Pages:
Author

Topic: Someone just fired up some serious hashing power. - page 3. (Read 8490 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Meep.
I have nothing to add - just trying to work out how this'll affect the market.

Considerations:
1) Rate seems to go down at weekends (easier to sell, than buy I guess). Had been intending to sell now and then re-buy when the drop came.
2) Difficulty spike 'should' make coins value go up, I think price/difficulty has always roughly held.
3) Last week has been 'disruptive' - firstly somebody dumping their early coins and slamming the market, and now somebody minting them insanely.

This suggests that some well heeled personalities are stress testing the system.

4) Guess this all boils down to whether bitcoins will 'make it' and have 'value' - So far this has been a bubble perpetuated by us. If one person rolls up and takes all the coins, then I'm reasonably sure a fair few of us will drift away. Mr custom-chip (I love conspiracy) will have a shit-load of coins in a market that's losing interest. What will he do - he'll dump them. Personally I think if this happens, it's over.
5) Mt Gox market. Just looking at the spread, there are an awful lot more sellers than buyers. Maybe this is because buyers just rock up and pay what the market is asking, whilst sellers will leave high offers standing - but it's not a healthy supply/demand distribution.

I'll give you $10 for each of your's and then you can go take your Zoloft.

6) What do we do with bitcoins? Putting aside I have a few of them I'd like to sell for untold wealth, really? For a purely anonymous transaction, they're dandy - but this is surely a very rare transaction? Even on SR (which it vanishing can't help the price of BC) it can only protect the seller - whilst giving no protection to the buyer. At least if one were to mail off cash you'd have a clue where to go if ripped off.

Really?  You suffer from a serious lack of imagination, and seem to be heavily influenced by the BS media reports.  Does anyone really think that the feds have the resources to monitor the outgoing shipments of these vendors?  Do you people watch too much TV?  What do you think happens?  They set a stakeout of the guy's front mailbox?  No, these guys have runners that move the shipments to various dropboxes and post offices.  The cops don't have teh resources to follow them all, so the only reall option that they have is to arrest the runner, but then that tells the vendor that he is being watched, and he suspends business activities.  Nor does the government have the resources to intercept mail in route.  And if they started doing that often, UPS would start complaining openly about the cost burdens.  This kind of mail smuggling has been going on for decades.  The only new addition is Bitcoin.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
They'll level out over the next 24-36 hrs, Relax people

Bah - I like excitement.
I have no idea what I'm doing, but that almost adds to the fun.
CPU mined BC bought my rig - but difficulty rampings really take the fun out of it.
My 6990 would give me 2.5BC a day, so I bought another one. Day it arrived the pair just served up 2.3. Deepbit is seemingly telling me I'll now just get 1.3 a day... Yes, yes I can break even still, but *wavy-hands*  
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
The network data are incorrect following a difficulty jump.  It will take 24-48 hours to report accurate information.
Activity: 518
The stats are, as mentioned, off the mark after retarget. Probably because they are a mix of realtime data pulled from pool APIs combined with an estimate based on blocks generated over time – which is why "other" always seems to wait to power up a few thousand GPUs until right after the difficulty has gone up.
Activity: 54
They'll level out over the next 24-36 hrs, Relax people
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
What a bunch of n00bs.

Seriously, though...

You have to ignore those figures for at least 24 hours after a reset. It's an easy mistake to make, I'll admit. I wondered what the heck was going on the first time I saw it -- but I assumed something was messed up.
Activity: 32
Meep.
I have nothing to add - just trying to work out how this'll affect the market.

Considerations:
1) Rate seems to go down at weekends (easier to sell, than buy I guess). Had been intending to sell now and then re-buy when the drop came.
2) Difficulty spike 'should' make coins value go up, I think price/difficulty has always roughly held.
3) Last week has been 'disruptive' - firstly somebody dumping their early coins and slamming the market, and now somebody minting them insanely.
4) Guess this all boils down to whether bitcoins will 'make it' and have 'value' - So far this has been a bubble perpetuated by us. If one person rolls up and takes all the coins, then I'm reasonably sure a fair few of us will drift away. Mr custom-chip (I love conspiracy) will have a shit-load of coins in a market that's losing interest. What will he do - he'll dump them. Personally I think if this happens, it's over.
5) Mt Gox market. Just looking at the spread, there are an awful lot more sellers than buyers. Maybe this is because buyers just rock up and pay what the market is asking, whilst sellers will leave high offers standing - but it's not a healthy supply/demand distribution.
6) What do we do with bitcoins? Putting aside I have a few of them I'd like to sell for untold wealth, really? For a purely anonymous transaction, they're dandy - but this is surely a very rare transaction? Even on SR (which it vanishing can't help the price of BC) it can only protect the seller - whilst giving no protection to the buyer. At least if one were to mail off cash you'd have a clue where to go if ripped off.
Activity: 168
Me and a couple of buddies are sharing a 100 GH/s farm for solo mining :/
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
°^°
it's the illuminati, rockefeller and world bank assoiciations! they want back the total control...
Activity: 141
Is this from that guy a while back who said he was contracted all exclusively and hush-hush-like to do an FPGA miner for a company that had a bunch of FPGAs left over from Wall Street stuff? Or did *everyone* buy more hardware when the price spiked to $30 and it's all starting to come online?

Miners, status report!
Activity: 9
Holy crap! That does not bode well for us.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Dispite the difficulty jump this morning, the average blocks per hour has been rising steadily all day, and now stands at 12 blocks per hour according to bitcoinwatch.com.  Looking at the pie chart, it's definitely in the 'other' section, which has nearly taken half of the pie chart from it's normal position of less than 5%.
Pages:
Jump to: