Pages:
Author

Topic: Spreadsheet: Invest in BTC or mining hardware? - page 2. (Read 58708 times)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I finally did some reading about BitCoin today. I am impressed! This thread was very helpful.
I think rather than buying hardware, or buying BTC directly, I will try selling development work. I didn't see this discussed in this thread, as I take it most of the participants here are miners.

Anyone have any experience doing this? I've previously done dev work and been paid through paypal, but I've been burned badly by that route (as I'm sure you all can imagine).

Wheee! New hobby!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
Hmmmm, I'll have to think about a good way to do that trueimage.  It'll be complicated to add such a calculation in.  Either extreme is easy to calculate, but when I have to hold the price constant in the calculation for X number of days, well, there's just not an easy way to do it that I can think of.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
this spreadsheet looks great.

could you add a "traded weekly" and traded bi-weekly" summary, or something similar?

Because daily trading is unlikely unless you have 5 Ghash/s+ capacity I think, the amount of BTC you get is too low and the transaction fees and time required is too high.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
cans someone explain the "expected average change in difficulty" and the "next difficulty starts in this many days" fields?

Thanks in advance.  What are realistic numbers to plug in here?
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Very nice tool, thanks!
legendary
Should be fixed.  I am in the middle of switching web hosts.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
404 errors.
Activity: 297
Merit: 251
Founder, Filmmaker, Fun Guy
Your spreadsheet is very depressing.  It's so easy to forget how fast an exponential growth moves, I guess that's how we got a debt based currency.  In 6 months my 6 Giga hashes will get me 0.08 bitcoins per day!?

What makes no sense is bitcoins need to be $1000 in 6 months for me to continue mining.

Thats why I think the best place to profit is with BitCoin Business Davinci =)  BTW this is Brad from email we've been chatting back and forth about silver and bitcoins.
legendary
Your spreadsheet is very depressing.  It's so easy to forget how fast an exponential growth moves, I guess that's how we got a debt based currency.  In 6 months my 6 Giga hashes will get me 0.08 bitcoins per day!?

What makes no sense is bitcoins need to be $1000 in 6 months for me to continue mining.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...  Sad

I would advise people against investing in new mining hardware at this point.  It is still very profitable TODAY, but with the exponential growth not expected to decline any time soon, mining is going to have slim margins, at best, in the not-so-distant future.
Activity: 780
Merit: 510
Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
OpenOffice has and does. Although I think there is a way to install it without installing JRE as well if you're willing to unpack the installation files yourself.
legendary
I'm refusing to install JRE Grin
Lolwut?  Office requires JRE?
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
I'm refusing to install JRE Grin
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
With OpenOffice it works like a charm  Cheesy
legendary
Gah, my bad.  Try it again.
Error 404 - Not Found Cheesy
legendary
Is it possible to lower the requirements for this spreadsheet ie to work on Excel 2003 without installing compatibility addon?
Here you go:  http://www.justinbporter.com/bitcoin_mine_or_invest_1.32.xls

It gave a warning about the conditional formatting, so I'm not sure if the red/green highlights will still work, but the numbers themselves should be ok.
Is it possible to lower the requirements for this spreadsheet ie to work on Excel 2003 without installing compatibility addon?
legendary
You're right, thanks!  The latest spreadsheet should fix all of those issues.  Salvage value was not being included on the total net profit calculation, and initial capital expense was not being included in the total net profit if traded daily calculation.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019
Updated to 1.3... includes all of JJG's suggestions and phelix's suggestion to include calculations for selling immediately (or in this case, daily, since hourly would be a bit insane and impractical.

Next update, I'm going to notate all of the calculations in comments on each calculated field, so that others can more easily double-check my work (and I can double-check it myself while writing out the notations as well).

I think you forgot to add/subtract some cells in the sums for "total net profit" and "total net profit daily" in version 1.3.
Hmmm... any idea what I am missing?  I double checked it, and I did find one mistake in the net profit if traded daily... I wasn't including the uptime percentage in that calculation!  Other than that though, everything looked good.  To me, at least.

for short time frames the traded daily value gets much better than the stashed total profit. I think the cost of the cards is missing from the "total net profit daily". in the "total net profit" is the salvage hardware value included?

Pages:
Jump to: