Pages:
Author

Topic: SPACEX FALCON HEAVY TEST LAUNCH - page 3. (Read 392 times)

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
February 07, 2018, 06:29:35 AM
As far as colonizing the galaxy goes. I don't have the exact numbers of the milky way in my head anymore, but wouldn't it be possible for humans to just go from planet to planet slowly if we were capable of moving around close to the speed of light?

You can't just jump to the speed of light.  You need to accelerate large amounts of mass to 99% the speed of light - it takes INCREDIBLE amounts of energy (E=MC^2 and we know what a large number C is).

Currently, the slowest form of propulsion, and the most fuel-efficient, is the ion engine.  For the first half of your journey you would be pressed into your seat by acceleration, then the second half you would be turned around and pressed into your seat by deceleration.  I guess we would probably need to be unconscious.

Proxima Centauri is the nearest star, and it is ONLY 4.24 light years away.

So if ionic propulsion were to be used for a mission to Proxima Centauri, the thrusters would need a huge source of energy production (i.e. nuclear power) and a large quantity of propellant (although still less than conventional rockets). But based on the assumption that a supply of 81.5 kg of xenon propellant translates into a maximum velocity of 56,000 km/hr (and that there are no other forms of propulsion available, such as a gravitational slingshot to accelerate it further), some calculations can be made.

In short, at a maximum velocity of 56,000 km/h, you would take over 81,000 years to traverse the 4.24 light years between Earth and Proxima Centauri. To put that time-scale into perspective, that would be over 2,700 human generations.

Our Galaxy is 980,000 light years across.  :/
Activity: 1358
Merit: 834
February 07, 2018, 06:02:33 AM
Ah, you calling Einstein a little bitch eh?   Tongue

The running theory is that the speed of light is the limit in our universe.  We've even observed gravity waves moving out at the speed of light - but no faster.

Think about this for a second - if the speed of light is the absolute speed limit, then we will never meet alien life, nor we will colonize the galaxy.

Sobering thoughts.  :/
He was a nerd, of course he's a little bitch. Tongue

Jokes aside, while it's well possible that light is the end all be all upper speed limit, I still haven't seen anything that convinced me of that being the case. Heck, we're incapable of even really studying something like 95% of the "stuff" in our observable universe alone, and who knows how much is outside of it. Given from what I've learned from studying Mathematics I don't think that the universe could be in any way finite, so I'm expecting there to be an infinite amount of knowledge to be created in the future for as long as conscious beings exist. The "worst case" scenario would be that we're simply incapable of accessing superluminal speeds (as humans), but I would be quite surprised if they really weren't possible. Viability of practical applications aside, entanglement technically is one type of superluminal transmission of information that we know to exist.

As far as colonizing the galaxy goes. I don't have the exact numbers of the milky way in my head anymore, but wouldn't it be possible for humans to just go from planet to planet slowly if we were capable of moving around close to the speed of light? Galaxies other than the Milky Way would be a completely different story though. And that's ignoring the problem of the expansion of the universe, which drives "stuff" further away from us as time passes.

The sheer size of the universe makes it quite sobering to think of all the stuff that we might never experience if death turns out to be an actual end though. I'm already overloaded with things that I want to do just on earth alone right now, nevermind what will be possible in the near future.
Vod
legendary
February 07, 2018, 05:41:27 AM
as I have never seen any conclusive proof about light being the fastest possible transmission of information / upper speed limit.

Ah, you calling Einstein a little bitch eh?   Tongue

The running theory is that the speed of light is the limit in our universe.  We've even observed gravity waves moving out at the speed of light - but no faster.

Think about this for a second - if the speed of light is the absolute speed limit, then we will never meet alien life, nor we will colonize the galaxy.

Sobering thoughts.  :/
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
February 07, 2018, 05:37:03 AM
That was one of the best things I've ever watched while having breakfast!
Awesome!
February 07, 2018, 05:33:45 AM
I love this man. Can't wait to retire on Mars in a few decades. Hope the internet will be figured out to keep a realtime supply of earth memes.

You'll probably need to be a BTCBILLIONAIRE to do that....  Emigration to Mars will be limited for the first few decades and only the highest paying will get a ticket.

And physics states that any internet packet leaving earth will have a latency of 180 seconds! at Mars' closest approach to earth.  Obviously any information you are viewing will need to be pre-cached on the Mars-net, or you'll have to wait a few minutes each time you click a link.  Smiley
Working on the B. Smiley
Still got quite a few decades to get there, as well as for the first Mars colonies to develop, so I'm not very concerned. And that's ignoring potential breakthroughs in longevity research.

I'm fine with 180 seconds delay since I'd be mostly interested in whatever replaces Youtube and shitposting/lurking by that time. Who knows what will happen decades from now though, as I have never seen any conclusive proof about light being the fastest possible transmission of information / upper speed limit. It's a natural consequence in the Mathematics of GR (one naturally emerging limit case), but that's ultimately just a model (with immensely great success) that clearly still has massive gaps that remain to be filled by future models.
Vod
legendary
February 07, 2018, 05:09:49 AM
I love this man. Can't wait to retire on Mars in a few decades. Hope the internet will be figured out to keep a realtime supply of earth memes.

You'll probably need to be a BTCBILLIONAIRE to do that....  Emigration to Mars will be limited for the first few decades and only the highest paying will get a ticket.

And physics states that any internet packet leaving earth will have a latency of 180 seconds! at Mars' closest approach to earth.  Obviously any information you are viewing will need to be pre-cached on the Mars-net, or you'll have to wait a few minutes each time you click a link.  Smiley
February 07, 2018, 02:34:30 AM
Activity: 126
Merit: 5
Professional Translator (Malaysian Language)
February 07, 2018, 02:29:15 AM
One thing it proved to the naysayers that the earth is indeed round, and not flat...
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158
February 07, 2018, 02:00:53 AM
It is awesome, and this time we have roadster in space. Cheesy
Yeah its completely insane. Elon Musk is a masterful marketer too. The Roadster has David Bowie playing in radio.
He tweeted a photograph of a chip inside the roadster which reads "Made on Earth by Humans". How insanely inspiring and cool is that..

Everyone awaits the fate of the core stage now.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158
February 07, 2018, 12:58:59 AM
SpaceX successfully completed its test launch of the Falcon Heavy rocket. In typical Elon fashion, The simulated payload consisted on Elon Musk's own cherry red Tesla roadster with a dummy passenger (named Starman and wearing Tesla's spacesuit).
You gotta fucking love Elon.

The third booster hasn't been accounted for but they re-landed two of the boosters successfully. Its bloody epic to watch the live feed.

Guardian coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/science/live/2018/feb/06/spacex-falcon-heavy-launch-elon-musk-live-updates
Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbSwFU6tY1c

Every Man, Woman and Child everywhere should watch this... Smiley Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: