Pages:
Author

Topic: Spondoolies-Tech vs Bitmain for a larger operation? - page 4. (Read 7821 times)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
$.09 is about 2X what I'm paying in OH. I feel for you guys.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
but that will be certainly very hard to sell off in 4-6 months.

That's certainly a serious consideration. Looking at what the older hardware is bringing is part of the equation for me. To do this, I researched what the S3 originally sold for and what they're going for now to get a ballpark. Not a perfect science, but it's a consideration.

Like I said earlier, I ordered 5 of each and will rung them for a week or so to get a sense of which we like better from a management standpoint. There is still a lot to look into before I go ordering 150-300 of these things.

The information you all are providing is helping quite a bit. I really appreciate it!

I do not have the resource of low power cost to consider it for my setup.

I actually do like both a lot.

If I lived alone and power was cheaper in my area I would most likely run a lot of both.

By a lot  my home could run 30 at the max, but I would not mind having 50 sp20's and 20 s-5's  in a nearby warehouse.

The issue is cost of setup + power is too high in NJ, USA .

I can't get power less the 9 cents even with commercial rates.  It is sad that if I go to this hosting area in CHINA

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/lee-group1980-the-sales-of-first-batch-hosted-antminer-s7psu-included-934581   and get 30 s-5's  from him to be hosted by him I can't match it anywhere near my home.

That's certainly a serious consideration. Looking at what the older hardware is bringing is part of the equation for me. To do this, I researched what the S3 originally sold for and what they're going for now to get a ballpark. Not a perfect science, but it's a consideration.

Like I said earlier, I ordered 5 of each and will rung them for a week or so to get a sense of which we like better from a management standpoint. There is still a lot to look into before I go ordering 150-300 of these things.

The information you all are providing is helping quite a bit. I really appreciate it!
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
anyway for the best $/Gh/Power consumtion, and since you already have 6 racks, you coul go for the SP35

op mentions low power cost so if he uses :

1600 for the sp20   .61-.65 per watt

1275 for the s-5    .51 -.55  per watt

he has the 'safe' high numbers to predict earnings.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
Me = Mac guy: I have the 6-color apple logo tattooed on my left arm...

[meta] Wink FWIW, Professionally, I've been an exclusive Mac guy since about 2004. Still a hardcore gamer today, so I have a beefy PC rig for play/VR stuff, and the latest Mac Pro and MBP 15's for work.

I appreciate stuff that "just works" which is why I switched from Windows to Mac back then to begin with - had too many problems with PC's crashing doing heavy audio work, switching back and forth between programs... but that's another story...

It's for that same reason that I'm beginning to appreciate SPTech products, and am sad to hear they are leaving the "home-miner" market, but c'est la vie...
anyway for the best $/Gh/Power consumtion, and since you already have 6 racks, you coul go for the SP35

The PPTH on those is actually pretty high. I already ran the math on the SP35. It's $405 per TH.

That's the friend I mentioned in post #1.  Grin
Activity: 460
Merit: 500
Activity: 460
Merit: 500
If I could make an analogy, SPTech would be Mac, and Bitmain would be PC.

I was actually going to ask that very question in my initial post, but didn't want to start a whole other debate!

Me = Mac guy: I have the 6-color apple logo tattooed on my left arm...
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
You should run your operation as a business where you can take advantage of depreciation.
One other item you should consider is the final resale value.  No one knows this offcourse, but make a super conservative estimate.

In the next 2 months we're likely to see new equipment from several manufacturers...

Do the math as it may be better to buy btc right now and hold them for those 2 months etc...
legendary
Christian Antkow
Noise isn't a factor here. Just looking for the best bang/buck.
Honestly, it's probably a coin toss if you're doing a large purchase.

The build quality of the SPTech products is higher, but the Bitmain products will probably end up being the best "bang-for-buck" option IMO, but you're likely to have more issues with the Bitmain products in my experience.

The SPTech stuff "just works" and is solid.

If I could make an analogy, SPTech would be Mac, and Bitmain would be PC.
The room we're going to be using for our operation formerly had 6 42U racks of gear in it. We have plenty of power and cooling available. I know the form factor of these is quite a bit different than a typical server rack environment, but we're confident we can modify it to work for the space. We have absurdly cheap power pricing, so that's why we're considering this.

Noise isn't a factor here. Just looking for the best bang/buck.
legendary
Christian Antkow
Just a note on that distinction, because Bitmain has never made a miner that didn't fit a home-mining market
... and splitting hairs, one could argue that the noise generated by the S5 does not make it suitable for the home-mining market without fan modifications.

Downclocked SP20's at 20% fans doing a steady 1300GHs @ ~750W and are about as loud as an S3 going full tilt (~55-60dBA)

The S5's, which do not allow manual fan control, run at ~70dBA.

Disclaimer: I have empty rooms available to me that I house loud miners in, so my "home-mining" setup might not represent the norm - Running SP20's full tilt @ ~1.6GHs
legendary
Christian Antkow
Something which hasn't been mentioned yet, S6 Wink
[entirely speculative post based on thin air]
I'm honestly really looking forward to the S6, and any official water cooled solutions they have using their latest chips.

EDIT: Although I just picked up 3 more SP20's off EBay to replace all my S3's, so I have no idea where I'd put an S6 if it won't run on a 120V circuit...
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Some quick math has the Spondoolies coming out ahead. From the websites, the 52 and 15 unit pricing has the S5 with a Price Per TH at $357 and the SP20 at $215. That's a no-brainer. I haven't factored power consumption in yet. Still building out my Excel sheet.

Its worth balancing the S5 to 1250GH and the SP20 to 1625GH as those are the numbers most people achieve. SP20s do struggle to get up to rated speed, especially with any sort of ambient temperature while most people seem to get up to 1300GH with a sturdy PSU.

Also, if you drop me a PM [I'll give it to sales manager] I'm sure you can get a better price on the S5 for bulk.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Personally, I'm favoring SPTech lately, and feel that Bitmain is starting to become hostile towards the home miner.

Having said that, I understand SPTech is not targeting the home mining market for their next gen

Just a note on that distinction, because Bitmain has never made a miner that didn't fit a home-mining market, and before the SP20 Spondoolies never made a miner that did.

Depending on the model of Dell 1200, it might not take much to set you up with a good interface. We have all kinds of stuff for the 750s. Sure, drop a line.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Can't go wrong with either SPTech or Bitmain for the time being. Bitmain, IMO, is priced a bit high at the moment but it's really a coin-toss between the S5 and SP20. Both are great products.

Personally, I'm favoring SPTech lately, and feel that Bitmain is starting to become hostile towards the home miner.

Having said that, I understand SPTech is not targeting the home mining market for their next gen, so, the entire mining scene is in a transition right now with Bitmain seemingly starting to go the BitFury route Sad

Where else can anyone go?

The home market is dead.

The commercial cloud operations are the only people willing to buy in enough volume to keep these fabricators from folding up shop. This was the last time you will see most of these companies hawking wares here.
Thanks sidehack. I'll look at that, and PM you my email address so we can take it off-line.

I have a lot (like....300) older Dell 1200W PSUs from our old server farm. (Back when we still had iron servers) Perhaps I can use those? I know we have a ton of 750s too. I'll take inventory. Maybe they'll be useful....maybe not.

Some quick math has the Spondoolies coming out ahead. From the websites, the 52 and 15 unit pricing has the S5 with a Price Per TH at $357 and the SP20 at $215. That's a no-brainer. I haven't factored power consumption in yet. Still building out my Excel sheet.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Something which hasn't been mentioned yet, S6 Wink

[entirely speculative post based on thin air]
legendary
Christian Antkow
Can't go wrong with either SPTech or Bitmain for the time being. Bitmain, IMO, is priced a bit high at the moment but it's really a coin-toss between the S5 and SP20. Both are great products.

Having said that, I understand SPTech is not targeting the home mining market for their next gen, so, the entire mining scene is in a transition right now with Bitmain seemingly starting to go the BitFury route Sad
Pages:
Jump to: