See:

http://blockexplorer.com/ - Largest transactions (last 300 blocks) - Look at all these largest transactions - it's the exact same money being moved from address to address over and over again. Very weird.

Just a guess, but probably people freaking out about their own personal security measures after the heist.  Whether they're sending to wallet services, or to wallet files on thumbdrives, doesn't matter.  It's probably nothing more than people sending money to themselves in various ways.

Sending from address A to address B makes sense under your umbrella.

Sending from address A to address B and back to address A, paying 50 something BTC on a ~9k transaction as an actual example, doesn't. At all.

At all.
Activity: 209
June 16, 2011, 03:21:44 PM

See:

Activity: 98
June 16, 2011, 03:02:04 PM

See:

legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
June 16, 2011, 02:50:24 PM
I though so to, but there is always some kind of drift in a range, In my years (looking at 10's thousands of charts) Ive never seen a flat lining effect like this after such a huge range of trade.

^^ This
Activity: 84
June 16, 2011, 02:46:16 PM
Its really sad when uninformed people abuse the word manipulation because they don't understand some basic fundamentals about a market (any market).

Please, teach us what these "basic fundamentals" are as relates to the BTC market...

...please, do.
Activity: 222
June 16, 2011, 02:30:04 PM
It's not going up because it still is overpriced after the huge rise. Probably it will go down again soon, don't worry.

I don't feel sorry for all people who saw Bruce Wagners "foot of a hockey stick" chart and believed they will get immensly rich in two weeks.
You are suckers.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
June 16, 2011, 02:27:50 PM
Maybe the world is not ready for a free market. They shout manipulation and speculation when prices rise quickly. They shout manipulation and nefariousness when prices fall quickly. And when prices stay flat? Manipulation, it must be!

I'll propose an alternative theory = Bitcoin is brand new, and will be extremely volatile and unpredictable for a long time. Part of true volatility is the 2nd order - even the volatility itself will be volatile! Stop obsessing with charts.

The monetary concept of Bitcoin is solid. So, too, is the technology. Given this, if you believe in Bitcoin go out and build businesses around it. Buy with it, sell with it, and trade with it. Stop worrying if the short-term dollar/btc exchange rate is not precisely where you think it should be. Let free markets be free, and enjoy the freedom, tumultuous (or flat) as it is.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
June 16, 2011, 02:26:03 PM
This kind of stable market has happened many times before in short time frames . Now if it is this stable still in July I would start to wonder what's up.
Activity: 56
June 16, 2011, 02:25:11 PM
The trading in BTC is characteristically volatile, too much so, but for the past three days there are huge blocks of BTC swirling around the globe and the market is flat, not range bound but outright absolutely flat.  Who thinks this is normal? This to me is impossible (considering standard volitility) without large manipulation. We want a more stable market but this is flat lining, "the patient is now dead" price action is also dysfunctional for BTC. Too many questions, too much weirdness, not a natural market.

You are the same person who also claimed:

It was artificial when there was a rally, then when the correction came it was also artificial and most recently you claimed to be hacked.

NO  Roll Eyes
Activity: 504
Merit: 502
June 16, 2011, 02:24:06 PM
Obvious manipulation is obvious. We need more exchanges. Why don't people use bitcoin-central.net? It is the only exchange for which we have the source, so that we can see that it isn't a pile of shit, like bitcoin7 or whatever it is called.

https://bitcoinconsultancy.com/wiki/index.php/Intersango

Which runs Britcoin.
Activity: 348
Merit: 250
June 16, 2011, 02:22:56 PM
I suspect it's just someone trying to sell a lot of coins for around $20.  The market naturally wants to keep going up as it has been for the past few months, but it can't pass $20 with this entity trying to unload some huge number of coins.  Eventually the coins will all be sold and the price will continue to rise.
Activity: 210
June 16, 2011, 02:17:54 PM
Its really sad when uninformed people abuse the word manipulation because they don't understand some basic fundamentals about a market (any market).
Activity: 910
Merit: 1005
June 16, 2011, 02:15:59 PM
I'm also convinced there is some kind of manipulation going on. Can't make any sense of it, so i'm quitting while i'm ahead.
Activity: 315
Merit: 116
June 16, 2011, 01:45:55 PM
The sane thing could be said about the silver market for the past month or so...
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
June 16, 2011, 01:43:38 PM
Obvious manipulation is obvious. We need more exchanges. Why don't people use bitcoin-central.net? It is the only exchange for which we have the source, so that we can see that it isn't a pile of shit, like bitcoin7 or whatever it is called.

More liquidity!
Activity: 39
June 16, 2011, 01:40:57 PM
Not nearly paranoid enough, don't you know where you are?  Wink

Your post does actually sound very reasonable. I can also see the psychological barrier of $20 being a pretty natural one.
iya
Activity: 81
June 16, 2011, 01:37:23 PM
It's simply the low volume. Look at the chart, whenever there was low volume, there was flatlining.
The reality is that there are almost no traders, which would move the market based on incoming new information. Keep in mind that transaction costs are pretty high on MtGox. All the big up moves are caused by new people getting into Bitcoin, and all big down moves are caused by early miners cashing out.

Pages:
Jump to: